4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

catlitic converter question.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 10:12 AM
ForbTheStang

Default catlitic converter question.

i just baught my 01 GT and i drove 2 and a half hours to get it. i drove it 2 and a half hours back with no problem. well the day after my check engine light came on and i took it to autozone and they said i had a bad cat well i noticed that the floor by the pedals gets real hot and on the lower dash gets real hot also could pluged up cats cause this? i have a borla cat back and the cats were elinated could that cause my check engine light? i relly do think my front cats are bad.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:23 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I doubt your cats are bad and if it was plugged up, you would blow-up your motor.

If you installed an aftermarket X or H pipe, you have eliminated your rear cats and WILL trigger a dash light if not addressed with MIL eliminators. Was this the first drive without your rear cats?

Jazzer
Old 06-25-2009, 12:33 PM
cbbass123
1st Gear Member

from the pics it looks like somebody removed the back cats and welded in a pipe for replacement. That would probably trip out the rear O2 sensor with diff readings. Take it to a muff shop and they can tell if cat bad or not. <---Sometimes with vibrations when banging or if air in exhaust is low coming out. As for heat...check for minor exhaust leaks where welds are or where heat is at strongest. Exhaust gets boiling hot and small leaks can warm up bottom floor. What is the actual code the check engine light gave? That would help too.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:33 PM
Topless06
2nd Gear Member

Do you smell a rotten egg smell. I believe when they getting close to being clogged they smell like this. Correct me if i am wrong
Old 06-25-2009, 01:01 PM
ForbTheStang

Originally Posted by cbbass123
from the pics it looks like somebody removed the back cats and welded in a pipe for replacement. That would probably trip out the rear O2 sensor with diff readings. Take it to a muff shop and they can tell if cat bad or not. <---Sometimes with vibrations when banging or if air in exhaust is low coming out. As for heat...check for minor exhaust leaks where welds are or where heat is at strongest. Exhaust gets boiling hot and small leaks can warm up bottom floor. What is the actual code the check engine light gave? That would help too.
the back cats are gone. i dono what the code is ill have to get it re plulled by why would the light take 5-6 hours to come on? i dont think there total pluged but i think there getting bad.the lowerdash does get relly hot its the only thing i can think of.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:52 PM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

A bad cat can cause excessive heat build up, but it does sound to me like it is more related to the modifications made to the midpipe than anything else.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:49 PM
ForbTheStang

what problem could the mod to the mid pipe be?
Old 06-25-2009, 11:20 PM
gunpig0313
3rd Gear Member

It looks like a hack job bro I would take it to someone that know what the hell they are doing and have them fix it. If you state doesn't have emissions test just get and off road x or h mid pipe.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:02 AM
ForbTheStang

im having a guy in town make me an x pipe well see how it goes.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:17 AM
gunpig0313
3rd Gear Member

Dude just buy one there cheap as hell americanmuscle.com check it out.

Quick Reply: catlitic converter question.