4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

A/C for Dummies!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 05:15 PM
Buckwild

Default A/C for Dummies!

Okay guys...I have searched the forums and not been able to find a good fit to my problem...I need some expert advice! I am having problems with my A/C and I live in Florida (and it's HOT!)...

A few weeks ago, my a/c started blowing warm....I get a bottle of R134...it has it's own gage and hose...seems like a pretty easy job (am I am NOT a Mechanic by any stretch of the imagination)....today, my dad and I go out and hook up the bottle (the car has been warmed up, the A/C is on (blowing warm, outside temp. air)..owners manual open, and a hot towel just in case.....

We hook up the bottle and the gage goes from just past 0 (zero) to almost 50...in sync with the compressor, which is cycling on and off every few seconds!

We gave it a little shot of R134, but the same thing...high to low pressure, warm air blowing...we decided to seek help before going any farther!

Like I said, the compressor is cycling every few seconds....why would it do this? We hooked the bottle to the low side so we should get a good reading, but the gage would read high and then low again.....

Anybody out there know what the heck it going on?

Thanks in advance!

Dan
Old 07-05-2009, 05:59 PM
jvog
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Buckwild
Okay guys...I have searched the forums and not been able to find a good fit to my problem...I need some expert advice! I am having problems with my A/C and I live in Florida (and it's HOT!)...

A few weeks ago, my a/c started blowing warm....I get a bottle of R134...it has it's own gage and hose...seems like a pretty easy job (am I am NOT a Mechanic by any stretch of the imagination)....today, my dad and I go out and hook up the bottle (the car has been warmed up, the A/C is on (blowing warm, outside temp. air)..owners manual open, and a hot towel just in case.....

We hook up the bottle and the gage goes from just past 0 (zero) to almost 50...in sync with the compressor, which is cycling on and off every few seconds!

We gave it a little shot of R134, but the same thing...high to low pressure, warm air blowing...we decided to seek help before going any farther!

Like I said, the compressor is cycling every few seconds....why would it do this? We hooked the bottle to the low side so we should get a good reading, but the gage would read high and then low again.....

Anybody out there know what the heck it going on?

Thanks in advance!

Dan

The gauge was readiing high and low as the compressor cycled on and off (like you said). You have to put the whole bottle of freon in. Eventually the gauge won't jump once the whole bottle is in and the a/c is fully charged.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:55 PM
mustang_pa
4th Gear Member

your a/c compressor should be cycling every minute, not every 5 seconds. If your a/c is really low and no leaks at all, you should have to put around 34oz or so in. Once you do that the compressor cycle shouldn't be so short. I think it actually said how much r134a to put in it, on the underside of the hood. I just did mine and it took 3 12oz cans to fill and i had a leak that i found and fixed.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:35 PM
Buckwild

hummm......I am getting confused.....the gage read around zero....then would just into the yellow section, which is around 45lbs.....then back to around zero....this would happen exactly when I would hear the compressor cycling.

The gage on the bottle reads in lbs. and is color coded...green=add, yellow=alert, red=? but I am sure it is not good! I am afraid to add too much and BOOM! Remember, I am NO Mechanic!

here is a link to this stuff

http://www.id-usa.com/product.asp?CID=27&PID=92

Last edited by Buckwild; 07-05-2009 at 08:53 PM. Reason: link
Old 07-05-2009, 08:37 PM
StockD15b
4th Gear Member

my sticker says 2lbs 2 oz. so thats 34oz's. 16oz in a lb.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:39 PM
StockD15b
4th Gear Member

as the compressor cycles dump the freon in, when it stops cycling stop adding, when it starts back up again cont. the flow of freon.

where in Fl are u? im Volusia county i.e daytona beach,deland area.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:48 PM
Buckwild

Originally Posted by StockD15b
my sticker says 2lbs 2 oz. so thats 34oz's. 16oz in a lb.
Oh crap....yea...maybe "45lbs" is not the correct reading....I will have to check it out tomorrow after work...lol...then I have jury duty the next day...this week is turning out kind of bad already...

I live near Lakeland....I have a buddy that is supposed to help me do this, but with it being the holiday weekend......hard to get in touch with them!

Thanks for the advice...should I worry about putting too much 134 into the system? Also, someone mentioned that I might need to "bleed" the system...is that true and if so, how does that work?

Here is the "How to" video....my gage jumps from the yellow back to the green, over and over!

http://www.id-usa.com/video/aug04/sy...Media-DSL).wmv

Dan

Last edited by Buckwild; 07-05-2009 at 09:07 PM. Reason: added link
Old 07-06-2009, 11:27 AM
Buckwild

bump....
Old 07-06-2009, 05:26 PM
Buckwild

Smile

Guys, thanks for the advice....watched that vid I posted and talked to a guy at the auto store....when the compressor cycles off....the pressure goes up.....wait until the compressor goes on and give it a shot of 134.....when the compressor goes off...wait (the pressure gage will go up here)....goes on...give it another shot....do this for a while and then the cycling will become less frequent! You can then give it longer shots....after a while, it's filled and COLD air is blowing!

Thanks again for your help with this issue!

Dan