Notices
4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

1996 GT running rough. please help!!!

Old 07-13-2017, 01:48 PM
Laurie Melton Roderick

Default 1996 gt problems

Ok, so just bought my son his first Mustang. 1996 GT buying it cheap so there is issues of course. Car cranks and runs but runs rough, idles low when crank and have to give a little gas to keep running until warms up. Engine has 106k miles car is all original (even exhaust) car engine shakes like crazy, not very much power (but in all fairness been awhile since I drove an older Mustang just getting out of 2014 GT/CS). Bought car from non Mustang lovers who have had less than a year and was running fine then lost power, had tune up at some small shop. Wires are marked so hoping they put on correctly and we checked fire at each and everything firing. I initially was hoping throttle body, egr or IAC. I drove car a mile or so to check to see if ran hot, which it did not but did see a coolant light which makes me question head gasket possibilities. No water in oil, no smoke from under hood or out exhaust. No water out exhaust. I do however smell coolant under hood. That distinct smell of coolant. Anyhow kid who had car states he didnt add any coolant and did not run hot, not to his knowledge. He is fairly clueless. My husband checked a few things no check engine light so we didnt even scan. To avoid risking damaging anything else I had rollback pu car and was going to tow to shop but my sons Papa(who is 5.0 302 old style knowledgeable) wants to help my son. I figure maybe he will appreciate the car or be done with Mustangs altogether. At any rate is there any advice you guys can give me bc it has been a long time since I actually have messed with cars that required work. I think it is going to be a test and cuss and trouble shoot. My husband is questioning intake gasket. I would love to know if there are any good places to start. Would appreciate it, and hoping that this GT is a keeper and dont want to do anything to damage the car. Thanks so much