4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

mach stereo system question

Old 05-23-2009, 06:24 PM
mikeellinas

Default mach stereo system question

Picked up my 01 Cobra. It has the Mach Speaker System and 6 disc changer. Two of the speakers are blown (driver side front and rear). Historically, I have bought all my stereo stuff from crutchfield, but I think the mach stuff is decent enough. When I looked for replacements, I could find anyone who had something exact. Where can I find the mach replacements? Do I have to go through Ford? How much am I looking at?
Old 05-23-2009, 06:28 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Just go aftermarket. I'm thinking of replacing all mine with JL Audio, Expensive but very good!
Old 05-23-2009, 09:37 PM
mikeellinas

Originally Posted by Mustang3GT07
Just go aftermarket. I'm thinking of replacing all mine with JL Audio, Expensive but very good!
the only problem is that the factory head unit only sends lows to the speakers and all the mids and highs to the tweeters. From what I am told, the tweeters are an odd size. I was trying to stay away from having to do the head unit, an amp, components etc....

If I had $2k to spend on a stereo, I would do all that, but I cant swing it right now
Old 05-23-2009, 10:13 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mikeellinas
the only problem is that the factory head unit only sends lows to the speakers and all the mids and highs to the tweeters. From what I am told, the tweeters are an odd size. I was trying to stay away from having to do the head unit, an amp, components etc....

If I had $2k to spend on a stereo, I would do all that, but I cant swing it right now
look for people throwing theirs out on craigslist, you won't be able to find cheap alternatives as ford did a ****ed up job wiring the stereo system. I started with just wanting to add a sub to the stock system and it ended up being a complete overhaul with a new headunit/speakers/sub.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:18 AM
dafizuck
3rd Gear Member

Is it possible to add an aftermarket amp and components with stock 6 disc??
Old 05-24-2009, 02:04 AM
jagass
1st Gear Member

You don't have to replaced the whole unit man...
Old 05-24-2009, 10:42 AM
machracer11
3rd Gear Member

where ya located I have been thinking of pulling mine out, I may sell it to ya

and here is a link to the company that makes the system to start out with if that helps ya any
http://www.evisteon.com/prod_serv/mo...60/index.shtml

Last edited by machracer11; 05-24-2009 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:53 AM
mvr
6th Gear Member

all you need is an aftermarket headunit and some good 3 or 4 way speakers. one of my door woofers blew on me so i decided to ditch the mach system. it was cool when i got it but i realized quickly it wasnt as good as aftermarket stuff. i ended up putting pioneer 4way speakers in each woofer position and they are powered by the pioneer headunit i got. i also took out the mach460 amp rack (which is surprisingly heavy btw).
Old 05-24-2009, 06:01 PM
mikeellinas

Originally Posted by mvr
all you need is an aftermarket headunit and some good 3 or 4 way speakers. one of my door woofers blew on me so i decided to ditch the mach system. it was cool when i got it but i realized quickly it wasnt as good as aftermarket stuff. i ended up putting pioneer 4way speakers in each woofer position and they are powered by the pioneer headunit i got. i also took out the mach460 amp rack (which is surprisingly heavy btw).
cool. thanks for the info. i will look into this as well. question tho--did you take out the mach tweeters?
Old 05-24-2009, 06:34 PM
mvr
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mikeellinas
cool. thanks for the info. i will look into this as well. question tho--did you take out the mach tweeters?
i didnt take them out, but they are not functional, i basically cut the wire. if you get a decent component speaker it will come with a tweeter. sound quality is just as good if not better out of 4 speakers as all of the mach stuff. the new headunit will give you more features especially if you want to run subwoofers.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: mach stereo system question