MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   SLP loudmouth question (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/551847-slp-loudmouth-question.html)

stlcardsfanp 07-21-2009 12:31 PM

SLP loudmouth question

I've posted on this a little bit before, but does anyone know of how I could put in slp loudmouths on my stock exhaust? I'm wanting to do the job myself by using clamps, either getting those preferably, or super 44s. If anyone has sound clips of either with stock exhaust other than the mufflers, that'd be helpful to.

apeterman 07-21-2009 12:39 PM

Check YouTube man. Hundreds of exhaust videos on there. Just try searching mustang exhaust or something to that effect.

Mr99cobra 07-21-2009 12:47 PM

I've got o/r x pipe with super 44's. I love it. Really loud and turns heads. Not that bad on the highway with the windows up. I'm a flowmaster guy. I like their sounds.

stlcardsfanp 07-21-2009 12:51 PM

See, I'm not going to get an o/r h or x pipe for a while though, so I'm wondering if the super 44s will be loud enough as I want with the stock pipe. I know the slps are loud just by themselves. But it's extremely hard to find stock exhaust with just super 44s, and no aftermarket o/r pipe or headers or something.

mvr 07-21-2009 12:59 PM

why not buy a whole aftermarket catback?

stlcardsfanp 07-21-2009 01:05 PM

I'd rather not spend $200-$300 extra for some new pipe and slightly diff sound.

devongarver 07-21-2009 01:06 PM

slp LM1s can be had for about 150$ for the 2 "mufflers", but then you still need tips, your best bet is just to get a cat back system from them. You dont need to change the stock H to do that.

stlcardsfanp 07-21-2009 01:16 PM

So let's just suppose I bought the SLPs. What would I have to do to make them work with stock exhaust, assuming I do it myself, and don't have a muffler shop bend pipe or what have you.

stlcardsfanp 07-21-2009 01:16 PM

also, you have a sick sounding car!

devongarver 07-21-2009 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by stlcardsfanp (Post 6362973)
So let's just suppose I bought the SLPs. What would I have to do to make them work with stock exhaust, assuming I do it myself, and don't have a muffler shop bend pipe or what have you.

If you buy just the SLP mufflers, and the tips, you would have to have interconnecting pipe between them, so you would need a shop. Also, I think the inlet diameter is different on the muffler than the stock piping, so you would need a shop. Your best bet is like i said, just buy a cat back system-it bolts right up, just need a ratchet, floor jack, jack stands, and a little patience. Its the right way to go, you can always upgrade the midpipe late from stock and still use the same catback. If SLP systems are too rich for your blood, other companies such as PYPES Violators, or SSS Terminators will sound similar, but Im not sure of pricing.

Originally Posted by stlcardsfanp (Post 6362976)
also, you have a sick sounding car!

Do I still have a link on you tube>? How else do you know how it sounds lol

Thanks though!

stlcardsfanp 07-21-2009 01:29 PM

yeah, the link was still up there, haha

devongarver 07-21-2009 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by stlcardsfanp (Post 6363012)
yeah, the link was still up there, haha

Damn, i dont even have the link in my profile anymore, did you just happen to come across it while searching SLP ?

zero2005 07-21-2009 03:58 PM

you could probably have the shop weld in the mufflers for under 100$. problem is i dont know how the stock exhaust mufflers are located i think they're offset not center? where as the SLP's are straight through. for a no hassle easy bolt up if you dont wanna pay someone to do it, then go for the catback.

getting just the mufflers i think will be a hassle.

ChalknCover 07-21-2009 04:36 PM

The SLP's are 2.5" diameter where your stock pipe is 2.25". Also, they are really designed to be clamped not welded, though you can do it. The way they work their system, you can swap out the 1's for the 2's for the powerflo's without changing anything else. It is a modular system. I just did mine, in fact, if you are interested, I will sell you my LM1 resonators, just shoot me a PM. I switched to the 2's because the 1's are just ungodly loud with a o/r h pipe. But as a catback, those 1's were the best sounding to me. And I do love my current setup, would recommend it to anyone looking. To get the resonators to work with stock you would need a muffler shop to fab you something up.

Shot of my catback:
http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/q...T/100_2364.jpg

DreamerGT 07-21-2009 04:37 PM

save up and get the full catback, you'll be happier.

