after pi swap low power and trans knock... - MustangForums.com

Go Back  MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang
Reload this Page >

after pi swap low power and trans knock...

4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

after pi swap low power and trans knock...

Old 04-14-2009, 06:58 PM
stangalator
4th Gear Member

Default after pi swap low power and trans knock...

Ok, i just installed my new harmonic balancer in the stang. it made the very bad vibrations go away, but there are still vibrations under 2 grand, when in gear like 3rd at 1.5k rpm and you give it about 50% gas it will vibrate very very bad... I thought maybe the spark was the issue, but something curious happened. I removed a spark plug wire and the car didn't change idle at all... I tried several others on different coils and the idle didn't change. I did gap the spark plugs from .054 to .04 because of the compression increase i though this was necessary. One of the connections for the coil is bent a little in the upward position, like someone hit it on mistake. When i had one of the spark plug wires off the spark jumped from inside the coil to the connection, how can i tell if one of the coils is bad?

I have a video of the knock from the transmission, sounds like its coming from the gears them selves and not the clutch/pressure plate area.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsSEFEJlJ7M
My guess is a bent fork, any thoughts?

so bad idle and transmission knock, must be my lucky day
Old 04-14-2009, 10:15 PM
stangalator
4th Gear Member

anyone have any ideas?
im kind of caught between a rock and a hard place
Old 04-14-2009, 10:25 PM
mustangman281
Banned

Sounds like the fingers on the pressure plate are bent of the TOB is destroyed.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:43 PM
stangalator
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangman281 View Post
Sounds like the fingers on the pressure plate are bent of the TOB is destroyed.
i thought that too, but then i tried taking the cable off and pulling the level all the way back so the TOB isn't touching the pressure plate and it still makes that sound. The sound also goes away if you try to push it into gear without hitting the clutch down. Just like putting a little force on it.

The engine is having problems too, I'm going to try to diagnose it too. How would I know (/could tell) if my intake manifold is leaking? It vibrates really bad in the lower rpms and only pulls hard at above 4.5 rpm, it feels like one cylinder isn't working almost... I've tried pulling the wires off one injector at a time while idling to see if one made a different noise then the others. They all made the same noise and change in idle, so i assumed they were all firing at the same rate and where fine. (plus i had the 24lb's in my npi heads and they worked fine). I checked the MAF, sensors all pluged in and all vacuum lines as well.

just seems like everything is going... help

EDIT: forgot to mention, PATS light is flashing to for some reason...

Last edited by stangalator; 04-15-2009 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:43 PM
Pohatu18
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by stangalator View Post
One of the connections for the coil is bent a little in the upward position, like someone hit it on mistake. When i had one of the spark plug wires off the spark jumped from inside the coil to the connection, how can i tell if one of the coils is bad?
Does the car have some low end power or does it act sluggish, I had 2 spark plug wires that weren't working right it sparked but they didnt fire in the cylinder, I also had one vacuume line disconnected directly behind the upper plenum.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:46 PM
stangalator
4th Gear Member

just checked the coils, the primary resistance was fine at .9ohms (haynes said between .6-1.0) but the secondary resistance was at 13.25K ohms and haynes said that should be between 8.7k and 11.5K ohms... both coils in both spots were the same at 13.25, I regaped the sparks to .054 and it didn't make a difference. I also tried removing all the spark plug wires and took the fuel fuse out and it started funny, here is a video of what happened...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GADc-Kl_tZY

First part is without fuel/spark and after i reconnected fuel/spark
the first time i think it turns over funny, almost uneven...
the second as the rpms go downard the engine shakes alot
Old 04-16-2009, 10:38 AM
stangalator
4th Gear Member

how would one know if the timing chain skipped a tooth on one side of the cam? would it vibrate at idle and have bad low end power but good top end? anyone know the symptoms and how to check it, like at TDC where should the cams be(the tooth or notch location)?
Old 04-16-2009, 06:20 PM
stangalator
4th Gear Member

anyone know...?

plus I'm making a air compressor apparatus that will fit over the throttle body and push compressed regulated air into the throttle body on a stopped engine. Hopefully this intake leak down test will help me determine if there is a intake gasket leak. I was planing on putting about 20-30 psi threw it, not that many people run that much boost, but i know normal suction in the engine is around -22psi or so. I figured if it can handle suction at that negative pressure it should be able to handle positive pressure.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:12 PM
stangalator
4th Gear Member

half the mystery is solved... I'm an idiot! When i installed the cams i installed the passenger side cam 180 degrees off, so no PTV issues but that explains the rough running!

OOPS
Old 04-18-2009, 01:43 AM
Pohatu18
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by stangalator View Post
half the mystery is solved... I'm an idiot! When i installed the cams i installed the passenger side cam 180 degrees off, so no PTV issues but that explains the rough running!

OOPS
very lucky.... any major trouble codes? I had a running lean code from a cracked fuel injector and like i told you before 2 bad spark plug wires