4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Drivetrain Issues (possibly clutch related) help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 09:49 AM
MrSonic
1st Gear Member

Default Drivetrain Issues (possibly clutch related) help!

ok well saturday night on the way home from my girls house i slapped on the throttle a bit around some curves. on one of those hard accels i heard a thud sound coming out from underneath the car. now earlier that day the car had been giving me problems on getting into the gears between shifts. no matter which gear it would go into i would have to put an extra effort,it felt as if the clutch wasnt fully disengaging causing me to have difficulties shifting.

when i got to my condo complex i noticed that when going over the speed bumps in first gear with the clutch pressed down all the way the clutch felt as if it were still trying to come into contact like if it were trying to grab and not coming off completely. another thing i noticed is that when i go to take off it feels like its chattering(shakes noticeably) like a mother when it never did this before.

now here is my guess on this whole mess. im guessing its either A. something wrong with the clutch cable adjustment ,so i ordered a steeda adjustment kit. that way if it fixes it cool ,if not then i need it anyways.

or B. the throwout bearing took a dump because it had been whining since i got the car and kinda makes sense.

either way the car has been parked since at my house and im using the buddy system to get to work or using my moms car lol. any ideas?
Old 06-11-2009, 11:21 AM
CAMDUP
3rd Gear Member

you are on the right track , but your not gonna know for sure until you start replacing some things (ie. firewall adj)
Old 06-11-2009, 11:49 AM
mustangGT7822
1st Gear Member

If its engaging when the clutch pedal is fully pressed then it does sound like a cable adjustment issue.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:53 PM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Sound to me like a clutch cable.
either out adjustment or stretched out.

If the TB went then I would think you wouldnt be able to even push clutch in at all without a lot of noise or very hard to push.

Hope you fix your Stang and Good luck
Old 06-11-2009, 05:02 PM
MrSonic
1st Gear Member

ok well on the other site mod.m some one told me to sit in the car and push the pedal all the way down release and let it go back up on its own.then they said put my foot underneath it and then pull it all the way up.

well i did that and it traveled up about what felt like a half inch and i turned it on and moved it front and back and it stopped then took it for a spin but i guess since the cable is shot it got unadjusted again.

so yeah goo thing i ordered the adjustment kit i should have it tomorrow.