4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Mysterious Squeeking, Front Suspension help

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 07:06 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShinobiOfLegends
Usually a bushing issue will cause your alignment angles to adjust....
Thats the reason why I did not originally check any of the bushings since the alignment returned with the same measurements as before. I'll be checking them anyways just to be sure now. A co-worker says it could be a brake booster issue? But I'm not too certain of that because of the pops/bumps I feel with the clutch.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:27 PM
ShinobiOfLegends
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Aereon
Thats the reason why I did not originally check any of the bushings since the alignment returned with the same measurements as before. I'll be checking them anyways just to be sure now. A co-worker says it could be a brake booster issue? But I'm not too certain of that because of the pops/bumps I feel with the clutch.
I seriously doubt its the brake booster since we have a retarded cable setup... Your coworker does know that we don't have hydraulic clutches, right?
Old 07-01-2009, 12:14 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

I seriously doubt its the brake booster since we have a retarded cable setup... Your coworker does know that we don't have hydraulic clutches, right?
Nope lols, told him that and he had the wtf look. I'm beginning to think it may be a tranny/engine mount? whats the best way to check for this?
Old 07-01-2009, 12:26 PM
ShinobiOfLegends
3rd Gear Member

Nope lols, told him that and he had the wtf look. I'm beginning to think it may be a tranny/engine mount? whats the best way to check for this?
I've gotten that a lot. People think its strange that a vehicle after the early 90s still hasn't gone hydraulic....and I agree, I don't know what Ford was thinking...

But anyways, tranny mount will be obvious, as generally your shifter will wobble around substantially. The same can be said of the engine. Put your car in neutral, pop the hood, and have someone rev it up to around 3000 and let go, do it several times. If the engine raises up move than usual or twists substantially, then you've probably got a bad engine mount.

For a more accurate diagnosis, get up under the car and use a pry bar to check for excessive movement of the mounts at the mounts location, its the same for engine and tranny mounts.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:37 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

kk, so I've revved the engine at the TB and the engine shifts but no sign of shaking from the mounts, the tranny was put through its pace as I was blipping the throttle at 4k rpms in first to shake the car a bit.

Is there any possible way that a noise in the rear/bumps can affect (clutch/brake)pedal feel?
Old 07-02-2009, 01:45 AM
ShinobiOfLegends
3rd Gear Member

kk, so I've revved the engine at the TB and the engine shifts but no sign of shaking from the mounts, the tranny was put through its pace as I was blipping the throttle at 4k rpms in first to shake the car a bit.

Is there any possible way that a noise in the rear/bumps can affect (clutch/brake)pedal feel?

hold on, i'm brain dead (i've been assembling a t-56 for a friend all day and i'm tired...), what rear/bumps?
Old 07-02-2009, 02:05 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

hold on, i'm brain dead (i've been assembling a t-56 for a friend all day and i'm tired...), what rear/bumps?
Just trying to rule out any hearing problems I'm having, I'm thoroughly confused about what the sound could be caused by from the front, so I'm just trying to rule out me being retarded and possibly have the sound coming from the IRS as that was the last major thing that I did before the sounds started up.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:19 AM
a_penquin
4th Gear Member

This almost sounds like an issue I had with my 98. Are you feeling like a pulse or anything through the clutch and try to pinpoint if its with the brake movement or clutch. I had a slight pulsation in the clutch pedal which turned into a squeal every time I used the clutch. It also felt like the clutch needed replaced at times. When I replaced the clutch shortly after I found the throwout bearing in three pieces (with no ball bearings), and four bent teeth on the pressure plate. I hope that isnt the issue, but a quick way to check is to remove the fork cover (one bolt and slides off) and see if theres any loose ***** or if you can, visually inspect everything through there. As far as the front right goes, Im betting on a loose control arm bushing or loose coil over.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:40 AM
4.698GT
4th Gear Member

did you happen to check the bearings in the cc plates? Maybe they oblonged out and the strut is moving in the bearing or maybe internally the bearing is shot.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:21 PM
ShinobiOfLegends
3rd Gear Member

Just trying to rule out any hearing problems I'm having, I'm thoroughly confused about what the sound could be caused by from the front, so I'm just trying to rule out me being retarded and possibly have the sound coming from the IRS as that was the last major thing that I did before the sounds started up.
OK, here's something I had to with a friend's car, get some buddies to stand around each side of the car in a parking lot and try to get it to replicate the sound and let them worry about where the sound is coming from. Cause noises are tricky business man, just because you think thats where its from, doesn't mean it is when you're stuck inside the car...

Quick Reply: Mysterious Squeeking, Front Suspension help