4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

WTF! Rear end was completely dry!

Old 07-06-2009, 03:04 PM
marcuslee842
3rd Gear Member

Default WTF! Rear end was completely dry!

I just got back from getting my oil changed, and they asked me if I recently changed out my rear end, and I told them no. They said that my rear end was completely dry there wasn't any fluid in there at all! They said that it looks like fluid was shot up under the car like it exploded or something! I'm terrified because I didn't feel a thing and the car had gears since I bought it in 05. Shouldn't it have be squeaking of something? I don't understand what could have happened and even the mechanics were at a loss for words. Has anyone heard of this happening or know what might have caused it. I baby my car, I don't race, I just don't understand what happened and even worse I don't know how long its been that way!
Old 07-06-2009, 03:17 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

go me?! im baffled!
Old 07-06-2009, 04:29 PM
Vectorpat
2nd Gear Member

how do they know it was completely dry without taking the cover off. Did they show you where it shot up under the car.? I question these oil changers alot. there is a local one here that has a sample board that is supposed to be all of the fluids in your car. they showed me my fluids and the power steering fluid had water in it and they wanted to flush the power steering pump. I just looked at the guy and smiled and told him i would take care of it. i got home and looked at it and the fluid looked clear. This was in a work truck i had. I do all of my own work on my mustang.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:37 PM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

Not sure, it could have had a bad gasket and started leaking or you could have had some sort of critical failure and all the oil ran out. Did you ask them to show you so you could see for yourself. Generally, that isn't something you check with an oil change unless like you said, there was some ungodly amount of fluid on the underside of your car which caused them to check, but other than that, you got me.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:17 PM
highpsi04
Banned

If oil was slung up on the bottom of the car that would mean that your pinion seal was done and leaking out of there. Anywhere else and the fluid would have just been on the gas tank. I doubt it was completely dry because you would have made it about 5 miles before it started humming then maybey another 5 miles before the pinion welded itself to the bearing and started to eat the housing and gears.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:18 PM
marcuslee842
3rd Gear Member

I just got back from another place who checked it out for me and they said that my gasket and everything was fine, I got the differential fluid replaced and a new gasket anyway. I don't know what that was all about, I did see the stuff splattered on the underside of my car but the mechanic said I probably ran through it while I was driving. I'm glad everything checked out okay because that scared the **** out of me! lol
Old 07-06-2009, 06:06 PM
livefast1
5th Gear Member

like said before sounds like you have a bad pinion seal.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:05 PM
marcuslee842
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by livefast1
like said before sounds like you have a bad pinion seal.
The mechanic checked everything, and they said that I was okay. I guess the other place was trying to get some money out of me.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:41 PM
Vectorpat
2nd Gear Member

I would take it out on the highway for a few miles then get under the car and look at it to see if there is any fresh oil sprayed around it
Old 07-06-2009, 09:35 PM
marcuslee842
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Vectorpat
I would take it out on the highway for a few miles then get under the car and look at it to see if there is any fresh oil sprayed around it
That's a damn good idea. I'll do that in a couple of hours and let you know what happens. I looked up under the car when I got back and everything looked the same, but the place was only about 6mins away from where I live. I'm gonna test it on the e-way and pray for the best. lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: WTF! Rear end was completely dry!