4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Cheap Bolt-ons ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 09:08 PM
tango2020

Default Cheap Bolt-ons ???

Is there a reason why I should stay away from UPR? Check this out.

http://www.uprproducts.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1711
Old 03-17-2009, 09:14 PM
Kdaddy
2nd Gear Member

Keylogger ^
Old 03-17-2009, 09:16 PM
Kdaddy
2nd Gear Member

..and stay away from metal air intake. It can heat soak and kind of defeats the purpose. Not that a cold air intake will do much for you anyways

And i've never cared for UPR. If you want UDP; Steeda makes the best out there. Everything else is bad.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:20 PM
tango2020

I'm confused. Some say CAI is a waste of money and others say "you have to let the engine breathe". CAI and free flow exhaust. Right now I'm plain stock and I want to change a few things that make a difference but that seems to be a matter of opinion as to what makes a difference. Anyone have REAL facts on CAI and exhaust?
Old 03-17-2009, 11:51 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Because you don't get much with CAI's...let alone metal tubed ones. If you look at your stock intake assembly you will see a rubber thingy that goes from the air filter cover to your fenderwell. Some people call it an "air silencer" and others call it the "snorkel". What it is suppose to do is to seal off the air filter assembly from the engine bay so it just sucks air from the fenderwell. But it is somewhat restrictive...also stock air filters are restrictive.

Get a K&N drop-in filter and remove the "snorkel" or just cut it so that it seals flush with the fenderwell opening. That way you get the cooler air from the fenderwell AND have a larger opening.

Getting a K&N drop-in filter cost like $55 and it is reuseable. Compare that to like $220-$240 for a good CAI (JLT and K&N are pretty much the only good ones...probably cause the tube isn't metal). So pretty much if you compare those 2 options, if you still go with the CAI route, you will be paying like 4 times more for just maybe 2 horsepower. Thats why people say it's not worth it. I had a K&N drop-in and I liked it. I just recently got a K&N CAI because I found it used.

Last edited by StriderTacticaL; 03-17-2009 at 11:54 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:04 AM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Why don't you tell us more about your car? is it a 5spd?

UPR makes some pretty inexpensive products but they are known to be ok for the track but are not durable on the street. I've heard that parts are prone to bending/breaking if you hit potholes and etc.

Check this out:

http://forums.corral.net/forums/show....php?t=1101501

And as far as your CAI.....seriously, just get a K&N air filter and forget about your air intake for a long time. Save your money and spend it on the time honored tradition of hotrodding - gears. They are cheap but install should only be done by experienced invidivuals and usually run about $200-$350 for the installation. I would strongly wait and pair it up with a tuner at the same time, that way you can recalibrate your speedometer for the new gears and also get more power with a new tune because the stock 87 octane tune from the factory is pretty conservative. You will feel a difference big time.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:31 AM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

theres nothing wrong with a nice CAI..its gives you some hp and looks cool. but i wouldnt get UDP's if i were. you. the only brand UDP's i would get would be steeda. not many mods help our cars, but they do add up once you've done all of them
Old 03-18-2009, 09:53 AM
mustangman281
Banned

Your car comes with a very good CAI and those UDP will shatter you oil pump. $169 for 5hp is a waste of money. Get gears and a tuner.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:22 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Gotta have the Gears...JLT CAI and tune!
Old 03-18-2009, 11:23 AM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

I have the JLT CAI. I was really impressed with the looks of it. For a first mod, it isn't too bad because when you pop the hood you can see something has been done vs just stickin a K&N in there. I did notice a diff, small, but it was there.

Quick Reply: Cheap Bolt-ons ???