4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

seat skin

Old 05-27-2009, 04:16 PM
jtfrog
2nd Gear Member

Default seat skin

What is the procedure for removing seat skins? Driver seat starting to sag and I want to add foam to build it back up.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:04 PM
J_Rod
2nd Gear Member

are your seats cloth or leather?

leather seats are easy, take the seat out of the car obviously and then disassemble the seat itself by pulling the tracks off. Then get a pair of pliers once you have the lower portion of the seat pulled away from the seat back and spread the rings apart (cant be reused) and peel the cover off of the foam slowly. To reinstall the cover you need a special tool to put no hooks back into place.

cloth seats follow the same procedure, however, the cloth is glued to the foam and it will fight you every step of the way.

be careful not to rip the covers.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:19 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

May's issue of Mustang Monthly has a how to article on redoing the seats. I would suggest getting that issue or see if it is on line.
Here is the article....
http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/...ery/index.html

There is NO hog rigs or listing wires on these new seats like the old school seats had, the only thing holding the bottoms on is some large long plastic clip things and it is glued to the foam.
The material is glued on to the foam and has to be removed carefully, the how to article goes in depth on this.

I'm looking into this as well as I want to redo my seats in leather.
Lynn

Last edited by LynnBob Mustang; 05-27-2009 at 08:23 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:32 PM
jtfrog
2nd Gear Member

Thanks guys, there leather and I'm just going to turn one of my many pliers into hog ring pliers
Old 05-27-2009, 08:34 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jtfrog
Thanks guys, there leather and I'm just going to turn one of my many pliers into hog ring pliers
If you read the article I just posted, you don't need Hog ring pliers as there are no hog rings on these seats according to the article.

Lynn
Old 05-27-2009, 08:38 PM
J_Rod
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by LynnBob Mustang
If you read the article I just posted, you don't need Hog ring pliers as there are no hog rings on these seats according to the article.

Lynn
sorry if I gave misinformation, on my 96 GT it had hog rings on it, just went by experience.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:42 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by J_Rod
sorry if I gave misinformation, on my 96 GT it had hog rings on it, just went by experience.
It looks this article was done with '98 seats, so that could be why yours had hog rings. It may have been just old enough before a design change.
Lynn
Old 05-27-2009, 08:46 PM
jtfrog
2nd Gear Member

Just red the article, got ahead of myself, thanks
Old 05-27-2009, 08:54 PM
mustangman03
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jtfrog
dont do that big mistake use a pair of dikes to cut the old hog rings then go out and buy some hog ring pliers trust me i have done a good many of seat covers and i said the same thing but the hog ring pliers make it much much much much much much easier it will save you the number of choice words, pinched fingers, and a few less cuts
Old 05-27-2009, 08:56 PM
J_Rod
2nd Gear Member

you know in that article he is using an air ratchet to get the seats out. i used one and it wouldnt budge the bolt, I ended up getting out the 1/2 inch impact.

While you have the seats out, you might as well pull the carpet out and clean under it because you will find coins and be able to get the interior looking like brand new again.

i am about due for new foam in my seats as well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: seat skin