4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Break lights, flashers and turn signals not working. Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 03:55 PM
MustangGTGirl

Exclamation Break lights, flashers and turn signals not working. Any ideas?

So as I'm sure you've gathered from the title; my break lights, flashers and signals aren't working. Reverse lights and running lights still work though. They stopped working right after I heard a weird grinding sound from inside the steering column. I went to Ford after I noticed all the lights were out, and the guy there said it could be the multifunction switch; but of course they won't give you an official answer unless you pay up. A friend of mine also looked at it and says that it could be the multifunction switch but the wipers still work.

Please help before I get rear-ended.

Thank you
Old 05-02-2009, 05:43 PM
Bluebeast77

Try checking for a blown fuse. If that checks out, try testing the leads for the turn signal or tail lights with a multimeter. You should detect a voltage signal with the lights in the on position. More than likely there is a fault somewhere. Maybe a bad ground, frayed wires or blown fuse.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:23 PM
mustangman03
3rd Gear Member

It could be the multifunction switch even if the wipers are working fine but like said above I would check the fuses first a fuse is a lot cheaper than a multifunction switch
Old 05-03-2009, 01:30 PM
MustangGTGirl

I've checked all of the fuses and all of them are fine. I'll try checking the leads but has anyone had this problem before? Or had their multifunction switch replaced? How much does it cost about for the part and for installation?

Thanks!
Old 05-03-2009, 09:25 PM
chilledboost

i had the same problem, mine turned out to be the Light Control Module/General Electric Module it was like 525$
Old 05-12-2009, 09:19 PM
gec
2nd Gear Member

The post is a week old but I been on vaca and you never let us know how u made out, so had the same problem with that nasty noise when I replaced the the exterior lights with LED's. I bought a flash relay and wired in some 3 ohm resisters and works flawlessly now. If you didn't upgrade the lights then the cheapest thing to do is replace the turn signal bulbs and see if you are good. The sound only came on when I changed the turn signals and make sure when you replace them you get dual circuit's.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:41 PM
MustangGTGirl

Well I did change the headlights but that was after the whole thing happened. And what do you mean when you say "The sound only came on when I changed the turn signals and make sure when you replace them you get dual circuit's."

Thanks
Old 05-14-2009, 08:44 PM
gec
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangGTGirl
Well I did change the headlights but that was after the whole thing happened. And what do you mean when you say "The sound only came on when I changed the turn signals and make sure when you replace them you get dual circuit's."

Thanks
Hey -- figured you had resolved it. What I meant by that is your signal bulbs (3157) serve two purposes. 1. As a side marker when your headlights are turned on & 2. As a turn signal bulb. They sell the 3157 bulb as a single circuit meaning will work as a turn signal, but not as a side marker or vice versa and a dual circuit is for both. With Dual circuits the side marker will light when you turn the headlights on and move into a blinking mode when activating your turn signals.

The sound can happen if a bulb is out or not functioning correctly or in my case because I didn't have the resistors on the bulbs and the LED's were looking for too much power. The sound is nasty and aggravating so I feel for ya, but there should be an easy resolution without paying out to the stealership. So, prior to changing anything you were getting the sound correct? Was a headlight out that made you change them?
Old 05-15-2009, 08:35 AM
Sniper6677
2nd Gear Member

its just too funny to read about people going to a stealership now that i work for one haha
Old 05-18-2009, 02:43 PM
MustangGTGirl

Originally Posted by gec
Hey -- figured you had resolved it. What I meant by that is your signal bulbs (3157) serve two purposes. 1. As a side marker when your headlights are turned on & 2. As a turn signal bulb. They sell the 3157 bulb as a single circuit meaning will work as a turn signal, but not as a side marker or vice versa and a dual circuit is for both. With Dual circuits the side marker will light when you turn the headlights on and move into a blinking mode when activating your turn signals.

The sound can happen if a bulb is out or not functioning correctly or in my case because I didn't have the resistors on the bulbs and the LED's were looking for too much power. The sound is nasty and aggravating so I feel for ya, but there should be an easy resolution without paying out to the stealership. So, prior to changing anything you were getting the sound correct? Was a headlight out that made you change them?
I changed them because they were still the orginal headlights so the lenses were all F*ed up and cause smoked headlights are badass. But come to think of it, one of my tail lights is out, too. You think that might have caused everything to blow out? And by the way, when I try to put the flashers on, the arrows in the guage cluster don't light up either.
This is the link to the headlights that I put in, if that helps at all:
http://www.blueovalindustries.com/products.php?pid=741

Quick Reply: Break lights, flashers and turn signals not working. Any ideas?