4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

PI Swap idle issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 05:22 PM
jeff37110
2nd Gear Member

I would get a tune, that should fix it. It doesnt really sound like a mechanical problem if it runs good except for idle.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:31 PM
mustangman281
Banned

1. buy a vacuum gauge from auto zone and connect it to a vacuum line. That is the only true way to check for a vacuum leak.

2. Check the IAC

3. Check the cam timing
Old 05-09-2009, 06:10 PM
Bodom247

Im actually in the process of getting a tuner for my car which Im hoping does fix the issue. Cam timing should be right as I had about six different manuals I went from to do it and I spent the most time on that. I cleaned my IAC and EGR as well as I could but I did not test my IAC with a volt meter, I will do that tomorrow as well as get a vacuum gauge to test for leaks. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:59 PM
Lowtryx
2nd Gear Member

You don't need a tune, and the stock tuning on a PI Swap is very conservative.

I performed the PI Swap on my 96 GT And she cranked up with the first turn of the key. No tune. Stock 96 Timing. She's been running tip-top since the swap.
It's not your tune or timing, provided you took into account the timing marks while doing the swap. Are you sure of the timing? I'd look into the fuel system for sure.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:12 PM
jeff37110
2nd Gear Member

No problem, thats why we are all on here to help fellow mustang drivers out. We all need help sometime...Not one person can always be right, its better to get several opinions.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:56 AM
mustangman281
Banned

One easy thing to do is to put one cam in upside down if you installed the driverside chain then turned the motor over to check clearance. Trust me I know (don't drink and install cams). You have the same symptoms I did when I did it. Easy check for it is to unplug the cam position sensor and start the car. If it starts and idles then your passenger side cam is upside down.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:04 AM
mia96gts
1st Gear Member

Well In had a similar problem with my 96GT and my car would turn off too and the fan wouldnt turn on either. I am not saying this might be the problem but, just to check it. There is a sensor which right now i forgot the name of it. It controls the fan+ fuel and A/C I believe. Its a big sensor located on the right side of the fan if your sitting inside the car. It screws into one of the metal pipes. The sensor will mess up your idle as well as the fan motor. I was also going crazy when it happened on my car. Just check that and see if it is.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:42 PM
Bodom247

Here is the main guide that I used for the timing: www.modulardepot.com/picamsnew.pdf

Everything is the EXACT same as is pictured in the diagrams passenger side sitting at about 10:30 and driver side at about 12:30 to 1 and of course the bottom of the chain at exactly 6 straight down. I also counted the number of links in each side as compared to the diagram when the chain is on the notch and when it first starts to leave the camshaft gear and everything lined up exactly and perfectly. I would imagine if the timing was off the car wouldn't start every time with no problem or I would not have been able to drive it around the block. Which is why Im wondering if I need a tune cause this is not the only thing Ive done to the car... I also have a Jet Performance chip, BBK cold air intake, BBK offroad X-Pipe, SLP Loudmouth originals and the custom lower intake manifold. I did contact a very very reputable performance and automotive shop in my area called Slaters Mustangs and they told me as well that the car will need to be tuned. Not sure how to check the fuel pressure myself though as Ive never done that, I will also try and locate the sensor to the right side of the fan as well as unplug the cam position sensor and start the car
Old 05-10-2009, 05:53 PM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

g/l with figuring evrything out, but yea for the fan, check the sensor on the drivers side of the coolant crosover on the intake manifold.
http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/o...Untitled-3.jpg

here u can see where the sensor is missing on the PI intake. g/l
Old 05-10-2009, 07:21 PM
stangalator
4th Gear Member

do a compression test or a leak down test. You can rent them at autozone/advance auto for "free". Its good to know that you are sealing well, becuase there are three things that mkes an engine run well. Compression, spark, air/fuel.

Quick Reply: PI Swap idle issues