4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

What do these trouble codes mean?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 12:37 AM
kongdong
2nd Gear Member

Default What do these trouble codes mean?

I have the following codes that I got from my car.

P1000
P0133
P0153
P1131

Can someone tell me what these codes mean please?
Old 03-26-2009, 12:59 AM
jivepepper
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kongdong
I have the following codes that I got from my car.

P1000
P0133
P0153
P1131

Can someone tell me what these codes mean please?
P1000

OBD2 (OBDII) Scan Test is Incomplete
The computer system or ECM, PCM (engine control module, powertrain control module) that controls your car is equipped with a basic operating program. This operating program is designed to control your engine, transmission, emissions, safety systems and more. If a scan has been performed by using a code scanner and a "scan could not be completed" code is retrieved further troubleshooting is necessary. Usually a trouble code P1000 or manufacturers equivalent. We have listed several reasons for this condition.

Stuck Engine Thermostat - If the engine thermostat has stuck open it forces the engine coolant to stay at too low causing the ECM/PCM to stay in open loop. This open loop creates a state of preprogrammed parameters were no diagnostic tests can be preformed. (the ECM/PCM is constantly waiting for the engine to heat up to operating temperature)

Shorted Oxygen Sensor/Coolant Sensor - The ECM/PCM relies on main sensors to operated, if one of these sensors is severely shorted it can cause the ECM/PCM to stay in open loop causing a code gathering incomplete trouble code.

Shorted Fuel Injector - If a fuel injector short circuits it can cause the engine not to run by shorting the injector driver. If the car doesn't run and a diagnostic trouble codes can be set for causing an code gathering incomplete trouble code like P1000

P0133
Oxygen Sensor Circuit Slow Response (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

P0153
Oxygen Sensor Circuit Slow Response (Bank 2 Sensor 1)

P1131
HO2S 11 Indicates Lean

Have been doing exhaust mods? I would look for a O2 sensor wire burnt against the ehaust or a wire going to one of the O2's shorting out.

http://www.2carpros.com/trouble_code...1000-P1099.htm
Old 03-26-2009, 01:04 AM
kongdong
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jivepepper
P1000

OBD2 (OBDII) Scan Test is Incomplete
The computer system or ECM, PCM (engine control module, powertrain control module) that controls your car is equipped with a basic operating program. This operating program is designed to control your engine, transmission, emissions, safety systems and more. If a scan has been performed by using a code scanner and a "scan could not be completed" code is retrieved further troubleshooting is necessary. Usually a trouble code P1000 or manufacturers equivalent. We have listed several reasons for this condition.

Stuck Engine Thermostat - If the engine thermostat has stuck open it forces the engine coolant to stay at too low causing the ECM/PCM to stay in open loop. This open loop creates a state of preprogrammed parameters were no diagnostic tests can be preformed. (the ECM/PCM is constantly waiting for the engine to heat up to operating temperature)

Shorted Oxygen Sensor/Coolant Sensor - The ECM/PCM relies on main sensors to operated, if one of these sensors is severely shorted it can cause the ECM/PCM to stay in open loop causing a code gathering incomplete trouble code.

Shorted Fuel Injector - If a fuel injector short circuits it can cause the engine not to run by shorting the injector driver. If the car doesn't run and a diagnostic trouble codes can be set for causing an code gathering incomplete trouble code like P1000

P0133
Oxygen Sensor Circuit Slow Response (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

P0153
Oxygen Sensor Circuit Slow Response (Bank 2 Sensor 1)

P1131
HO2S 11 Indicates Lean

Have been doing exhaust mods? I would look for a O2 sensor wire burnt against the ehaust or a wire going to one of the O2's shorting out.

http://www.2carpros.com/trouble_code...1000-P1099.htm
I have the full exhaust done from my long tubes and back. I'm not super familiar with how to find this wire. Would it be too much trouble for you to show me a picture of what to look for?
Old 03-26-2009, 01:42 AM
jivepepper
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kongdong
I have the full exhaust done from my long tubes and back. I'm not super familiar with how to find this wire. Would it be too much trouble for you to show me a picture of what to look for?

This is not from a 4.6 mustang but is similar. Each header will have one just follow the wire back to the engine compartment.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:24 PM
kongdong
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jivepepper
This is not from a 4.6 mustang but is similar. Each header will have one just follow the wire back to the engine compartment.

Thank you so very much for that picture. Just a question, when I got my long tubes and my high flow X-pipe installed I also installed one of those MIL eliminators. Is it possible that the MIL eliminator is perhaps bad and that's why those codes are being thrown or are you positive it's the wire? I'm just double checking because depending on your answer I'll ether try to do it myself or go back to the guy who installed them and rip him a new one.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:25 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Mil elims go bad more often than we like. I had a set that worked perfect for a year, got a tune so I didn't need them anymore. Took them off and sold them to someone on here for the cost of shipping and one of them didn't work.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:17 PM
jivepepper
3rd Gear Member

But I doubt it would cause the P1000 code
Old 03-26-2009, 04:11 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

^true
Old 03-26-2009, 04:42 PM
lilc1511
2nd Gear Member

it also wouldn't cause sensor 1 codes. MIL elims are for post cat o2 sensors, designated as sensor 2.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:13 PM
kongdong
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by lilc1511
it also wouldn't cause sensor 1 codes. MIL elims are for post cat o2 sensors, designated as sensor 2.
When the guy who installed them did the job he put longer 02 sensors because he said that they didn't reach anymore. I believe he did both the front and back but I'm not sure because I'm no mechanic. Could this be the problem?

Quick Reply: What do these trouble codes mean?