4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Rear Suspension Installation/Setting Pinion Angle

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 11:02 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Smile Rear Suspension Installation/Setting Pinion Angle

Well after many threads about my options out back i have begun with ordering the LCAs and UCAs and a locator bar.

The Upper setup is from baseline suspension http://www.baselinesuspensions.com/kits/prolaunch1.htm

Also the locator bar
http://www.baselinesuspensions.com/k...acklocator.htm

The lowers i decided to get from UPR
http://www.uprproducts.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=2109

I should get everything next week sometime, and im going to install it myself.
I have read a good bit about the pinion angle and setting it, and i will be doing this oon jackstands and ramps since i dont have access to a lift. I also do not have air tools, just hand tools. Is there any tips or advice or things to look for while im under there? How about order of removal/installion of components? Should i do one side at a time with the lowers, then do the upper setup, then adjust?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help so far guys, i will keep you posted with the results too!
Old 05-27-2009, 11:33 AM
marcuslee842
3rd Gear Member

Good thread, i'm going to be doing the same thing too. I tried to find the correct setting for pinion angle but it looked like u need some type of specialized tool to dial it in. UPR sent me the poly/poly lca's at first, so when the adjustable spherical arms came I just adjusted them to the none adjustable length. I don't know what to do about the uppers excepet adjust them to the stock uca length. i will gladly take any advice u have.

p.s. Did u install the STB yet?
Old 05-27-2009, 11:39 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Smile

Originally Posted by marcuslee842
Good thread, i'm going to be doing the same thing too. I tried to find the correct setting for pinion angle but it looked like u need some type of specialized tool to dial it in. UPR sent me the poly/poly lca's at first, so when the adjustable spherical arms came I just adjusted them to the none adjustable length. I don't know what to do about the uppers excepet adjust them to the stock uca length. i will gladly take any advice u have.

p.s. Did u install the STB yet?
Yes all you need is a magnetic angle finder, im going to pick one up this weekend at home depot. They are like 10 bux or less. The value of pinion angle depends on the type of control arm setup you have as well as the type of bushings being used. The harder the bushings the smaller the angle needed. Im going to set mine for about -1.5 degrees.

No i have not installed a Strut Tower Brace yet if thats what you are referring to. I have not even ordered one actually, but i am definitely looking at some. I am hoping some else who has done this will post up some tips on the install, if not i will post my own after i install it.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:41 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Didnt I say in your last barage of threads on this to not get the adjustables and come on here and ask how to adjust them

Set them to stock length, and fiddle with them if you think you need to.

The correct pinion angle is basically -2*... The only "special" tool needed it an angle gauge with a magnet so you can attach it to the diff housing. What you are doing is setting the rear so when you accelerate hard, it will equal out to about 0*. Also, you need to set the angle with the whole weight of the vehicle on the suspension (like it would be sitting on the ground.) NOT hanging up on jackstands... An alignment rack is the best way to do it.

And doin an LCA/UCA install without air tools is going to be fun. The bolts can be pretty stubborn. You will need a good 18mm wrench and socket (plus some sockets/swivels/extensions) to get the front lower control arm bolts out. You might also have to pop the mufflers out of the hangers and move them. ( Thats how I always got easier access to the bolts)
Old 05-27-2009, 11:48 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Cool

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
Didnt I say in your last barage of threads on this to not get the adjustables and come on here and ask how to adjust them

Set them to stock length, and fiddle with them if you think you need to.

The correct pinion angle is basically -2*... The only "special" tool needed it an angle gauge with a magnet so you can attach it to the diff housing. What you are doing is setting the rear so when you accelerate hard, it will equal out to about 0*. Also, you need to set the angle with the whole weight of the vehicle on the suspension (like it would be sitting on the ground.) NOT hanging up on jackstands... An alignment rack is the best way to do it.

And doin an LCA/UCA install without air tools is going to be fun. The bolts can be pretty stubborn. You will need a good 18mm wrench and socket (plus some sockets/swivels/extensions) to get the front lower control arm bolts out. You might also have to pop the mufflers out of the hangers and move them. ( Thats how I always got easier access to the bolts)
I knew you would chime in about this if i made it into more of a question, because i remembered what you said in my other threads about not coming back and asking lol. I know how to do it now, and im putting the jackstands on the rear axle with the front up on ramps. That way the suspension is evenly loaded. And from what Kevin from baseline has said, im gonna be safe with -1.5*, i have found a great deal of good info after searching this past week or so. Thnx for the tip about the wrench though, i will be sure i have an 18mm set up on hand ahead of time!
Old 05-27-2009, 11:50 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

****s easy
Old 05-27-2009, 11:55 AM
marcuslee842
3rd Gear Member

$10 at Home Depot, sweet. I'll grab one and try to set my pinion.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:59 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by dimebag
****s easy

Then why did you call me and have me help you install yours? huh tough guy?
Old 05-27-2009, 01:01 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

hahaha what setup did you end up with dime bag?
Old 05-27-2009, 05:45 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

Still have the junk I had, just fixed it... Ill be going with baselune uppers and lowers tho

Quick Reply: Rear Suspension Installation/Setting Pinion Angle