4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

I broke it....

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 12:52 PM
Horarik
1st Gear Member

Default I broke it.... Back on the road (*Old thread*)

Ok so I screwed up my car.... I was just driving to grocery store to get some stuff for a BBQ when i got lazy while driving and grinded a gear. (cant remember if it was 2nd or 3rd but prob third.) Went in and got my shopping done and On the way home i went thru the gears up into 3rd and everything was fine. I stopped on the side of the road cause a bee flew into my lap and i wanted to get it out before it stung me lol. When i started moving from there I no longer had 3rd gear. I let out clutch and it just revs.....

So i let car cool down in garage and just took it for another spin. If i put it in 3rd from a stop i can get the car moving and its fine. But shifting from 2nd to 3rd there seems to be no 3rd. When i got closer to home the i had lost 3rd and 4th... wtf did i do??

Car is a 2002 with the TR-3650

Last edited by Horarik; 10-01-2009 at 11:37 AM.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:43 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

hard to say, but to find out for sure you will have to pull the trans and open her up. but you might want to pull the shifter and look at that first could be something simple.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:52 PM
Horarik
1st Gear Member

I got this reply from a local board...

"Same exact thing happened to me, Broken shift forks. IT was cheaper to get a new tranny.

Mine eventually went to just 1st gear, Kennedy Transmission went through mine. So if its the same thing there is an idea, mine did the same exact thing but mine is a T45"
I have long tubes so now is the time to do a clutch i Suppose since we'll already be in there. I'm going to have a local guy take a look into it and we'll decide if its cheaper to fix or cheaper to buy a new one....
Old 07-10-2009, 02:19 PM
PaintballFreak
4th Gear Member

Ouch sorry to hear that man. How bad did you grind it? I've released the clutch a little premature a couple times (gotten grind) but I've never done any noticeable damage.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:26 PM
rainydayracing
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PaintballFreak
Ouch sorry to hear that man. How bad did you grind it? I've released the clutch a little premature a couple times (gotten grind) but I've never done any noticeable damage.
Yea, I'm wondering the same thing. I just did a similar thing last week, but haven't noticed any problems.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:32 PM
Horarik
1st Gear Member

Wasn't too bad... I dunno. first time i have ever grinded a gear in this car. I've done WAY WAY worse in my daily driver many times and never had any damage. This musta just been wrong thing and the wrong time....

I did just get this car back from who i sold it too thos like 2-3 weeks ago. So I have only put like 2k of the 62k miles on it. So who knows how much it has been grinded in the past....

Last edited by Horarik; 07-10-2009 at 02:34 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:43 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Originally Posted by Horarik
Wasn't too bad... I dunno. first time i have ever grinded a gear in this car. I've done WAY WAY worse in my daily driver many times and never had any damage. This musta just been wrong thing and the wrong time....

I did just get this car back from who i sold it too thos like 2-3 weeks ago. So I have only put like 2k of the 62k miles on it. So who knows how much it has been grinded in the past....
what???

you bought the car used 2-3 weeks ago and have only put 2/62 on it? the way worded that sounds like you bought it brand new, sold it to a guy, he drove it for 60k miles, then you bought it back from him 2-3 weeks ago...not being a dick or anything, i just dont understand
Old 07-10-2009, 03:07 PM
Horarik
1st Gear Member

Yeah sorry I suck at typing.

I bought it 2 years ago with like 59k on it. Drove it for a year myself and sold it. That person drove it for a year and sold it back to me. It now has like 63k i think.

( i sold it due to a divorce, that's kinda why i wanted it back.)
Old 07-10-2009, 03:10 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Originally Posted by Horarik
Yeah sorry I suck at typing.

I bought it 2 years ago with like 59k on it. Drove it for a year myself and sold it. That person drove it for a year and sold it back to me. It now has like 63k i think.

( i sold it due to a divorce, that's kinda why i wanted it back.)
holy ****...neither of you guys even drive it...bring it here and ill put that many miles on it in a week lol

k im done threadjacking! lol as for trans...ide say just get a new one... look for a used one, they can be had for like $300 around here
Old 07-10-2009, 03:17 PM
Horarik
1st Gear Member

Yup times are rough right now. I got quite a few people local that want to do the work cause they need the money. This will be good. Help out a local guy and get my new clutch i want. :-)

I got my eye on a couple new trannys to just swap in. Now i just gotta wait for another pay day tho.

Yeah i may have put more miles on the car driving it back from Michigan to MN when i bought it that i did in a year lol. Shame on me i know... But i dont like to see it dirty lol.

Quick Reply: I broke it....