4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

x pipe install gone bad! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 03:54 PM
jrherald420
5th Gear Member

a muffler shop can do it ,its just convincing them to do it....be prepaired to fork out a couple hundred bucks since most charge 70.00 an hour.. 1 bolt for me was 1 hour of work and to re thread 2 bolts was another hour....and i still have an exaust leak bad!!! thats why i was suggesting going the shorty headers route and taking aweekend to install them yourself.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:06 PM
Fobra
Banned

I dont see how you guys have managed to snap manifold bolts...
Old 03-16-2009, 05:52 PM
mrxr250rider
3rd Gear Member

well my cars 13 years old the h pipe was never taken off the car,all the bolts were rusted and a complete bitch to get off using hand tools and the one that snapped wouldnt budge and eventually snapped after trying to get it off for awhile.

its obviously not that uncommon since it happened to a few of us.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:53 PM
mrxr250rider
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jrherald420
a muffler shop can do it ,its just convincing them to do it....be prepaired to fork out a couple hundred bucks since most charge 70.00 an hour.. 1 bolt for me was 1 hour of work and to re thread 2 bolts was another hour....and i still have an exaust leak bad!!! thats why i was suggesting going the shorty headers route and taking aweekend to install them yourself.

well ill ask around and see how much they will charge if prices are like you say ill have to try to get a better torch or buy new headers.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:16 PM
jrherald420
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fobra
I dont see how you guys have managed to snap manifold bolts...
lol then you havent worked on many cars!!! it happens because the rust forms on the threads causing then to bond to the nut. when you apply tourqe it tends to rip the threads off the bolt or snapping the bolt, on top of that heating a nut/ bolt will weaken the strength of the bolt causing it to snap. this happens alot on cars that see salt and brine in the winter.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:08 AM
mrxr250rider
3rd Gear Member

yup. if you live somewhere that doesnt get snow or kept your stang garaged in the winter since it was new you probably wont have that problem.

if i have to get new headers(id like them,just dont wanna deal with the work) whats the easiest way to install them?
Old 03-17-2009, 09:03 AM
solman
1st Gear Member

When I did mine I just sprayed the bolts with PB Blaster a couple days before I took them off.
When you drill the broken one out set the drill on low speed that should help the drill bit life. It will just take longer.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:00 PM
jrherald420
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrxr250rider

if i have to get new headers(id like them,just dont wanna deal with the work) whats the easiest way to install them?
if youve got small hands you can do it from the top. if not its easyer and quicker to drop the trans and k-member a couple of inches to get to the header bolts.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:08 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by solman
When I did mine I just sprayed the bolts with PB Blaster a couple days before I took them off.
When you drill the broken one out set the drill on low speed that should help the drill bit life. It will just take longer.
Exactly, slow the drill down, keep the bit lubed, and just work at a steady pace, dont force it. I burned up a Snap-On bit tryna drill one out last week, but I still managed. Buy some decent metal drill bits, and just go to town on it. If you dont have a tap+die set, then just drill the hole out, and use a nut+bolt to hold the h-pipe on...Its a PIA, but its cheaper than new headers.

Originally Posted by jrherald420
if youve got small hands you can do it from the top. if not its easyer and quicker to drop the trans and k-member a couple of inches to get to the header bolts.
Its so much easier to just drop the k-member down and do it that way. Bloody knuckles arent fun.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:12 PM
jrherald420
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT

Its so much easier to just drop the k-member down and do it that way. Bloody knuckles arent fun.
true but dropping the k-member can scare the sh*t out of some people, also ive seen it done without dropping the k but the guy wasnt big at all and his hands fit down in there thats why i said that.

Quick Reply: x pipe install gone bad! HELP!