4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Staggerd no understeer?

Old 07-30-2009, 09:31 AM
RipTide7
3rd Gear Member

Haha i revised my question just as you posted that i guess
Old 07-30-2009, 10:34 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I am not getting why you want eiter a 255/315 in a 17" wheel OR a 265/285 in an 18" wheel, is this a package deal thing?

Understeer can be addressed via suspension, just a bit more to overcome with a 255/315 combo. I run a 295/315 combo and had TONS of understeer at AX events due to excessive grip on rear because of my PHB/TA combo & REALLY soft springs out back. I guess I had soo much understeer due to fantastic grip on rear MORE than poor grip up front.

I think you should get whatever you like, whether it be cost or availabity and just deal with the results. If this were STRICTLY an AX/track ride, I would approach it differently, but this is a DD and need to look cool when out on the town with your best girl

Jazzer
Old 07-30-2009, 10:57 AM
RipTide7
3rd Gear Member

Haha okay thanks. I cant stand the tucked in look so i only want to go with 10 or 10.5 in the rear, and those to prices were the best deals i could find for 17inch wheels and 18 inch wheels. Think im going to just go with the 17 inch wheels and pass on the nto5s, for now. Thanks for all your input. Im still a while away from allowing myself to spend this much but i like have a build plan. Ill build around the 255/315 set up.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:51 PM
Novanutcase
3rd Gear Member

I'm gonna jump in hear and give my .02!

Pretty much everything said up until now is gospel so take it as such(Except Metalmatt! LOL)

Run your car stock for a few times and get a feel for how it performs(or doesn't!). Take note to the things that you DON'T like about the way the car handles and address those. Some people like a car that understeers and some like a car with more oversteer. It really depends on your driving style and what you are trying to achieve.

Just remember that almost all F1 drivers started out on shifters!!! Learn to drive your car in it's stock form up to it's limits and then start improving it.

Take your time, enjoy it and you will have much more fun and really learn the ins and outs of your car.

John
Old 07-31-2009, 01:04 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Novanutcase
I'm gonna jump in hear and give my .02!

Pretty much everything said up until now is gospel so take it as such(Except Metalmatt! LOL)

Run your car stock for a few times and get a feel for how it performs(or doesn't!). Take note to the things that you DON'T like about the way the car handles and address those. Some people like a car that understeers and some like a car with more oversteer. It really depends on your driving style and what you are trying to achieve.

Just remember that almost all F1 drivers started out on shifters!!! Learn to drive your car in it's stock form up to it's limits and then start improving it.

Take your time, enjoy it and you will have much more fun and really learn the ins and outs of your car.

John
How the hell have you been? I see you decided to keep your car=P.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:02 AM
RipTide7
3rd Gear Member

Thanks guys, I know mostly every ones advice in this thread is solid advice and are talking from experience. I would love to take it for a stock base run, but my front tires are very bad and need to be replaced before i do autocross, and i don't want to buy replacement tires when new wheels and tires are next on my list. Maybe ill just have to find and area to do some testing of my own then and see what direction i want to take. If i feel like i have too much under steer ill save for the 18s, if i feel like i could use more traction in the rear ill go 17s
Old 07-31-2009, 08:46 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Go out to a HUGE empty parking lot and toss your car around. See how she responds to aggressive input. Play with tire pressures a bit as they will need to be a touch higher than you may be used to. Keep in mind, that AX does not afford you the opportunity, due to rules, to warm up your tires/brakes. Your car will also respond differenly depending on suspension upgrades over time. This is why I say get whatever wheels/tires you really want to run REGUARDLESS of your desire for AX. You will constantly be "adjusting" your driving due to changes in suspension mods over time.

Build the car you always wanted... THEN drive it at AX events.

Jazzer
Old 07-31-2009, 09:15 AM
RipTide7
3rd Gear Member

Awesome, all of this sounds good to me. I know of a few giant parking lot around me (new jersey), just have to find some where i wont get into any trouble with the 5.0.

Last edited by RipTide7; 07-31-2009 at 09:19 AM.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:39 PM
avlon06
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
I am not getting why you want eiter a 255/315 in a 17" wheel OR a 265/285 in an 18" wheel, is this a package deal thing?

Understeer can be addressed via suspension, just a bit more to overcome with a 255/315 combo. I run a 295/315 combo and had TONS of understeer at AX events due to excessive grip on rear because of my PHB/TA combo & REALLY soft springs out back. I guess I had soo much understeer due to fantastic grip on rear MORE than poor grip up front.

I think you should get whatever you like, whether it be cost or availabity and just deal with the results. If this were STRICTLY an AX/track ride, I would approach it differently, but this is a DD and need to look cool when out on the town with your best girl

Jazzer
Why did you have so much understeer? i thought you had a short-long arm front suspension, i would think youd have tons of grip up front as well. Maybe im just a rehtard