4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Boost - valvesprings question.

Old 06-28-2009, 11:54 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Default Boost - valvesprings question.

So it was to my understanding the only thing stock valvesprings would limit is my RPMS, recently i got into a well lets call it a conversation about how stock valvesprings could limit the amount of boost i could run as the incoming air could lift the valves? Maybe boost pressure keeping the intake valves open? Probably not? lol.

I've decided to keep stock (01 cobra heads) for now get the car on the road and slowly build ported 03 cobra heads .w blower cams and all the works.

enlighten me.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:33 AM
Stevecooper
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SVTeeshirt
So it was to my understanding the only thing stock valvesprings would limit is my RPMS, recently i got into a well lets call it a conversation about how stock valvesprings could limit the amount of boost i could run as the incoming air could lift the valves? Maybe boost pressure keeping the intake valves open? Probably not? lol.

I've decided to keep stock (01 cobra heads) for now get the car on the road and slowly build ported 03 cobra heads .w blower cams and all the works.

enlighten me.
From what In understand its not really the "boost" pressure thats the problem its the cylinder pressure. Adding supercharger will greatly increase cylinder pressures and could open the intake valve if the pressures are too great for the spring to overcome.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:45 AM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

hmm, good to know, anyone else have experience with this?
Old 06-29-2009, 09:22 AM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stevecooper
From what In understand its not really the "boost" pressure thats the problem its the cylinder pressure. Adding supercharger will greatly increase cylinder pressures and could open the intake valve if the pressures are too great for the spring to overcome.
+1. I have personally never experienced this but have heard the same things. Running high boost will increase cylinder press which might be too much for the stock springs. Possibly causing them to not shut completely or to stay /"stick" in the open position. This is why you would need to upgrade to "stronger" springs with a higher spring rate. The new stronger spring woulfd then be able to overcome the high cylinder press and successfully open and close the valves.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:11 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

My buddy Eric (Doughby4.6) is running 19lbs though a T trim, stock springs/heads and 262ah NA cams. (555rw) 2.9"RR pulley and 10% OD Balancer.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:41 AM
nickmckinney
3rd Gear Member

Boost is in PSI so take the surface area of your intake valve(s), multiply by the boost pressure, and that is the amount of valve spring pressure you are loosing. A turbo car also looses pressure on the exhaust valve. How much is too much? Too many variables. Its always wiser to run more spring pressure than not enough especially on the seat.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:23 AM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

I'm a bit skeptical. If true this must have something to do with the overlap otherwise the cylinder pressure would hold the valve closed.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:45 AM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

ive heard about this also. a couple people told me that a turbo car will float the exhaust valves on stock valve springs. So when I built my motor I had the heads ported out and at the same time I had a fresh valve job done with brand new manley nextek springs and comp high load retainers. Finished it up with a fel-pro MLS head gasket and arp head studs. Still using stock cams and im telling you this thing feels smooth in the upper rpm's....
Old 06-30-2009, 12:02 AM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

well looks like we'll see lol.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:26 AM
highpsi04
Banned

Originally Posted by Stevecooper
That makes no sense. Higher cylinder pressures will hold the valves shut. I have heard of turbo cars floating the exhaust valves because of backpressure but I have never heard of valve float due to boost.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Boost - valvesprings question.