4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Brake question

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 11:30 AM
jchittick
3rd Gear Member

Default Brake question

First off, when i got this car about 8,000 miles ago, I had the dealership (Toyota) replace the front brakes because after the test drive, they definitely needed it. I didn't think about it, but I should have just done it myself. Anyway, I've noticed that my driver's side front wheel has a lot more brake dust on it after a week or two than my other front wheel. Anyone else's do this? Also, how long do most of you go between changing brake pads/rotors?
Old 06-20-2005, 12:38 PM
jchittick
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Brake question

Anyone?
Old 06-20-2005, 02:13 PM
DIVER8374
4th Gear Member

I am getting ready to change mine, and as far as I know it is the first time for the change. I have 38k on my car, and the pads are down to 10% on the front.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:23 PM
jchittick
3rd Gear Member

Does your driver side front rim have more brake dust than your passenger side front rim?
Old 06-20-2005, 02:41 PM
Deannostang
3rd Gear Member

Could be your left front brake just seated itself quicker than the right side but both should be seated by 8,000 miles. You may have a warped rotor on the right that doesn't make as much total contact with your pads as does the left side. I'd take it back to the dealer for them to have a look see as to what might be causing the problem. The dealer may have agreed to put new brakes on the front of your car but many are notoriously cheap when it is on their ticket. They may very well have only put on new pads when you really needed new rotors also.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:29 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: jchittick

First off, when i got this car about 8,000 miles ago, I had the dealership (Toyota) replace the front brakes because after the test drive, they definitely needed it. I didn't think about it, but I should have just done it myself. Anyway, I've noticed that my driver's side front wheel has a lot more brake dust on it after a week or two than my other front wheel. Anyone else's do this? Also, how long do most of you go between changing brake pads/rotors?
Does the car pull to one side when you brake or do you feel a 'wobble' on the steering wheel when you do? Pulling is characteristic of one caliper grabbing harder vs the other side not grabbing as hard or not at all (thus more dust on one side vs other). A wobble is characteristic of a warped rotor but will not generally cause one side to wear faster than the other. (no dust difference present)

As for 'how often' depends on driving habits, city vs street miles, and quality of what you buy. If you ride the brake or have an automatic, I would say way more than someone that does not ride the brakes or has a manual tranny.

Some people can only go 30-50K I can go 50-70K (V6 manual tranny with most miles being highway)