4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Traction control freaks out

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 07:09 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
^ strong work with the little notation cliffy, but will not be enough to cause an issue with the ABS

Sure seems like a rotational speed issue, but I would recommend just to dump the trac-control all together and just driving more carefully in the wet. I don't know your age, but drove ALL my cars/trucks long before ABS was on any of them and have no use for it personally.

I learned to drive without ABS... why the hell do I need it now? (Jazzer theoretically speaking to Congress and talkin' long smack)

Jazzer..... dreamin'
Every time I post the working diameters the calculator on my web page provides someone gets on my case with the unloaded numbers most tire companies and other online sources list.

I've found it's easier to explain it up front, that they don't stay round once you put a car on top of 'em...

Re: t/c, I turned mine off 2 weeks after I got the car as soon as I got my first tuner. The only possible reason I could think of for leaving it on would be if it was the only car I owned and I lived some place that froze up in the winter.

It's been 35 years since I drove a V8 RWD car in snow and ice, not a pleasant experience at all even with studded snow tires--in the deep stuff you really needed chains to even move...

Last edited by cliffyk; 06-27-2009 at 07:13 AM.
Old 06-27-2009, 04:32 PM
WhiteNoise

Originally Posted by iMTB
Get rid of it and don't do something on the STREET where you might lose control...

Or maybe learn how to handle your car? I don't have traction control and I live in Florida where it rains all the time in some places and not others, if you are not stupid then you aren't going to crash because "it rained on one street and not the other."
thanks for the advice, im not gonna get rid of it, but im gonna have to find a place were i can push my car around and learn how it likes to be driven. cut me some slack, i used to drive a neon srt.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:49 PM
0949er
4th Gear Member

have you considered you don't have a T/C problem, but you are actually loosing control for a second? if those wheels come out on a nice wide turn onto the highway I can def see you sliding for a second

just my .02
Old 06-27-2009, 07:28 PM
gunpig0313
3rd Gear Member

AN SRT 4 is not a sports car its an americanized Jap rocket.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:41 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Every time I post the working diameters the calculator on my web page provides someone gets on my case with the unloaded numbers most tire companies and other online sources list.

I've found it's easier to explain it up front, that they don't stay round once you put a car on top of 'em...
I was just referring to the diameter differential being too minor weather loaded/unloaded would not be enough to create issues with TC Certainly, larger differential WILL cause issues, but have not been able to determine exactly at what point.

I have actually done lots of research on this very subject and was unable to find a consensus on when it becomes a problem. Different manufactuers have different tolerances and figure it is somewhere around 1" is my, and others, best guess for the Stangs. I know manufacturers can address the issue via manufacturing and the Prowler is a good example of just such technology:

Jazzer
Old 06-29-2009, 05:14 AM
WhiteNoise

Originally Posted by gunpig0313
AN SRT 4 is not a sports car its an americanized Jap rocket.
thats a dumb comment. u probebly got smoked by a neon and now u hate.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:05 PM
gunpig0313
3rd Gear Member

No never been smoked by one, They aren't a sports car bro i hate to break it to you.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:11 PM
ForbTheStang

actuly a stock srt-4 will beat a stock mustang gt. my buddy in his 98 cobra had problem keeping up with 1.

Last edited by ForbTheStang; 06-29-2009 at 03:14 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:10 PM
gunpig0313
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ForbTheStang
actuly a stock srt-4 will beat a stock mustang gt. my buddy in his 98 cobra had problem keeping up with 1.
I never said that it couldn't. I said its not a sports car. A Mustang is not a sports car either, it's a muscle car. A 300-350 Z is a sports car, a Skyline is a sports car, a Supra is a sports car.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:30 PM
ct_white_stang
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by gunpig0313
I never said that it couldn't. I said its not a sports car. A Mustang is not a sports car either, it's a muscle car. A 300-350 Z is a sports car, a Skyline is a sports car, a Supra is a sports car.
He we go again...FYI-This conversation is going on in the Thread- Are Neon lights Rice.....

Quick Reply: Traction control freaks out