4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:17 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

What should my fuel pressure be?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 07:00 PM
mv577

Default What should my fuel pressure be?

Hello all...

Sorry if this is a dumb question and yes I did try the search function...

ok with that out of the way here's my question:

What should my fuel pressure be in a stock 01' GT?

I recently got my Dynotune gauges hooked up and I'll admit I thought I would see a constant pressure.

Right now it is at about 30psi at idle and when not under load... it goes up to 41 - 43 under WOT but even that drops as the load drops...

Does this sound right?

Thank you in advance!

Mike
Old 04-16-2009, 08:02 PM
bigjohn2289

yeah, thats right, fuel injection is supposed to run about 40 psi.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:09 PM
mv577

Originally Posted by bigjohn2289
yeah, thats right, fuel injection is supposed to run about 40 psi.
But is such a variation normal?

Thanks again!

Mike
Old 04-16-2009, 08:45 PM
bigjohn2289

I am not an expert on this by any means, so I decided to look at an old data log I recorded about 3 weeks ago for you. I have an 02 GT with a completely stock fuel system, and it held pretty consistantly between 38-39 psi at idle and stayed pretty steady even at WOT, it spiked to 42 psi during acceleration but came back down. Once I let off the throttle, it would start to fluctuate between 35 and 43 psi, but after the car had a second to kind of settle out, it was right back in that range. Mine never dropped that low, and I tore it down a little bit on that log.

Does it idle rough? or is there a reason why you are worried about it? factory regulators aren't THAT great, but if its not broke, dont fix it haha, you know what I mean?

John
Old 04-16-2009, 09:35 PM
vanquish
4th Gear Member

my 00 is around 40 psi at WOT.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:24 PM
mustangman281
Banned

Stock fuel pressure is 30psi at idle with vacuum and 40 w/o vacuum. WOT the fuel pressure should jump to around 43psi then drop down to 40psi.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:26 AM
mv577

John: No it doesn't idle rough and it runs great... I'm in the middle of a Nitrous install so I want to make sure my FP is right. I did buy the SVT Focus pump and will be installing it however I assume the regulator is not part of that pump.

Mustangman: That's exactly what my car is reading, 30 at idle, 43 at WOT which settles in around 40 until I let off... So I guess I'm all set! Thank you!

Mike
Old 04-17-2009, 08:32 AM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

Our cars have a returnless variable fuel pressure system. What you are seeing on your aftermarket gage is perfectly normal.

There is a difference between the fuel pressure that the aftermarket gage reads and adjusted fuel pressure that the car's computer records. I spent a couple of hundred dollars having my fuel system checked before I learned the difference. The computer keeps the adjusted fuel pressure near 40 psi. If you want to see the adjusted fuel pressure on your aftermarket gage turn on the key but don't start the motor. At zero vacuum and zero boost the after market gage will read the same as the computer.

Our motors need less "real" fuel pressure when they have vacuum and more when they are under boost. To calculate the non-adjusted fuel pressure numbers subtract vacuum (in inches) divided by two from 40 or add boost (in psi) to 40. At idle our cars have about 18 inches of vacuum so we would see approximately 31 psi on an aftermarket gage (40-18/2). Mine reads 30. At wide open throttle vacuum drops to near zero so you would see the aftermarket gage swing up to approximately 40 psi. With 8 lbs of boost you would see the after market gage swing up to around 48 psi (40+8). The entire time that your after market gage is swinging up and down the computer is recording a near constant 40 psi.

Engine air inlet tempature also affects the readings on your aftermarket fuel pressure gage. The computer uses air inlet tempature to estimate fuel tempature. On very hot days the computer will increase the fuel pressure to prevent a vapor lock in the fuel rails. Superchargers heat the inlet air and aggrevate this situation. On hot days in congested traffic my aftermarket fuel pressure gage read 53-55 psi at idle. That is why I had the system checked. The mechanic's datalog at the time showed a fairly constant 43 psi.

There is nothing wrong with your gage. It just measures fuel pressure differently than the computer.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:31 AM
mv577

Originally Posted by Eagle2000GT
Our cars have a returnless variable fuel pressure system. What you are seeing on your aftermarket gage is perfectly normal.

There is a difference between the fuel pressure that the aftermarket gage reads and adjusted fuel pressure that the car's computer records. I spent a couple of hundred dollars having my fuel system checked before I learned the difference. The computer keeps the adjusted fuel pressure near 40 psi. If you want to see the adjusted fuel pressure on your aftermarket gage turn on the key but don't start the motor. At zero vacuum and zero boost the after market gage will read the same as the computer.

Our motors need less "real" fuel pressure when they have vacuum and more when they are under boost. To calculate the non-adjusted fuel pressure numbers subtract vacuum (in inches) divided by two from 40 or add boost (in psi) to 40. At idle our cars have about 18 inches of vacuum so we would see approximately 31 psi on an aftermarket gage (40-18/2). Mine reads 30. At wide open throttle vacuum drops to near zero so you would see the aftermarket gage swing up to approximately 40 psi. With 8 lbs of boost you would see the after market gage swing up to around 48 psi (40+8). The entire time that your after market gage is swinging up and down the computer is recording a near constant 40 psi.

Engine air inlet tempature also affects the readings on your aftermarket fuel pressure gage. The computer uses air inlet tempature to estimate fuel tempature. On very hot days the computer will increase the fuel pressure to prevent a vapor lock in the fuel rails. Superchargers heat the inlet air and aggrevate this situation. On hot days in congested traffic my aftermarket fuel pressure gage read 53-55 psi at idle. That is why I had the system checked. The mechanic's datalog at the time showed a fairly constant 43 psi.

There is nothing wrong with your gage. It just measures fuel pressure differently than the computer.
Great post! Thank you!!!
Old 04-17-2009, 03:18 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by Eagle2000GT

+1, the PCM does its best to keep the pressure drop across the injectors at a constant (more or less) 39 psi...

Quick Reply: What should my fuel pressure be?