4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

SO I figured out the chirping - now help me fix it!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 07:15 PM
PaintballFreak
4th Gear Member

Default SO I figured out the chirping - now help me fix it!

This is my third thread about this problem so if you remember what's been going on then sorry for the recap. For those that don't know what the problem was, I have been getting a weird "chirping" noise in my engine bay for a couple months now. It responds to throttle only and doesn't matter what the clutch is doing. It's gotten worse and worse (louder and faster) over the last couple weeks especially. I had a mustang performance shop try to figure it out while I was getting some other work done and they couldn't. I've taken the belt off to run the motor and it still made the noise. There is a video about half way down this link that sounds exactly like the noise I'm getting.

http://allfordmustangs.com/forums/4-...-gone-bad.html

SO.. today I took apart the upper part of the intake system, changed/cleaned gaskets and put clamps on all the lines. I also swapped the places of two COPs. After starting it up, it was still making the noise but much slower and louder (like releasing a lot more pressure just less often) I messed with the COP that it seemed to be coming from. If I wiggled the plug as much as it would let me, the noise stopped. I've actually been able to get the noise to ALMOST go away completely after messing with it. It's still there, just very faint.

So what do I need to do? If there is air coming out of the spark plug hole, what does that mean exactly? Do I need to replace the plug to be safe? Should I replace all if I replace one?
Old 05-22-2009, 09:03 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

It means you have a loose spark plug--do not drive the car another inch until you pull that plug. Hopefully you will have some threads left in the head an be able to reinstall the plug and properly torque it (11 to 13 lb/ft).

Last edited by cliffyk; 05-23-2009 at 05:59 AM.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:11 PM
kodiak
1st Gear Member

Exclamation I think I have the same chirp noise

I have only had my 99 gt for about three weeks and I have been hearing a strange chirping noise from my car too. I was thinking it was the serp belt off the kenne bell or a pulley but but it sound slike a little bird mostly when letting off gas at slow speeds or maybe I just cant hear with the supercharger whine or magnaflow kickin. How hard is it to remove coil packs to check. I peeked under the hood and it looks fuel rails need to come off. I hope not. Any info about plug removal would be great
Old 05-23-2009, 01:52 AM
black35th
4th Gear Member

Fuel rails don't have to come off, loosen the COP and wiggle it out.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:34 AM
kodiak
1st Gear Member

Default chirping

Should I remove plugs or just stick a socket in there and retorque?
Old 05-23-2009, 10:33 AM
CAMDUP
3rd Gear Member

i would atleast remove that one , and take a good look at the threads on the plug and the head......if they all seem ok then reinstall it to correct torque specs and see what happens
Old 05-23-2009, 10:35 AM
cbbass123
1st Gear Member

remove plug check check if fouled...re-gap and reinstall to torque specs 13lbs
Old 05-23-2009, 11:48 AM
kodiak
1st Gear Member

Default What cylinder is the most common for this to happen on?

Not sure which cyl. to check or just do them all???
Old 05-23-2009, 12:17 PM
CAMDUP
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kodiak
Not sure which cyl. to check or just do them all???
absolutely !!... and since your gonna be pullin every one , u might should consider just replacing all of em

Last edited by CAMDUP; 05-23-2009 at 12:26 PM.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:18 PM
PaintballFreak
4th Gear Member

I have a lot of junk built up in the socket and no air compressor. How should I clean it out before I remove the plug? I dont want any of that crap to fall in my head. I have 0 power loss so I doubt anything has gone really wrong yet. I guess I'll go to the store and pick up a new plug and some anti-seize

Quick Reply: SO I figured out the chirping - now help me fix it!