4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Are the DOHC 4.6 blocks the same?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 05:38 PM
mercury267
1st Gear Member

Default Are the DOHC 4.6 blocks the same?

I have a project I am working on an engine for. I have elected to stick with a 4.6 DOHC engine since I was able to aquire one from my cousin's 2004 Mach 1 which was blown and one from an uncle's 1995 Mark VIII LSC.
I knew the Mach 1 block was bad and after breaking it down found a good crank which I believe to be forged. There is a broken rod, a warped rod and 2 pistons.

The plan is to buy forged rods & pistons, GT cams and a KB blower using the crank and heads from the Mach 1 engine and the block from the 95 Mark VIII.

I haven't broken down the Mark engine yet, but know it was a running engine with high miles.

The question I have is if the block from the 1995 Mark is going to be the "same" as the 2004 Mach 1 block, and will the Mach 1 heads and crank work?

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Old 06-07-2009, 06:17 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

is the mach 1 auto or stick? the 5 speed machs had a forged crank while the autos did not.

the two blocks are different, but what you have planned should still work. the mark VIII block i believe is aluminum and was the same block used in the 96-98 cobras. this block is also known as the teksid block and is very durable. the 04 mach used the WAP (windsor aluminum plant) block.

anyone can feel free to correct me if im wrong...
Old 06-07-2009, 10:00 PM
jrherald420
5th Gear Member

you are correct sir
Old 06-08-2009, 06:48 PM
mercury267
1st Gear Member

Yes, the Mach 1 4.6 came out of a 5 spd car and appears to be forged. The rods and pistons appear to be cast. I thought all internal parts after 02 were all forged. Nonetheless, with 2 or 3 cracked pistons and bent/ broken rods I need new ones regardless.

That is good news that the 95 block will work. I was concerned that a block from 10 years prior would not work. Based on what you said about the teksid blocks and only the 5 spd Mach 1s having forged cranks, it sounds like I may have lucked out on this.

Since there is a bit of a difference between the blocks, should I expect to encounter any problems with either aftermarket mustang performance parts or engine accessories bolting up to the early Mark VIII block?
Old 06-08-2009, 07:38 PM
ShinobiOfLegends
3rd Gear Member

just remember to get dished pistons cause the stock Mach 1 heads and pistons don't do well with boost cause of the high c/r
Old 06-08-2009, 08:31 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mercury267
Yes, the Mach 1 4.6 came out of a 5 spd car and appears to be forged. The rods and pistons appear to be cast. I thought all internal parts after 02 were all forged. Nonetheless, with 2 or 3 cracked pistons and bent/ broken rods I need new ones regardless.

That is good news that the 95 block will work. I was concerned that a block from 10 years prior would not work. Based on what you said about the teksid blocks and only the 5 spd Mach 1s having forged cranks, it sounds like I may have lucked out on this.

Since there is a bit of a difference between the blocks, should I expect to encounter any problems with either aftermarket mustang performance parts or engine accessories bolting up to the early Mark VIII block?
you shouldn't have any problems at all. are you using the timing chain cover from the mach?
Old 06-09-2009, 03:50 PM
mercury267
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShinobiOfLegends
just remember to get dished pistons cause the stock Mach 1 heads and pistons don't do well with boost cause of the high c/r
No problem. I need new pistons and will be consulting my machine shop when making the selection to get what is needed for the ultimate build plan.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:18 PM
mercury267
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 945LSTANG
you shouldn't have any problems at all. are you using the timing chain cover from the mach?
I hadn't compared the 2 to see if there is a difference... but I will be using the Mach 1 timing cover now.

I am going to use as much from the Mach 1 engine as possible, less the broken internals. I am also going to have the heads and crank checked out to make sure that they are also good to use.

The only thing that I plan on using from the Mark VIII engine currently is going to be the block and the oil pan. In the event I find that an accessory needs to be used from the Mark VIII engine I will do so.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:46 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mercury267
I hadn't compared the 2 to see if there is a difference... but I will be using the Mach 1 timing cover now.

I am going to use as much from the Mach 1 engine as possible, less the broken internals. I am also going to have the heads and crank checked out to make sure that they are also good to use.

The only thing that I plan on using from the Mark VIII engine currently is going to be the block and the oil pan. In the event I find that an accessory needs to be used from the Mark VIII engine I will do so.
sounds like you've got everything on lock.

good luck with the build!
Old 06-09-2009, 07:52 PM
mercury267
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 945LSTANG
sounds like you've got everything on lock.

good luck with the build!
Thank you and thanks to everyone that helped getting me some details on this.

Quick Reply: Are the DOHC 4.6 blocks the same?