4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Traction control freaks out

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 08:33 PM
WhiteNoise

Default Traction control freaks out

basically, when im taking a wide turn like on a highway on/off ramp my t/c light will come on and ofcourse starts taking power away. i got new tires and everything seems to be fine. i checked the wheel sensors and they are clean, i dont have cel and the t/c works normally in all other conditions.
it doesnt do it all the time, and i cant duplicate it. anyone have a clue or an experience with this sort of problem? oh and please dont say "just turn the traction control off" cause i know thats what some people do.
as far as mods, the car is totally stock except for the nitrous kit and the wheels/tires. fronts are 245-45-18 and rears are 295-35-18.
Thanks!
Old 06-24-2009, 09:38 PM
ct_white_stang
4th Gear Member

When did it start, when you got the new tires?
Old 06-24-2009, 10:42 PM
gunpig0313
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Black Magic
Hello, I recently bought a 1999 mustang gt with 131,xxx miles on it 5 sp. If I burn out, my traction control light on my dash comes on, so I know my tcs works. But if I push the tcs button, it won't turn off. I don't know if it's possibly the switch or wiring, but I checked the fuses and they all seem fine. Any advice?!

-thanks
Yes go buy a tuner and turn it of. You can take it to the dealer and they can turn it off also. A guy came in the dealer with the same problem you have this is what we did for him. When the computer senses to much slip from the rear wheels first it will apply the rear brakes, then it will shut off fuel and spark. The guy said it would do this under normal acceleration,and deceleration. We turned off the TCS, and the problem went away for about a month then came back. We replaced the computer and all was good.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:38 AM
WhiteNoise

ive only had the car for 3 months, but it did start after the new wheels/tires.
i would just have the t/c off all the time but around here it rains like on one side of the street and not the other, so if im putting along and i take a turn pretty quickly i could be turning into a street that is wet. the t/c put me in place when i dont expect slippage. with t/c off i end up loosing the rearend and hitting a side walk. thats why i have new rims and tires. this rain in miami is really something. ill look into a new ecu, maybe i can borrow one and check it out or something.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:54 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Do you have a large differential between front/rear tire diameters? What are the tire sizes you are running?

Jazzer
Old 06-25-2009, 03:56 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The front tires (245/45-18) are 25.88" effective diameter¹, 779 revs/mile; the rears (295/35-18) are 25.35", 796 revs/mile. That's a pretty big difference, it's messing with the ABS/traction control computer's brain...

-----------------------------------------------
¹ - This is the effective diameter for these sizes when loaded with the vehicle weight, not the unloaded diameter.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:22 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

^ strong work with the little notation cliffy, but will not be enough to cause an issue with the ABS

Sure seems like a rotational speed issue, but I would recommend just to dump the trac-control all together and just driving more carefully in the wet. I don't know your age, but drove ALL my cars/trucks long before ABS was on any of them and have no use for it personally.

I learned to drive without ABS... why the hell do I need it now? (Jazzer theoretically speaking to Congress and talkin' long smack)

Jazzer..... dreamin'
Old 06-25-2009, 08:29 PM
wolfwood09

since you just got it for only 3 months i think just took it to your dealer..
Old 06-26-2009, 04:17 AM
WhiteNoise

this is my first car with t/c, but then again this is my first rwd sport car. ive had jeeps or fwd sport cars. this is not a large issue, ill make due but it just bugs me cause i cant figure out why its doing it sometimes. hell, it doesnt even do it in the same locations at the same speed.
like i said b4, i just want it for the sneaky rain situation. sometimes there will be a small rain cell that passes an it only rains for example west of 66st, so when im driving on dry pavement and then i go to wet pavement in the middle of a turn then thats when i like it on. honestly, after i got new and better tires the car sticks much better in all conditions.
the last set of tires that came with the car sucked.
thanks for the help guys!
Old 06-26-2009, 08:57 AM
iMTB
2nd Gear Member

Get rid of it and don't do something on the STREET where you might lose control...

Or maybe learn how to handle your car? I don't have traction control and I live in Florida where it rains all the time in some places and not others, if you are not stupid then you aren't going to crash because "it rained on one street and not the other."

Quick Reply: Traction control freaks out