4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Camshafts, Heads and HP

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 07:54 AM
JamesDean
2nd Gear Member

Default Camshafts, Heads and HP

I have a 2003 Mustang GT with:
BBK LT headers
BBK H-pipe
Magnaflow cat-back
K&N CAI
Accufab Plenum and TB
3:37 Gears
Steeda Pulleys
Diablo Sport Tune

Recently, I was interested in buying a supercharger. I realize that it is more bang for the buck when compared to cam and heads but I am worried about my engine in the long run with a supercharger. So for now I would like to explore cam and heads as an alternative option. My mustang is a daily driver, in the summer, and I would like to know what cam and heads combination would work well with this setup as well as estimates on hp and torque gains. Actual number would be nice if someone has a similar setup but estimates would be more than enough. Hp estimates with stage I cams with stage II heads or Stage II cames with stage II or III heads.

Any additional information on this topic would be nice since I know next to nothing about cams and heads. This would include problems, or brands to avoid, or any parts other than the cam and heads that I might need to purchase so I can estimate the cost. So have at it.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:37 AM
cobra dreamer
2nd Gear Member

look in to cms cushmanmotorsports cams and foxlake heads it should but you around
320+ hp to the wheels i am running his stage 2 n/a cams and love them i am right around 300 to the wheels and heads are going on in the next couple weeks so i dont know whre i will be at i am hoping aroung 330 at the wheels and those are stage 2 heads also
Old 04-12-2009, 09:11 AM
DVS_Z28
2nd Gear Member

i think youll be somewhat dissapointed after all the money spent and only making 330rwhp at most. can you do your own labor? if not then tach on at least a grand to the 3k+ spent on parts. i wouldnt go any bigger than a stage 2 cam in ur case.

but let me ask this, why does a s/c scare you? i ran my vortech for about a year and a half at 11psi or so and made around 400rwhp and never had the first problem. plenty of other people are making much more than i did (on stock bottom ends) and have been fine for longer. and i by no means babied my car. i beat the hell out of it from day one of owning it. so yet again, what scares you about s/c?

Last edited by DVS_Z28; 04-12-2009 at 09:14 AM.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:13 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

A supercharger has no long term effects that harm your engine. If you want to keep the car at 350-400 you can drive your car for 10 years and never have a problem if it's well maintained. The problem is Owners get greedy....and want more. I'd say anything over 425 is questionable for long term.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:42 AM
JamesDean
2nd Gear Member

I'm not afraid of the supercharger. I'm exploring other options. I like the old car sound and the rough idle acoustics generated by a camshaft. My dad has a 66 Ford Fairlane and it sounds amazing. I know that because my car is not a 390 it will never sound like that but I am looking for a something that would put my car in the same realm.

Right now it’s just a brainstorm and I can’t find any information on camshafts because every one tells me to supercharge the mustang. I have read tons of information about supercharging my mustang, and I have a kit picked out already if I decide to travel that route. But as a result of everyone on the planet (metaphorically speaking of course) continually telling me to go with a supercharger, I feel a greater urge to go with the camshafts because everyone has a supercharger. I am not caught up in the need for an instant desire to have the fastest car around. Its never going to happen. I just want to make my car faster to satiate my own desires, which are enormous but I am a patient man.

In either case (supercharger or camshaft) I am not skilled enough to do the work myself. So I will have to pay someone to install either one. Besides with either option, I always go back and add the other, even though it would result in the need to upgrade additional parts. BUT lets face it a true car MAN is never done modifying his car. If he ever stops it is because he has run out of possible upgrades, in which case its time to get another car to work on.

So back to the camshaft any information to answer my questions would be nice.

Estimated HP/torque gains?
Parts that I would need other than Camshaft and Heads?
Brands to buy/avoid?
Problems down the road?
Tune? Is this done upon install or something that I have to ask them to do?
Old 04-12-2009, 09:57 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

20-35hp from cams NA

Always replace stock springs (i don't care if it says too or not)

Comps are generic

Cushman Motorsports are the best cams

you'll need a tune to maximize.

No problems down the road if everything is tuned correctly

If you are un-tuned you're sitting at around 240rwhp. Adding cams will roughly put you around 270ish with a tune. Heads will give you about another 35rw. The cheapest you could go would cost about $2100 with out labor. And at maximum best case scenario you'd be at 320.

For 3500 you can have 380rw and be a pulley away from 400-420
Old 04-12-2009, 11:36 AM
JamesDean
2nd Gear Member

So with cams and heads I am looking at about a minimum of 50hp? My car with the modifications tested about 250rwhp. So I would be looking at a conservative estimate of 300 hp?

Is the tune something the shop would do normally with the installation of the cams or something additional I would have to ask for?

Are stage II cams and heads street able?
Old 04-12-2009, 11:52 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JamesDean
So with cams and heads I am looking at about a minimum of 50hp? My car with the modifications tested about 250rwhp. So I would be looking at a conservative estimate of 300 hp?

Is the tune something the shop would do normally with the installation of the cams or something additional I would have to ask for?

Are stage II cams and heads street able?
No tuning is extra and normally runs about 450+ for a good Custom Dyno tune. (Mail order tunes are only good for stock trim) Stage 2 cams are totally streetable.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:01 PM
JamesDean
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for all the help. I will now spend my time acquiring the funding and deciding to go with cams or a supercharger.
Cams + heads = 3000 in parts + 1500 labor = 4500 for min of 50hp
Supercharger = 4500 in parts + 1000 labor = 5500 for min of 100hp.

Does this sound right?
Old 04-12-2009, 12:36 PM
cobra dreamer
2nd Gear Member

fox lake heads 1700 cams 600 1000 for install =3300
you can get a blower for these cars used for about 2500 or so just look around
and if you spend a 1000 dollars to have a blowr installed your nuts its a easy bolt on maybe a day or so of work

Quick Reply: Camshafts, Heads and HP