4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Need Help! 96 GT, not running strong..

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 08:03 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Don't be fooled by good looking wires. If the previous owner or mechanic pulled on it to hard it could have stretched the wire inside and ruin it. I've actually did it a few times, lol.

Swap the 8 like someone above said.

(Don't over Tq the plugs the 2v is notorious for blowing out plugs and make sure you use Anti-Seize)

The O2 is more than likely the culprit for the codes but like they said there are a few possibilities.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:38 AM
5.0 85 GT
3rd Gear Member

my 02 was just missing under 1k rpms...so it sounded like a cam but it didnt have one...itd have this weird little pop....but after replacing the misfire cylinder coil packs, the car had no more burble at idle, so it basiaclly only ran like crap when it had the misfire, your car sounds like it just needs a full cleaning....may i suggest seafoam?? i used it on my 93 f150, and my olg gt's, it seemed to do wonders to my truck, and made a decent improvement on my 94 5.0....you turn the car on and pull off the vacuum line on the intake and suck it in the intake..turn the car off, pour a little in the gas tank, like 1/4 to a 1/2 and pour the majority in the intake though, DO NOT Pour it in the oil because you have to change it soon after..so just do the intake and gas tank...but good luck with it and keep us postd
Old 04-19-2009, 10:16 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 5.0 85 GT
my 02 was just missing under 1k rpms...so it sounded like a cam but it didnt have one...itd have this weird little pop....but after replacing the misfire cylinder coil packs, the car had no more burble at idle, so it basiaclly only ran like crap when it had the misfire, your car sounds like it just needs a full cleaning....may i suggest seafoam?? i used it on my 93 f150, and my olg gt's, it seemed to do wonders to my truck, and made a decent improvement on my 94 5.0....you turn the car on and pull off the vacuum line on the intake and suck it in the intake..turn the car off, pour a little in the gas tank, like 1/4 to a 1/2 and pour the majority in the intake though, DO NOT Pour it in the oil because you have to change it soon after..so just do the intake and gas tank...but good luck with it and keep us postd
Seafoam is snake oil and can actually harm a high mileage engine with questionable rings. Never use seafoam on a car that you don't know how it's been cared for. I don't doubt the priciple of cleaning the engine but for our application I see it being more harmfull than not.

Just leave it for the DSM's. Heck I'd run Trans fluid through my engine before seafoam, lol.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:20 AM
5.0 85 GT
3rd Gear Member

^^^^ahah ok...ill keep that in mind, when you think about it that is true, my 94 gt was beat to hell so i figured anything was better than what it has, an dmy 93 f150 with 196k on it has always been babied and that thing will never die, so i used it on that..
Old 04-19-2009, 06:50 PM
Deputy2B4Life

Well... today I took the Mustang over to the garage and took the air filter out.. cleaned it the MAF and extremely dirty throttle body. I also replaced the pully above the tensioner.. I took the scanner and reset all the codes. Almost instantly I could tell a big difference in the way it runs. It smoked some when I started it.. I assume it was from the brake cleaner in the throttle body. I didnt replace the plugs but Im going too as soon as I get paid. Its running alot better, but still has a miss at low rpm. Its alot better than it was though..
Old 04-19-2009, 09:37 PM
5.0 85 GT
3rd Gear Member

ok, good to hear, the smoke was fromt he brake cleaner int he tb btw...also the miss will NOT go away until you replace the coil packs and plugs...that will deffinately make it better, i just cant beleive how packed with crap your car is..good to hear shes coming along
Old 04-20-2009, 12:04 AM
Deputy2B4Life

yea i was shocked when I opened the throttle and seen all that.. it almost looked like the inside of the throttle body was painted black.. Its alot better now.. Not right, but alot better.. Im gonna get the plugs and fuel filter on pay day.

Hey I got another question for ya... I was looking in an old box of car stuff and found a nice Auto Meter Ultra Lite Air/Fuel guage.. I was thinking that since I had it laying around that Id put it in the mustang.. I always thought those things looked neat.. lol anyways, hmm... oh yea I was gonna buy a dual pod that replaces that factory clock on the dash.. Assuming I have to buy another gauge to fill that extra hole.. What type of guage should I buy? I want something that matches.. Should I get a Volt, or Temp or What? Thanks
Old 04-20-2009, 01:25 PM
5.0 85 GT
3rd Gear Member

ahah yea thats cool...summit racing has that gauge pod for 32 bucks in the mustang section....but i would put in a BOOST gauge for that blower u were thinking about!! ahaha...but yea i would get something like oil pressure or volt gauge...thatd be cool
Old 04-27-2009, 08:12 PM
Deputy2B4Life

Well, I finally got he running right.. I cleaned the MAF, throttle body, installed new plugs, and bank 2 o2 sensor.. Its running great, but its still slow.. I know its running right, but its half the car of my old fox body.. I gess Im gonna have to buy gears now..
Old 04-27-2009, 08:30 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

That's good. What gear ratio do you have?

Quick Reply: Need Help! 96 GT, not running strong..