4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Need some knowledgable UCA/LCA help

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 01:48 AM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Default Need some knowledgable UCA/LCA help

So basically I got some more wheel hop again and have decided that I've had enough of it and before doing my springs/shocks, I want to order some control arms ASAP. I need some help with picking which ones to get. I've done so much browsing the net that my head is about to explode.

My first question is what is the point of having adjustable LCA's? and UCA's? There also seems to be 2 different kind of adjustable LCA's, the ones that raise/lower the spring height and the ones that extend the whole LCA in length. It's really quite fustrating. For the UCA's, I hear adjustable ones are to adjust pinion angle and instant center!?!?!? why would I need to do that?

I'm looking for something good but affordable. I can't afford the MM ones but I'm trying to figure out some other good brands. I am seeing stuff like UPR, J&M, BBK, Hotchkis, etc etc.

I have decided that I wanna get ones with spherical ends because I do and plan on continuing regular trips to the track launching hard on slicks. I've also read that tubular ones are better than square ones.

I am sorta leaning towards the PA racing ones or the UPR ones since they are the only ones that seem to have spherical ends.

Help!

Brandon
Old 07-16-2009, 07:55 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Email Kevin at baseline, he is very knowledgeable and will help you out.

http://www.baselinesuspensions.com/kits/ford.htm

I have the pro launch kit in a box along with some UPR spherical adjustables, waiting for a free weekend to install. The idea of adjusting pinion angle is to compensate for axle wrap when you launch hard. It basically keeps everything in the drive train in a straight line under hard acceleration. It can also compensate for lowering of the vehicle, to return the proper pinion angle. Weight jackers allow easy adjustment of height for drag slicks etc, but IMO they are worthless. Some people swear by the mega byte arms, due to the fact that they change the geometry of the rear suspension to hook better, but Kevin told me to stay away from them, and I trust his jusdgement. The solid/spherical end lowers that i have from UPR are a good bang for the buck part, and eventually down the road i will have coil overs and a weld in antisway from baseline, so i will switch then to his lowers as well. For now, UPRs will serve me as im not making crazy power. Either way, google the term baseline suspension install, and see how many forums come up with people shaving tenths of their 60' times, bring them into the realm of 1.3xs, just by adding baseline setups. Boy, i should be gettign paid for plugging this stuff, lol.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:29 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Lots of questions here, so let's take one at a time, shall we?

First... the adjustable LCA's/UCA's will just allow you re-align your axle as it will be "off" a bit after lowering. The adjustable UCA's are nice as you can adjust the pinion angle, but not really an issue unless you are really into the 1/4. The LCA's will likely be set at stock length, but won't hurt you to have the option to adjust. This is also more likely to be used by a 1/4 mile guy with large diameter tires, as it can be used to avoid rubbing.

The adjustable spring perch is a bit of a tuning device for raising/lowering your ride and can be used for a couple different reasons. If you want to be a very specific ride hight, or maybe large tires and want to lift just enough to avoid rubbing. This is also helpful if one goes to the track with a second set of larger DR's. You can raise car back up and help with clearance. Seems to me it may help with weight transfer, but am NOT a 1/4 mile guy, so am speculating a bit. I also have a theory that the adjustable spring perch LCA's:

Will give one a better angle for the LCA and limit rear-end squat upon launch. Again, this is a theory I have and would be cool if a 1/4 mile guy or girl would confirm/deny this idea I have.

I am NOT a fan of most aftermarket LCA's, as they usually have a poly/poly bushing and are WORSE than stock, in some ways, for the twisties. They will be just fine for 1/4 mile use, but limit articulation of axle and hinder good suspension action on corners. I like the following arms for DD and 1/4 use:

Now, you need to know a couple things about these arms. They are Griggs and the best I can possibly recommend for DD or track use. These particular ones have NO SPRING PERCH so would not work unless you go coil-overs out back. They are available with spring perch (part #MCA 4500 S-99 but has INCORRECT picture on this page, so ignore it!). They will also generate additional NVH (Noise Vibration Harshness) over the stock ones, but not a whole lot over the poly/poly ones. ANY aftermarket arm will generate some of this noise, so why not accept a little more and get a MUCH better arm?

The Griggs arm above is identical to what I run on my ride, as I have CO's. They are square, but certainly no disadvantage over the round ones. I actually no longer use the sway bar mount as I run a MMRSB-4 bar and like it soo far.

Jazzer

EDIT: Devon types too fast

Last edited by Jazzer The Cat; 07-16-2009 at 08:34 AM.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:59 AM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Not to thread-jack but while were on the topic of street V.S. strip setups. Whats more ideal for a very twistie oriented DD street car that also needs a little suspension rigidy due to the power of a blower?
Old 07-16-2009, 10:46 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

^ the Griggs MCA 4500 S-99 would be ideal for all of above

Jazzer
Old 07-16-2009, 01:33 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
^ the Griggs MCA 4500 S-99 would be ideal for all of above

Jazzer
Wow, they're not giving those away are they. Some in the near future I need to upgrade mine as well. I'm currently using a set of GMS upper/lower control arms. And I'm looking to do some upgrading here.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:42 PM
grogan
3rd Gear Member

i think ive found a set of lca's i like..im still running the stock setup in the rear.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:16 PM
marcuslee842
3rd Gear Member

Not to thread jack but.....Jazzer you used to swear by upr adj lca's/Uca's now u don't mention them at all. I picked out all of my suspension based on your advice (upr) and now I'm nervous because you pick different brands now. Is there a reason why u don't suggest upr anymore?
Old 07-16-2009, 08:00 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

^ You are correct, I don't recommend as much as I used to, but don't be nervous

I like UPR, just heard of some pepes having problems with their stuff on HEAVY 1/4 mile use. Until reciently, was unaware that Griggs made a poly/spherical LCA for a stock spring location, so recommend what I run on my own ride (I run CO's all around, so I have the above LCA's).

All too often pepes end up going to the track at some point and eventually run a set of DR's out back. Griggs stuff is much more expensive than UPR, but also more heavy duty, as it is designed for race cars. I think it would take LOTS of abuse to damage any aftermarket LCA/UCA, but one only hears the negative stories about a product. I am sure there are Griggs LCA's that have failed, but have never heard of one. With that said, I did brake a Griggs front sway bar due to a defect in weld. Sometimes, sheet happens.
If I had not gone full Griggs GR-40 on my ride, I'd have gone UPR

Jazzer
Old 07-16-2009, 09:58 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Hmm well I don't plan on running coilovers so I guess baseline is out...

I'm looking into getting the PA Racing ones...Griggs is kinda expensive

Quick Reply: Need some knowledgable UCA/LCA help