4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

tuner questions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 12:42 AM
mrxr250rider
3rd Gear Member

Default tuner questions.

im thinking about buying a tuner in the future. maybe a used one to save cash.
probably going with a sct tune.
how do i get a custom tune downloaded onto my tuner? how much does it cost?
i can tune it later for gear changes right?
is a 93 tune worth it? or should i go with a 89/91 tune thats what i currently run in it.
its my daily driver and put up to 60 miles a day on it.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:56 PM
mrxr250rider
3rd Gear Member

anyone?
Old 04-26-2009, 06:46 PM
Spit366

Good think youre planning on buying a tuner, although you should take a look into Sniper Special Forces Tuning, the real advantage with it, is that you can tune the car yourself, otherwise with a handheld tuner like the SCT you have to get any real bennefit you have to take it to a shop with a dyno and have them tune it, cause the canned tunes just aint worth it, the thing is, its gonna cost you everytime you tune it and also youre gonna have to go to the same shop you tuned you car.

So you cand o the same thing with either the sniper or the handheld tuner, the only difference is that with sniper you can tune the car yourself, basically pays for itself if you ask me.

Any tuner will let you adjust the gears and such, as far as the 93octane tune i dont know, many guys here go for it, but i yself dont evenhave a tuner so i cant reccomend it.

Good Luck
Old 04-26-2009, 07:10 PM
grogan
3rd Gear Member

running 93 octane tune lets u run more timing, meaning more hp. i look at it like this...for 93 octane the overall cost is maybe 3 dollars more by the time u fill the car up.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:21 PM
Deputy2B4Life

I dont know much about those.. My buddy had a 94 z28 and he put some kinda power programmer on it.. It thats the same thing, then its worth the money.. I went out with him one evening and he was showing me some of the things that programmer would do.. It was an automatic car, and the programmer let him change shift points, cooling tempatures, fuel, timing, speedo, and some other things I think.. He had like $300 in that set up.. I dont think Id get one for my car, but it was cool anyhow..
Old 04-27-2009, 05:19 PM
mrxr250rider
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Spit366
Good think youre planning on buying a tuner, although you should take a look into Sniper Special Forces Tuning, the real advantage with it, is that you can tune the car yourself, otherwise with a handheld tuner like the SCT you have to get any real bennefit you have to take it to a shop with a dyno and have them tune it, cause the canned tunes just aint worth it, the thing is, its gonna cost you everytime you tune it and also youre gonna have to go to the same shop you tuned you car.

So you cand o the same thing with either the sniper or the handheld tuner, the only difference is that with sniper you can tune the car yourself, basically pays for itself if you ask me.

Any tuner will let you adjust the gears and such, as far as the 93octane tune i dont know, many guys here go for it, but i yself dont evenhave a tuner so i cant reccomend it.

Good Luck

well you can get a custom tune from sct which you tell your mod list and you have a custom tune or are those no good either?
if the sniper tuner is much better ill probably go with that.

a dyno tune you need a tuner and it cost to dyno tune it as well correct?
Old 04-27-2009, 07:33 PM
Red2002GT
1st Gear Member

I would trust SCT.
They go to enough shows, have probably dynoed thousands of cars, probably have seen any combination you can think of.
They may not have the UBER 100% best tuned for your car but I bet it will be dang close for bolt on cars.
And if you buy the tuner from sponser American Muscle its free tunes for life.
Email them the info on your new mods and they email you a new tune.
Sure if you have custom pistons, valves, a blown car etc you'll need a shop tune.
But for bread and butter bolt ons and all the common stuff SCT would be fine.