4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Why did my car stall?

Old 06-27-2009, 08:05 AM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Default Why did my car stall?

This morning, I was sitting in a driveway with my car idling. My car had already been driven about 5 miles, and was warmed up to normal operating temperature. During the 5 minute drive, I had the "cool air" blowing out of the normal vents. As I sat there with my car idling, waiting... I decided to turn on the heat. I turned the **** to full blast, and turned the temperature **** ALL the way to "hot", and my car just.. blub blub... stalled. What's going on here?
Old 06-27-2009, 09:44 AM
Ultimeas
3rd Gear Member

I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but mine stalled randomly until I cleaned my idle air control valve.

Spray some carb cleaner in it and see if that does anything.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:40 AM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Someone told me that once too. I had a problem with my car stalling at idle. And I have a BRAND NEW bottom end! So that MUST conclude that it is somewhere int he short block. I run Lucas valve cleaner every fill up.

Where is this IAC? On the Intake tube?
Old 06-27-2009, 12:50 PM
reznap
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Evenexchange
Someone told me that once too. I had a problem with my car stalling at idle. And I have a BRAND NEW bottom end! So that MUST conclude that it is somewhere int he short block. I run Lucas valve cleaner every fill up.

Where is this IAC? On the Intake tube?
It bolts (2 small bolts) to the front of your upper intake plenum and has a hose that runs into your intake tube. You can remove the hose and just spray in there but I wouldn't soak it too much.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:58 PM
grogan
3rd Gear Member

my car stalls out all the time. mine is the stall converter i think. its not slipping when its in drive. nuetral i wont stall.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:35 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

What should I spray in there? WD-40?
Old 06-28-2009, 11:28 PM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

the engine will normally slow down for a split second when you turn on the a/c or the cooling fan comes on. if you notice, the lights will also dim a little when it does it. Thats from the quick electrical load it puts on the charging system. I dont know what all is done to your car, but you might cure it by raising the idle rpm just slightly.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:08 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Frostbitten
the engine will normally slow down for a split second when you turn on the a/c or the cooling fan comes on. if you notice, the lights will also dim a little when it does it. Thats from the quick electrical load it puts on the charging system. I dont know what all is done to your car, but you might cure it by raising the idle rpm just slightly.
Actually its because of the mechanical load from the a/c engaging, the lights dim because the rpms drop and the alt. spins slower so output drops below what it should be at normal idle.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:17 PM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by devongarver
Actually its because of the mechanical load from the a/c engaging, the lights dim because the rpms drop and the alt. spins slower so output drops below what it should be at normal idle.
same thing happens when the cooling fan comes on but its not putting a mechanical load on the engine
Old 06-29-2009, 12:19 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Frostbitten
same thing happens when the cooling fan comes on but its not putting a mechanical load on the engine
We dont have electric fans...or atleast i dont.

Edit: now that i think about it,...im not sure lol. I really didnt think i did, i've never paid any attention to it. Sorry.

Last edited by devongarver; 06-29-2009 at 12:25 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why did my car stall?