4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Hi-Tech stage 2's or???`

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 03:27 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

So whats with these Hi-Tech's cams saying you don't need new springs and almost everyone I've heard who has them don't use them?
Old 03-27-2009, 03:31 PM
10inch Terror
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by StriderTacticaL
Well I was looking at the CMS stage 2's and on their site it says "2800-6200 rpm. Gains of 30-35rwhp are common. Like 3.73 gear or better and 2800+ stall in auto's. MUST BE TUNED AFTER INSTALL."

What does that RPM range mean? is that the powerband? does that mean the car is not drivable below 2800? and the gain is only like 30-35....can't I get that with hi techs with stock springs and no low end loss?
RPM range is also know as the powerband. It is a general area, as there are many variables that can affect it...like better exhaust,etc,etc. It does not mean the car cannot be driven below 2800 rpm...That's just where the cams begin to "come in" so to speak. There is no low end loss at all with the Stage 1's or 2's. The 30-35 gain is peak-to peak over stock cams and is an average what most people gain. Upper RPMS is where these cam shine vs stock. 50+rwhp is not uncommon @ 6000rpm vs stock cams. We (CMS vs Hi-tech) just use 2 different approaches to the same goals....more performance. You can use stock springs with their Stage 2 because the lift is lower, but if you are going to drive your car the way they are meant to be driven then what is the sense on beating on stock springs and wearing them out? Also, 2 cams can produce the same peak HP # and be totally different animals. Total area under the curve is very important also. For example, I had a customer that had Comp 270's. He dynoed the car and took it to the track , swapped cams and took it to the track again. He raced FFW/NMRA in mod motor. The cams made within 2hp of each other...but with my cams the car went 2 tenths quicker.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:33 PM
10inch Terror
2nd Gear Member

Even their stage 1's say "2500-6000. Noticeable idle. Tune suggested. Gains of 25-30rwhp.
540/550 lift, 224/226 .050" duration, 110 LSA"

224/226....the HI-tech's are 234/230....wouldn't that be better?
Better for what? Now you are comparing a mild cam to a more aggressive cam.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:36 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Hmm thanks for replying. Well what I meant about the second part was that the Hi-tech's seem to have more lift compared to your Stage 1's even though your RPM range is higher than theirs.

Well that what I first thought but you just clarified it for me and I guess their RPM range could be the same.

So basically I intend to keep my car N/A for now but I IDEALLY would like something that might be ok with S/C or Nitrous too...but if not then it doesn't matter.

The reason why I wanted the Hi-Tech's is because of the HP claims I've been hearing and how they have no low end loss and etc etc. I would like to learn more about the CMS cams but i'm just really unfamilliar with cam jargon.

But roughly just based on viewing your selection of cams i'm guessing the stage 2's would be good for me? Since I can use them with my stock heads and ported heads if I later go down that route? Ultimately i'll be happy with close to or around 320-340rwhp but with the cams alone i'll be happy if I am just alittle over 300. So bring ignornant I'm guessing since these cams say 225/235 vs. Hi-Tech's stage 2's being 234/230.... does that mean you have more exhaust than intake and vice versa for the hi tech's? I thought my car suffers most in the intake and not exhaust?

You said I can use stock springs with the hi-tech's because the lift is lower....but don't the numbers above mean the lift is higher than yours?

Last edited by StriderTacticaL; 03-27-2009 at 05:39 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:55 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 10inch Terror
RPM range is also know as the powerband. It is a general area, as there are many variables that can affect it...like better exhaust,etc,etc. It does not mean the car cannot be driven below 2800 rpm...That's just where the cams begin to "come in" so to speak. There is no low end loss at all with the Stage 1's or 2's. The 30-35 gain is peak-to peak over stock cams and is an average what most people gain. Upper RPMS is where these cam shine vs stock. 50+rwhp is not uncommon @ 6000rpm vs stock cams. We (CMS vs Hi-tech) just use 2 different approaches to the same goals....more performance. You can use stock springs with their Stage 2 because the lift is lower, but if you are going to drive your car the way they are meant to be driven then what is the sense on beating on stock springs and wearing them out? Also, 2 cams can produce the same peak HP # and be totally different animals. Total area under the curve is very important also. For example, I had a customer that had Comp 270's. He dynoed the car and took it to the track , swapped cams and took it to the track again. He raced FFW/NMRA in mod motor. The cams made within 2hp of each other...but with my cams the car went 2 tenths quicker.
+50! Pun intended, go ahead and laugh!
Old 03-27-2009, 05:56 PM
10inch Terror
2nd Gear Member

But roughly just based on viewing your selection of cams i'm guessing the stage 2's would be good for me? Since I can use them with my stock heads and ported heads if I later go down that route? Ultimately i'll be happy with close to or around 320-340rwhp but with the cams alone i'll be happy if I am just alittle over 300. So bring ignornant I'm guessing since these cams say 225/235 vs. Hi-Tech's stage 2's being 234/230.... does that mean you have more exhaust than intake and vice versa for the hi tech's? I thought my car suffers most in the intake and not exhaust?
This is why you can't just compare 1 aspect of the cam grind to another. ALL the specs work together for the the cam to function. You are correct that my cams favour the exhaust..BUT, I also use a tight LSA (lower number) in conjunction with that. What the tight LSA does is INCREASE the amount of valve overlap. This creates a scavenging effect in the cylider. As the exhaust valve is open and the exhaust is rushing out the valve, the intake valve is already slightly open and the exiting exhaust creates a "vacuum" that helps pull in fresh intake charge from the open intake valve, theoritically "overfilling" the cylinder and thus making more HP.

You said I can use stock springs with the hi-tech's because the lift is lower....but don't the numbers above mean the lift is higher than yours?
No..you are quoting duration numbers, not lift. That is the amount of time in degrees that the valves are open. Lift is measured in inches and measures how far off the seat the valve is opened. 2 completely different things. Lift is what the stock springs can't handle

Hope that helps clear it up a little.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:59 PM
2Slo4u
1st Gear Member

....but don't the numbers above mean the lift is higher than yours?
The numbers you were comparing above are duration not lift numbers. The Hi-tech 2's may have more duration, 234/230 vs CMS stage 2's @ 225/235 but the CMS cams have more lift, 560/575 vs Hi-tech stage 2's @ 550/550.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:04 PM
10inch Terror
2nd Gear Member

But roughly just based on viewing your selection of cams i'm guessing the stage 2's would be good for me? Since I can use them with my stock heads and ported heads if I later go down that route?
Correct, you would have room to grow into them down the road. Most ported 2V heads get max flow around .550 ish (give or take for arguments sake). Most times you want the lift to be about 10% higher than peak flow. If your heads flow best at .550, then you'd want a valve lift a little higher than that. Hence, why my cams have higher lifts. If your heads flow great at .550" lift, you would be giving up HP by only opening the valves lower than that number. Of course there are many other variables, but im trying to keep the explanations as simple as possible for people.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:06 PM
10inch Terror
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2Slo4u
The numbers you were comparing above are duration not lift numbers. The Hi-tech 2's may have more duration, 234/230 vs CMS stage 2's @ 225/235 but the CMS cams have more lift, 560/575 vs Hi-tech stage 2's @ 550/550.
thanks! I type too slow...LOL!
Old 03-27-2009, 06:40 PM
JayC
4th Gear Member

Cams were an easy decision for me. I simply looked at what the fastest 2V cars were using..... CMS Stage II's. The Hitech stage II's seem to work well with stock heads but so far I only know of one decent running car with them. There are dozens of CMS II cars at the top of every "Best E.T." list.

Quick Reply: Hi-Tech stage 2's or???`