4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Ever take a look at your undercarriage?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 09:48 PM
Kdaddy
2nd Gear Member

Default Ever take a look at your undercarriage?

So I'm not going to lie I've driven 3 winters now with a mustang (**** WV winters and salt). One with this mustang. I took a look the other day at my undercarriage and it's quite rusted. Rear end, Axles, Headers, crankshaft pulley, midpipe, driveshaft, etc. Speaking of midpipe I just noticed it doesn't look like a stock h pipe. It appears i have an aftermarket catted h pipe... Pretty weird i am just now finding this out; anyways.. It appears to be a surface rust. Should I be concerned? I don't plan on keeping this car for 20 years, but i would like to however keep it in great shape. I'll go obsessive on a 4v

Do you all have a similar scenario as mine? Is this "normal"? I kind of want to take it to the body shop and have it media blasted and painted with a rust sealant or should i spend that money on 4:10 gears? Hrm.. I'll post pics tomorrow.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:53 PM
grogan
3rd Gear Member

the rear and crank pulley on my car are both that rusty color aswell..it came that way from the factory for me. i would get the 4.10s. i have aftermarket headers, mid pipes and exhaust so i cant vouch for that. my driveshafts still aluminum and gray so i dont have any issues with that either...id do 410s
Old 03-13-2009, 10:29 PM
jwarner0297
4th Gear Member

go for the 4.10s.

I can't believe your shock to your undercarriage. I am under my car every other month and would have noticed little things far in advance,

I take it you don't do your own oil changes and maintenance?
Old 03-13-2009, 10:51 PM
HateWhatOwnsYou
2nd Gear Member

i say get the rust fixed

id rather take the pride in a nice clean car and save up for the gears later on

mine is the same way from the original owner and i plan on doing it once i figure out the best way....
i also have some bubbles in my paint at the end of my side skirt(on the lil lip of the fender that rolls into the wheel well) thats pissing me off lol......
Old 03-14-2009, 12:13 AM
MAD SVT
4th Gear Member

my car looks brand new underneath... its never been driven in the rain, i avoid puddles whenever possible and its 6 years old!! only 22k on the clock though..
Old 03-14-2009, 12:02 PM
Kdaddy
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jwarner0297
go for the 4.10s.

I can't believe your shock to your undercarriage. I am under my car every other month and would have noticed little things far in advance,

I take it you don't do your own oil changes and maintenance?
Nah i take it to the Dealership. They do a good job. To the poster above i envy you! Taking mine to the body shop to see what he can do for me.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:13 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Mine is so clean you can eat off of it. I never drive my car in chicago winters!
Old 03-14-2009, 01:10 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

I'm also lucky that I don't have to drive my Pony's in the NE winters!
Old 03-14-2009, 02:17 PM
Kdaddy
2nd Gear Member

Damn.. I don't have much to compare to. Your cars are literally rust free.. Seems like I'm out of the ordinary and I NEED to address these problems. I don't have pictures due to the rainy weather; However I'll get some ASAP. Also who would have thought auto body shops were closed today =/
Old 03-14-2009, 03:14 PM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

wow i didnt know a bunch of women drove mustangs....

my drive shaft (slightly), crankshaft pulley, rear end, stock manifolds, egr tube, and a few other things have surface rust. Its not bad but its there...110K on the clock, driven in the winter.

Its a car, meant to be driven. You can keep your car as pristine as you want, eventually some things will get surface rust. Every used set of stock manifolds I see are rusty.

OMG ITS RAINING I CANT DRIVE MY MUSTANG.....I can understand if you have 350+ hp, but otherwise, are you kidding me? You don't want to get your ***** wet? hahaha

Quick Reply: Ever take a look at your undercarriage?