4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

has anyone put another motor other than a ford in a sn-95?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 10:37 PM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMRvg_p6K54

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYh9ebF_KmY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjuoWRkSJgg

and just thought this vid was awesome!!! turbo LSX in a fox is CRAZZZYYY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNtCHsBLlwM
Old 07-02-2009, 12:11 AM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

there are plenty of ford engines that would make so much power you couldnt even hook it up anywhere so I dont understand the logic behind a chevy ls1 in a mustang...
Old 07-02-2009, 12:35 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

I understand teh old redneck theory of L57's and carb'd engines but now with current engines and tech, unless you are starting with a shell roller, there's no point to converting. I dont have anything against it except it isn't practical. I know several people with Ls conversions. One of which is turbo'd... ...Yes, I'm faster, quicker, cheaper and I'll always be welcome at Fun Ford Weekends, lol.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:01 AM
Fobra
Banned

Originally Posted by Frostbitten
there are plenty of ford engines that would make so much power you couldnt even hook it up anywhere so I dont understand the logic behind a chevy ls1 in a mustang...
the reason (for me) is, price, weight, simplicity and how much power you can make n/a and how much power you can make on pump gas with boost... there is no comparison.

BTW an LSX is very different from an LS1.

Last edited by Fobra; 07-02-2009 at 01:05 AM.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:21 AM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Frostbitten
some people like to be different. for every 10 built 4.6/5.0 mustangs you MAY see 1 lsx mustang and it will catch your eye at a carshow/dragstrip.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:52 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JJ03MustangGT
some people like to be different. for every 10 built 4.6/5.0 mustangs you MAY see 1 lsx mustang and it will catch your eye at a carshow/dragstrip.
I'm a FIRM believer that "If it isn't custom it isn't modified and in essence not truly yours; Just a reproduction of what anyone can build. It's the ingenuity and self expression of your car that makes your car represent who/what you are."

This also means that modifying isn't always cost effective and the cheapest route. If all of you already know this, take my opinion and use it to value what you want to build, then there's no argument from me about what anyone does with their car but you should ALWAYS be 100% informed on facts. An Ls or mod engine can both be built to do the same thing if Hp/Tq is the only coefficient.

Saying that NA power vs. FI power is better than the other is silly since power, is power no matter where it comes from.

As an example only (not a rule): I know I've spent half as much on my 600hp car than my friend with an 800hp LSX.

Last edited by Sxynerd; 07-02-2009 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:48 PM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sxynerd
I'm a FIRM believer that "If it isn't custom it isn't modified and in essence not truly yours; Just a reproduction of what anyone can build. It's the ingenuity and self expression of your car that makes your car represent who/what you are."

This also means that modifying isn't always cost effective and the cheapest route. If all of you already know this, take my opinion and use it to value what you want to build, then there's no argument from me about what anyone does with their car but you should ALWAYS be 100% informed on facts. An Ls or mod engine can both be built to do the same thing if Hp/Tq is the only coefficient.

Saying that NA power vs. FI power is better than the other is silly since power, is power no matter where it comes from.

As an example only (not a rule): I know I've spent half as much on my 600hp car than my friend with an 800hp LSX.
I like that quote, I think I'm going to steal it.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:50 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Haha, thanks. I'm flattered (In a manly way) that you found it something good to repeat.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:13 PM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

yes but i guarantee you ive spent half as much as you and making the same power. i agree and dont agree that power is power. you should know that a turbo'd 4.6 will run completely different than a n2o h/c ls1. numbers are the same but how they run is completely different. OP asked about a certain powerplant in his car, not is it better than building a 4.6. if i were in his postition would i take the plunge, and do a different engine swap.....eh probaly not (due to time/wife problems), but that doesnt mean it should be shot down just b/c the ford crowd doesnt approve. like you said power is power right?

-OP can it be done...YES
-is it cheaper than a built 4.6....too many variables, could be cheaper or could be 10x more expensive
-the lsx platform has the most choices of n/a and FI setups vs the 4.6. with the 4.6 your really limited to FI only.

Originally Posted by sxynerd

Old 07-02-2009, 09:12 PM
5speedstang
4th Gear Member

i was going to do a sn-95 with a 400 bored .030 over which would make it a 406 with a carb, alm heads, monster cam and all supporting mods. but in all essence to get the car the way i want it im looking at over 10k and who knows how many years. so the eyes are on a 96-98 cobra. going back to the ol 4 valve motor.

Quick Reply: has anyone put another motor other than a ford in a sn-95?