4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Tail light Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 11:43 PM
apeterman
1st Gear Member

Default Tail light Problem

So I thought I was smart and would replace my burnt out middle tail light. But it didn't fix the problem. The middle light isn't on when I turn the lights on, but if I put on the right turn signal it works or hit the brakes it works.

There are three wires that go into the socket. Which one is for the tail light? Is the wire shorted or do I need a new socket? Would it even be worth the trouble to fix it myself or pay somebody to do it?
Old 06-12-2009, 12:42 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by apeterman
So I thought I was smart and would replace my burnt out middle tail light. But it didn't fix the problem. The middle light isn't on when I turn the lights on, but if I put on the right turn signal it works or hit the brakes it works.

There are three wires that go into the socket. Which one is for the tail light? Is the wire shorted or do I need a new socket? Would it even be worth the trouble to fix it myself or pay somebody to do it?
The bulb is a double filament bulb, one of the filament is burned out, replace the bulb and you'll be fine. I believe its a 11mm socket, 3 bolts, pop the taillight off, twist the bulb out, use pliers to pull the existing bulb out and pop the new bulb in.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:11 AM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

He already tried replacing it, he says the new one still isn't lighting up. I have had this issue before with mine. With the lamp out and lights on try jiggling the bulb and socket and see if you can't get it to light up, then if you do, track down which wire it is and see if you can fix it. My issue was the socket was going bad, so I replaced it.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:02 PM
apeterman
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlueBloodedPony
He already tried replacing it, he says the new one still isn't lighting up. I have had this issue before with mine. With the lamp out and lights on try jiggling the bulb and socket and see if you can't get it to light up, then if you do, track down which wire it is and see if you can fix it. My issue was the socket was going bad, so I replaced it.
How did you replace the socket? Just cut the wires and splice them into the new socket?

Where did you get your new socket from?

Last edited by apeterman; 06-12-2009 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Add question
Old 06-13-2009, 01:07 PM
J_Rod
2nd Gear Member

you can get them at autozone, advance, the dealership. when you cut if off leave a few inches of the harness on the socket just in case.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:14 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

have you installed the bulb correctly? there is a positive and negative side, have you tried switching the way the bulb is put into the socket?
Old 06-14-2009, 12:00 AM
black35th
4th Gear Member

Are you sure that you replaced it with a dual filament bulb? Sounds like you only got a single filament to me.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:00 PM
apeterman
1st Gear Member

I got the one that my manual said to get, the 3157. I will try switching it around and see what happens.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:10 PM
apeterman
1st Gear Member

Switched the bulb around and it still doesn't work. I am thinking the socket is bad. Anybody else got any other ideas?
Old 06-16-2009, 12:23 AM
black35th
4th Gear Member

Put your new bulb in the same socket of the other tailight and see if it works.

They make a 3157 in a single filament and dual filament, my guess is that you got the single. If the bulb does work in the other tailight then you'll know that you have a bad socket, if it doesn't work then you bought a single filament bulb.

Quick Reply: Tail light Problem