ArchAngel416 07-21-2009 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by SilverNGrey4.6s (Post 6363462)
save up and get the full catback, you'll be happier.

agreed, a real slp cat bak sounds better than a spliced in half assed attempt. i know a guy who did that, holy god it sounds like GARBAGE! i wanna just blow the dam thing up, before the exhaust does it! do it rite dont half ass it. dont ever half ass your car!

thejollypostman 07-21-2009 08:12 PM

+1 just get the full catback its only like $400 and its all bolt on really easy to install as long as you can jack up the rear of your car

stlcardsfanp 07-21-2009 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by thejollypostman (Post 6364022)
+1 just get the full catback its only like $400 and its all bolt on really easy to install as long as you can jack up the rear of your car

It's almost $600. Call me cheap if you want, but there's no way i'm spending that much on some new pipe at this time...

stlcardsfanp 07-21-2009 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by devongarver (Post 6363023)
Damn, i dont even have the link in my profile anymore, did you just happen to come across it while searching SLP ?

it was just under your pic, when i saw your first post earlier

Ford93Bronco 07-21-2009 11:38 PM

I test drove a stock GT with flowmaster weld in with the sock exhaust. It had some sound but was not loud what so ever. Slp is one of the loudest which is what I have. I love the sound when you give it some gas but when your just driving normal in 5th gear is sounds like ass. And go with a cat back you wont be sorry you did.

Drag5.0mustang 07-21-2009 11:55 PM

i really dont think you can just clamp in slps becuase right at the end of the muffler the pipe curves up over the axle and theres nothing to clamp on to.

Chubstang 07-22-2009 12:04 AM

Have fun trying to get the LM1's into your stock catback without a welder/tubing bender.

devongarver 07-22-2009 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by stlcardsfanp (Post 6364366)
it was just under your pic, when i saw your first post earlier

Oh, well crud. I'm on my work computer, and you tube is blocked, so maybe the link just doesnt show up. I dont have my home computer set up yet since I moved, so I guess I don't even remember what I originally had on here. Well either way I'm glad you like it! Thanks!

Sxynerd 07-22-2009 09:20 AM

LM1's sound AWESOME with cats but hollow and tinny without. LM2's sound better catless but still, there's no "Tonal resonance" just "WAAAAh Noise" with no decipherable tone although it does sound lower.

Flowmasters DRONE... Right now I'm running F40s without the rear piping or even turndowns. There is NO cell phone calls in my car, lol. But it's fruggin loud and Deep. I set of my neighbors alarm on the next block over every time I start my car in the driveway. I will be going to magnapacks, I think. lol.

reznap 07-22-2009 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by sxynerd (Post 6365054)
LM1's sound AWESOME with cats but hollow and tinny without. LM2's sound better catless but still, there's no "Tonal resonance" just "WAAAAh Noise" with no decipherable tone although it does sound lower.

Flowmasters DRONE... Right now I'm running F40s without the rear piping or even turndowns. There is NO cell phone calls in my car, lol. But it's fruggin loud and Deep. I set of my neighbors alarm on the next block over every time I start my car in the driveway. I will be going to magnapacks, I think. lol.

To be fair, (judging by your sig thing's picture) your motor isn't exactly stock... at all, lol.

Sxynerd 07-22-2009 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by reznap (Post 6365784)
To be fair, (judging by your sig thing's picture) your motor isn't exactly stock... at all, lol.

True that, lol

ChalknCover 07-22-2009 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by reznap (Post 6365784)

I get a chub everytime I look at that thing lol

You got a list of mods on that thing? Not to get totally off topic here.

Sxynerd 07-22-2009 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by BlueBloodedPony (Post 6365803)
I get a chub everytime I look at that thing lol

You got a list of mods on that thing? Not to get totally off topic here.

CMS Stage2.5 BLOWER CAMS
Stage 2 heads
Mac longtubes
H pipe
Edel Intake
Custom wiring harness
C&L Plenum
75mm TB
Kurgan Power pipe
dual 255's
Flows
S trim at 16lbs
Now dyno's yet since I'm tuning it myself i'm going slow. It should be in the 550-580rw range.

...the basics.