4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Buying an SVT cobra next summer

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 09:53 PM
justinschmidt1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by steve0914
your a dumb punk *** kid, so go spend 23000 on a cobra instead of making a GT twice as fast as a cobra..

lol..

No offense to you but the only way he could make the GT stay faster than the cobra would be with a built shortblock and then boost which would cost a lot of money, then youve got a weak transmission, weak rear, it doesnt end, bam, you can be 10k deep that fast instead of buying a car that already has everything built to handle power, will maintain its value, and looks sexier anyway

Throwing boost on the stock engine is fine, and yea, he should be able to take down STOCK 03/04 cobras but you can throw like 1k into the cobra and butt rape the GT

Ive put a lot of money in my GT, yea its fast, but I would rather have put a down payment on a 03 cobra.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:39 PM
Young_Buck
2nd Gear Member

......yea I would not spend 19k on a cobra if i already have a fine car to start with. Take the time and modify your GT.

You should sit down and think about what you really want to accomplish with your ride in the long run. What happens if somthing breaks on the cobra.......vs GT. Parts are more readily available for the gt and it can be built just as well as any other eight cylinder powered car..... I mean how serious are you about wanting to own a five to six hundred horsepower car?!?

Save your money i think you have a good car to play with and learn on. You can always buy a cobra in 5 or so more years (dont think the markets goin' anywhere for awhile) Save your money and let it work for you in the bank....CD or something.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:53 PM
justinschmidt1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Young_Buck
......yea I would not spend 19k on a cobra if i already have a fine car to start with. Take the time and modify your GT.

You should sit down and think about what you really want to accomplish with your ride in the long run. What happens if somthing breaks on the cobra.......vs GT. Parts are more readily available for the gt and it can be built just as well as any other eight cylinder powered car..... I mean how serious are you about wanting to own a five to six hundred horsepower car?!?

Save your money i think you have a good car to play with and learn on. You can always buy a cobra in 5 or so more years (dont think the markets goin' anywhere for awhile) Save your money and let it work for you in the bank....CD or something.

It really depends on what he wants...with the gt, he will be stuck at about 400 rwhp. Which is not really all that amazing once you get used to it. Atleast with the cobra he will always have room to upgrade.

Then again, I guess he would end up spending just as much on the cobra to get it to 5-600 hp cause it will need a blower upgrade.

Everything on the cobra is made to handle abuse so I doubt the cobra will break anywhere near as much as a gt would with boost.

Its gonna cost ya to go fast either way
Old 06-23-2009, 11:13 PM
evolve

they say "youve gotta pay to play". Im glad I went with the cobra.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:15 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by evolve
they say "youve gotta pay to play". Im glad I went with the cobra.
+1 to that man!
Old 06-23-2009, 11:28 PM
gunpig0313
3rd Gear Member

Bro don't listen to everyone hating on you I wish I would have been as set as you are at 19. But I would look everywhere for your Cobra not just at a dealer ship. I have found alot of nice 03/04 Cobras for anywhere from 18k to 32k depending on what was done to it and almost all of them where well taken care of.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:55 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

A little over a year ago I paid $27k for my car. Yes I paid alot but it had everthing I wanted and was mint.

100% all stock, Owned my a woman, Driven only 3 months a year, stored in heat/ac garage, 12k miles, orig plastic still on seats, floor mats, and steering wheel, all orig paper work - svt letter, svt certificate etc. I found mine at a dealer 5hrs away, the orig owner (woman) traded it in on a vette. Got to talk to her to confirm all the info the dealer told me.

Great deals are out their man! I paid off my 07 gt before I traded it in and I got $20k for it so I only financed $7k which I got only 1 year left till its all paid off and I'm 21. The only thing that might hurt is insurance, mine just went down some from turning 21 and I hear it will go down again once turning 24.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:12 AM
gif4445
4th Gear Member

I would go LS1......jk guys!

In all seriousness....the 03/04 Cobra is a great car with a great value. Picking a mint one up for 18k isn't out of the ordinary anymore, especially with the kind of market that is out there. It's all "sell, sell, sell!" That means good deals and fast deals, but take YOUR time and find the absolute perfect one.

"Gotta pay to play" is overused but it rings true in just about any car deal that one could make, especially when you're into the world of goin fast
Old 06-24-2009, 02:18 AM
SmallFeesh
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustang3GT07
A little over a year ago I paid $27k for my car. Yes I paid alot but it had everthing I wanted and was mint.
Plus its that ultra sexah ultra rare Comp orange! Yea baby! Hope I find one...

You just cant beat the Terminator 4V, it just cant be done for the $$!

As far as only buying at a dealership, you can get beat down cars at reputable dealerships just as easy as on the street! I bought a 97 Camaro from a BMW dealership, it was a POS! In fact it is actually better in alot of ways to have some one on one time with the owner to find out if they are a douchebag car killer or not!
/thread.

Last edited by SmallFeesh; 06-24-2009 at 02:21 AM.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:03 AM
Hlistr_07RR
I always jizz first

Oh cool, it's going to turn into another 2v vs 4v thread.

He didn't ask what car you think he should buy, he said he wants an 03/04 cobra and wants help finding one, and what to look for.

If you're dead set on buying from a dealership, then go for it. I personally would look at SVTPerformance.com in their market section, they have a LOT of people selling Cobras on there. The price on them is coming down, for 23k you could have a built 600rwhp car, that's for sure.

Unless you're dead set on doing the work yourself, you're going to save a lot of money by getting one already built. Just take your time, look it over well, have a mechanic look at it, and go from there. Good luck, and props at owning your own house.

Quick Reply: Buying an SVT cobra next summer