4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

HELP! installed LTHeaders ,stalls on idle now

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 11:16 PM
blackshadow2004

Angry HELP! installed LTHeaders ,stalls on idle now

ok, I just installed bbk long tube headers with off road bbks shorty x pipe and o2 extensions all hooked up. Now my car idels hard on an off. at idle my rpms go up and down from 600 normal up to 1000 or more then it drops below 500 then dies. It starts back up fine every time. What is going on? Am I running lean and needs to be tuned. My idel sensor was replaced and still this goes on??? ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT....DO Y'ALL KNOW OF A PLACE THAN CAN DO A GOOD JOB ON TUNING MY CAR WITH A BUDGET IN MIND, GOT LAID OFF 2 MONTHS AGO AND REAL TIGHT ON FUNDS...I LIVE AROUND HW6/290 AREA.

thanks for all your replys

2004 mustang gt automatic

bbk long tubes
trickflow plenuim
75mm throttle body
373 gears
bbk cold air intake
steeda under drive pullies
bbk shorty o/r x pipe
magnaflow cat back

Last edited by blackshadow2004; 04-02-2009 at 11:28 AM.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:31 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Is your car tuned? What's your A/F at? if you have a Wideband A/F.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:40 PM
GTRACER88
5th Gear Member

Make sure your O2 are hooked up properly. Did you expierence the problem imediatly after your install. Or did it take a while. If it took a while also try cleaning your IAC and MAF, maybe check your fuel filter. If you had the problem instantly i would bet its a problem with your O2 sensors. Does it smell like Gas from your exhaust. Like ALOT of gas smell.

Last edited by GTRACER88; 04-01-2009 at 11:42 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:30 AM
pcs
4th Gear Member

your car should not be to lean, i had no probs when i installed my lt bbk with short o/r x pipe and flowy cat back. check your o2's. any codes or check engine lights?
Old 04-02-2009, 07:44 AM
blackshadow2004

Originally Posted by Mustang3GT07
Is your car tuned? What's your A/F at? if you have a Wideband A/F.
my car has not been tuned......this began once I installed headers,,, I drove it open headers to a shop to finish the exhaust and no stalls then.... just after the completion of the 02's and x pipe hook up
Old 04-02-2009, 07:51 AM
blackshadow2004

Originally Posted by GTRACER88
Make sure your O2 are hooked up properly. Did you expierence the problem imediatly after your install. Or did it take a while. If it took a while also try cleaning your IAC and MAF, maybe check your fuel filter. If you had the problem instantly i would bet its a problem with your O2 sensors. Does it smell like Gas from your exhaust. Like ALOT of gas smell.
it began right after header install,, I even drove it about 15 miles open headers no 02's hooked up, kept under 20 mph though, to a shop to finish the job for me, hooking up the xpipe b/c i need small welding done and they pluged in my 02s then all this began. I plan to have it looked at today.

I just smell exhaust no gas,,, would un pluging the battery 2 let the comp reset help u think? I am laid off cant aford any more on my right now,, man bad timeing for me......thanks for your quik reply
Old 04-02-2009, 07:52 AM
4.698GT
4th Gear Member

How about some mil elminators so the car thinks it has cats again?
Old 04-02-2009, 09:36 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Whenever idle problems pop-up you should disconnect the battery for 5-7 minutes to reset the KAM.

There is also generally a need to alter the O2 Transport Delay table to increase the values by 15% to 25%. This table defines the the amount of time in which the PCM expects to see a change in AFR, from the time that it commanded the change--for the current load and rpm.

Most long tube headers move the "front" O2 sensors considerably downstream from OEM location, requiring changes to this table to do things right.

However, the EEC-V PCM adaptive learning process also can learn (within some limits) new values for the transport delay. Resetting the KAM will restart that learning process and there may be enough wiggle room so that altering the table is not necessary.

----------------------------
Also, it appears this needs to be said once again--the rear O2 sensors have nothing to do with engine control--zip, zilch, nada.

All they do is monitor the efficiency of the cats, and trigger a DTC if the cats are found to be lacking...
Old 04-02-2009, 05:36 PM
bluepony4.6
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Whenever idle problems pop-up you should disconnect the battery for 5-7 minutes to reset the KAM.

There is also generally a need to alter the O2 Transport Delay table to increase the values by 15% to 25%. This table defines the the amount of time in which the PCM expects to see a change in AFR, from the time that it commanded the change--for the current load and rpm.

Most long tube headers move the "front" O2 sensors considerably downstream from OEM location, requiring changes to this table to do things right.

However, the EEC-V PCM adaptive learning process also can learn (within some limits) new values for the transport delay. Resetting the KAM will restart that learning process and there may be enough wiggle room so that altering the table is not necessary.

----------------------------
Also, it appears this needs to be said once again--the rear O2 sensors have nothing to do with engine control--zip, zilch, nada.

All they do is monitor the efficiency of the cats, and trigger a DTC if the cats are found to be lacking...
Good point! I just had the shop adjust the 02 transport delay and my problem was solved. Until I developed a leak at the slip joint.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:53 PM
mustangman281
Banned

Check the egr for leaks.

Quick Reply: HELP! installed LTHeaders ,stalls on idle now