4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

removed cats, installed MIL elims, still cel light

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 08:02 PM
Vic

Default removed cats, installed MIL elims, still cel light

its not a stang but a 98 crown vic 4.6 sohc, my cats were clogged so i got a local shop to make me some strait pipes going from the manifold to connect to the rest of the pipe. i told them to put all 4 o2 sensors on it but i found out yesterday that they only put the front 2. i bought some bbk MIL eliminators and plugged them into the front 2 sensors and to the car.

but im still getting a cel for o2 sensors.

should i move the mil elims to the rear o2 sensor plug? it doesnt have a rear 02 sensor but will it still fool the computer into thinking it has cats?

EDIT: the front 02 sensor plug wont reach to the rear 02 sensor plug, even with the mil's being a few inches long
Old 06-18-2005, 08:30 PM
David_K
5th Gear Member

Default RE: removed cats, installed MIL elims, still cel light

open up your instrament panal and getr some flat black paint and paint over the light
Old 06-18-2005, 08:46 PM
sickspeedgt
3rd Gear Member

not sure if its the same on crown vics............. i don't see why it would be different, but my mil elimnators spliced into the rear O2 sensors (although i have a mustang)......... no harm in trying
Old 06-18-2005, 08:51 PM
Vic

well the ones i bought wer plug in, i had to trim 2 tabs, i checked all the crown vic forums, and hear that they do work for the vics. but nobody can tell me if they will work without the sensor being plugged into the mil eliminator
Old 06-18-2005, 09:05 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

you need them on the rear. It won't work in the front sensors.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:28 PM
Vic

i know but they didnt put my rear o2 sensors in, nor did they put a bung...so can i still use the mil on the rear without the 02 sensors?
Old 06-18-2005, 11:34 PM
STANGTVERT
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Vic

i know but they didnt put my rear o2 sensors in, nor did they put a bung...so can i still use the mil on the rear without the 02 sensors?
It might be a leak.......I had a leak through the right header gaskets and the light kept coming off even with MILS elim, get a read out from the computer using an OBDII scanner
Old 06-19-2005, 12:13 AM
pete1665
2nd Gear Member

im pretty sure that you still need to have the o2 plugged in for the eliminator to work... and yes it would have to be on the rear o2s
Old 06-19-2005, 03:02 AM
UhadMEatGT
2nd Gear Member

Your gonna have to break down and buy two more 0*2's for the rear. If there is no place for them to go you can order them cheap off of Ebay and have them welded in. If your fronts ever go bad, just switch the new back ones to the front and the crappy ones to the back with the MIL's.
Old 06-19-2005, 03:09 AM
jishead
2nd Gear Member

You must either get a rear O2 bung with O2's installed so that you can MIL them -OR- get a engine programmer to overide that error -OR- ignore the light (not recommened, how would you know if there was an additional, more serious error?). The straight tube needs a bung for your rear O2's and MILs. If you install MILs on the front O2's that is bad. You will be slowing down the timing pulses to the computer. The front O2's are used for fuel calculations, not just idiot emission warning lamp/error. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: removed cats, installed MIL elims, still cel light