4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Mustang death?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 08:37 PM
yuengling910
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Alias3800
I left for the weekend to my gf's and left the car untouched, but I had changed the spark plug and coil pack. I hadn't turned it on yet.

The spark plug's threads were still there btw, the old one, but I exchanged it for a new one anyways. Miraculously enough, the sound is gone. Maybe it was a piece of carbon that broke off and was being batted around in the engine.. I've driven it around a little without fail, but I'm taking it easy for the next few days. I'll report back if anything.

Thanks for all your help guys, I definitely learned a hell of a lot. The car is still running rich at first, but within the month I'm hoping I'll be able to install a nos wet kit and get a damn dyno tune. The latter is what I'm hoping will fix the crappy gas smell.
spark plug threads = steel. head = aluminum. you need the check the threads on the head itself. did you torque the plug when installing? still sounds like air leaking from a cylinder to me.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:21 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Yep, still leaking. You need to start accepting the fact that compression is not there in that cylinder, this ain't no damn carbon. As the above mentioned the weaker aluminum threads are what gave....that or the lack of compression caused your piston to cause extra damage to the cylinder because it isn't stroking just right.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:45 PM
Alias3800
1st Gear Member

Yup I'm pretty sure there's not much more for me to do than leave that **** at the mechanic and let them start charging me.. Any advice for that?
Old 04-14-2009, 09:51 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by Alias3800
Yup I'm pretty sure there's not much more for me to do than leave that **** at the mechanic and let them start charging me.. Any advice for that?

My advice? You should have listened to me about 35 posts ago when I said you blew the spark plug. Installing a new plug obviously didnt fix the problem (I knew it wouldnt) Please tow this car to a good shop and have them fix it, before you completely ruin that head. Theres my advice
Old 04-14-2009, 10:19 AM
Alias3800
1st Gear Member

"My advice? You should have listened to me about 35 posts ago when I said you blew the spark plug. Installing a new plug obviously didnt fix the problem (I knew it wouldnt) Please tow this car to a good shop and have them fix it, before you completely ruin that head. Theres my advice"

Listen dude, I had to take everyone's advice, including the people outside the forums. Although "blowing the spark plug" seemed sound, I still had to leave that as a second choice because once I leave it at the mechanic, they can call it any number of things. Since I haven't had the pleasure of having my car break down once a month, I don't know who the best mechanic in town is. The only shop I've been to would take about a week to even begin to work on it. My plan for today is to call a couple of shops and get estimates on head repairs/changes, given that they have to mess with the engine either way. So, whitefox, I'm still in the process of finding a "good shop." I'll let you know how it works out.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:31 AM
Alias3800
1st Gear Member

Trust me, I'd be more ecstatic about this damage if a) New heads had ever been on my list of mods and if b) I wasn't dirt poor waiting for a school loan to come in. So I apologize if I don't sound thrilled about it.

We've pummeled this topic to the ground, so I'll let you know what it is when the mechanic checks it out. Thanks for everything guys.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:43 AM
glittle75

its not the point of having your car break down every month, its the point that the 2v heads are WELL KNOWN for blowing plugs out, it is a common problem, google it, you'll see.

and my advice, try everything you can do to replace the head yourself, you can get a nice used head for under a hundred dollars, some new head bolt, and everything else is allready on your motor, you pretty much dont need anything esle but tools and time. you could do it in a day, a weekend at the most if your not mechanically inclined.

not trying to insult you, but from reading this thread from post one to the end, the mechanic you take it to is gonna rape you on charges. if you cant do the little bit of research to figure out this is a common problem, you aint gonna notice when he puts 100k mile plus parts on your car and charges you for new. and of coarse he's gonna run into other problems, every mechanic thats is doing business with someone that doesn't know cars does.

i bet you end up paying over a grand for this repair, when you could do it so much cheaper with a little patience.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:09 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Yea it sucks having other people in your ear that think they know whats better for your car than you do(and by that I mean IRL). But tell them youl be glad to let them handle it and their tone will change. Personally id just do what these guys say, we are the ones that work on...use and put these things to the test more than anybody else.

But before everything....please please please.....PLEASE do not take that car to a mechanic and say "ITs all ****ed up I have no clue whats wrong." I BEG of you do not do this. Because he will find out what is wrong all right. You are 100% at his mercy if you do this. At LEAST narrow it down to the cylinder, cylinder head, piston, spark plug or whatever. I would also suggest telling him NOT to repair any damage until he calls you about each individual broken part with an explination. That way you can relay to us so we can help you not get bent over.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:04 AM
Alias3800
1st Gear Member

I was actually glad it was common problem and not something that I ****ed up directly by driving it hard (like overheating something). If that were the case I don't think anyone here would've wanted to help me out. For some reason they don't advocate me driving fast, whatever the environment. Go figure.

I was planning on taking it in and telling them to call me before doing anything and that I can purchase the part on my own, 'cause I had actually been researching heads.. I took it yesterday to a pretty decent looking mechanic, and turns out the new sound is only due to the new coil pack arching out and not being bolted down. They disconnected that pack and the sound ceased to exist. Then connected it back up and pushed it down a little and it decreased. And they didn't charge me anything, just told me to come back if something went wrong. So, I'm just going to return that coil pack and I ordered one thast bolts down from summitracing. Right now the coil pack is being held down tightly (in the mean time) under what I believe is the fuel rail, and I can't hear the sound any more.

I find it hard to believe though, given what you guys have said. I guess only time will tell. For the time being though, it's not giving me any ****. Regardless of what happens, thanks for all the help guys, I knew I could count on finding some really knowledgeable people here.

If something arises I'm taking it to the mechanic, but if within a month all is fine, I'm gonna continue with my short mod list. Gotta wait for that loan to come in... then I'll be comfortable with the damn car messing up.