4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Shorty header install

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 04:39 PM
Armydad
3rd Gear Member

Default Shorty header install

Hey all,

I've done a search on this and got several diff ways to do this, however I am looking for the easiest. One guy said removing the K member was the best, another said lifting the motor. In your opinions or through experience, what is the easiest way to install FRPP shorties?

Thanks
Old 05-18-2009, 05:15 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

I believe you can install shorties without dropping the k-member or lifting the motor. But why go shorties? You can do mac or bbk longtubes for like $100 more then shorties.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:12 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustang3GT07
I believe you can install shorties without dropping the k-member or lifting the motor. But why go shorties? You can do mac or bbk longtubes for like $100 more then shorties.
Why not?
They still gotta be better then stock exhaust and free things up a bit and I know I don't want or need to worry about the extra ground clearance issues.
For the extra few HPs long tubes give out, it isn't worth it for me.
So when that time comes for me I'll go with the FRPP shorties.

Lynn
Old 05-18-2009, 08:59 PM
Tim37
4th Gear Member

i went with the bbk shorties because i didn't want to pull the headers every time i had to do a clutch.
its no often you do a clutch but when it takes the best part of a day to put on the headers i dont' want to deal with that and a clutch

btw i think the best way to put them on is pay someone i did mine and it was a total pita it took me 11 hours of work to get them on. and thats having just about every tool i could posibly need except a lift.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:13 PM
bildo_dixie

if your going to do it yourself do yourself a favor and drop the k-member i did mine a few months ago i spent one day trying to do it by just lifting the motor i got no where. the next day i pulled the k-member and had it in about 6 hours. plus if you happen to break a bolt you will want the k-member out of the way so you can get it out. trust me do yourself a favor and pull the k-member its not a hard as it sounds trust me. good luck
Old 05-18-2009, 10:24 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LynnBob Mustang
Why not?
They still gotta be better then stock exhaust and free things up a bit and I know I don't want or need to worry about the extra ground clearance issues.
For the extra few HPs long tubes give out, it isn't worth it for me.
So when that time comes for me I'll go with the FRPP shorties.

Lynn

Sure, but on the flipside... long tubes sound way better imo, and if you throw some big power at your car down the road, it will pick up way more power than shorties.

I gained 33 rwhp & 73 rwtq on nitrous with the addition of long tubes. Try that with shorties!!!
Old 05-18-2009, 10:48 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

dont do it, its a waist of money.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:55 AM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrtstang
Sure, but on the flipside... long tubes sound way better imo,
Oh, no doubt that they do. But... and a big but....
Even as a teenager my '71 Mustang with a 460 ci with long tubes and glass packs got old really quick. My '73 Mercury Montego with a 351w long tubes and thrush mufflers got annoying after awhile.
I'm too old for this noise crap now. I also have got a 6 and 4 year old that ride in the car that don't need to loose their hearing this early in life either because they ride in the car a lot.

Lynn
Old 05-19-2009, 07:01 AM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sxynerd
dont do it, its a waist of money.
No, it is not.
I hate when people put put down a blanket statement like that without even thinking of peoples reasons for doing such, it just depends on what your needs are.

I don't want or need LT's, so shorties will work for me on a bunch of levels that out weight LT's benefits by a long shot.

Shorties still free things up, gives a little more HP then stock, and suits my needs better then the LT's.

Lynn
Old 05-19-2009, 09:23 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Shorties aren't worth the cost, it's that simple. Even working together with the rest of your mods it still has a max gain of 5-10hp. I've made plenty of power with stock manifold. 265rw when I was NA with a stock long block, 440 when I was at 10lbs with the stock LB, 488 with cams. And now that I'm out of mods, LT's were the best choice.

As far as weight... You're not a pro racer, you wont tell the difference and the added Hp would more than make up for the extra little weight.

Quick Reply: Shorty header install