MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   Has anyone modified hoodscoop on Mustang GT? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/542270-has-anyone-modified-hoodscoop-on-mustang-gt.html)

foru2nv4 06-04-2009 12:00 AM

Has anyone modified hoodscoop on Mustang GT?

What I mean by modify is on the hoodscoop that sticks up on the mustang GT. What I would like to do is cut a square out under it and drill holes through out the honeycomb looking plastic piece on the top side? Has anyone done this and if so did that help keep the engine cooler. It was just an idea I had today and it would probably take me all of 30 minutes to do this if I see results of a cooler running engine which means colder air and more HP.

zero2005 06-04-2009 12:50 AM

i know its done before. i would never do it, well with the exception of some supercharger kits require it (tork tech, and the race kit from kenne bell), as i like to keep my engine bay as clean as possible and not build grim up on top of it. and im sure this would only exacerbate it.

as for cooling efficiency, it'll only be minor.

foru2nv4 06-04-2009 12:54 AM

Well not to woorried about it building up grimm on it I live in a very dry climate so dust would only be a problem which I could wipe of everyime I wash and wax car. I am thinking with my mods on the car and how hot it gets under that hood because I have had some wire plastic insulators melt against that 4.6 litre engine that it would help to keep me from replacing those looms and keep engine cooler. Anyother opinions on this matter?

StriderTacticaL 06-04-2009 02:30 AM

Stuff like this have been asked about many times but I did remember asking if it would be possible to fabricate some kind of ducting that goes along the underside of the hood and routes to the air filter.

Some guy replied saying he bought a one off kit from some guy on ebay and he sent me some pics and it looked pretty well done. He sent them by email and I just checked them but for some reason the pics aren't showing anymore.

It was basically designed like the GT500KR hood except on a 99-04 hood with the factory scoop...if you can imagine that.

If you want your engine cooler then I think you'd better off doing some cooling mods and get a CAI and/or get a heat extractor hood

devongarver 06-04-2009 07:15 AM

this same topic has been up a few times, and last time i remmeber a gentleman posted a pic of the hoodscoop after it had been torn off by wind resistance at high speed. The general consensus i have noticed is that its easy to do, but does not offer nearly enough benefit to offset the possibility of damage. Your best bet if anything is a heat extractor type hood with an open cowl in the back. Another option would be ducting up from lower front valence/bumper using a filter setup. But really, i'd stick with a hood made to do the job. Just my 2 cents. :)

liljojo4711 06-04-2009 09:25 AM

i want to see some pics lol

foru2nv4 06-04-2009 04:50 PM

Thanks for the replies

mustangman281 06-04-2009 05:28 PM

I've had mine cut for years. It adds no real performance gain. The only think I get out of it now is it blows cold air on my fuel rails cooling the fuel to help avoid cavitating my pump. I covered it once and could barely drive the car in 90* weather. I really need a fuel pump speed controler.