4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Welding torque boxes

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 05:34 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Default Welding torque boxes

I was wondering how important doing this is? My current mods are in my sig and at the track I have some prostars at the track with ET streets (bias-ply's). I made an order for some Maximum Motorsports control arms at a shop after being convinced to get the heavy-duty ones instead of the extreme-duty. I was told the only difference between them was the bushing on the chassis side where the HD ones are poly and the XD ones are spherical. The guy at the shop told me unless I am pushing tons of HD and it's a dedicated track car, then I shold go with the HD ones intead. I trusted his judgement as the guy has been in the scene for a while but now i'm not so sure.

Anyway, I also asked him about welding the torque boxes as I heard is a very important thing to do especailly once I get some LCA's. He asked me if I had the kit and I said no and that I didn't want to pull my interior out anyway. To my understanding I can just make reinforcement welds on the torque boxes under the car. He said just welding the boxes isn't that necessary and the welding would potentially make it weaker.

I'm looking for a 2nd opinion so I was wondering if you guys had any insight

Thanks,
Brandon
Old 07-24-2009, 07:01 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Originally Posted by StriderTacticaL
I was wondering how important doing this is? My current mods are in my sig and at the track I have some prostars at the track with ET streets (bias-ply's). I made an order for some Maximum Motorsports control arms at a shop after being convinced to get the heavy-duty ones instead of the extreme-duty. I was told the only difference between them was the bushing on the chassis side where the HD ones are poly and the XD ones are spherical. The guy at the shop told me unless I am pushing tons of HD and it's a dedicated track car, then I shold go with the HD ones intead. I trusted his judgement as the guy has been in the scene for a while but now i'm not so sure.

Anyway, I also asked him about welding the torque boxes as I heard is a very important thing to do especailly once I get some LCA's. He asked me if I had the kit and I said no and that I didn't want to pull my interior out anyway. To my understanding I can just make reinforcement welds on the torque boxes under the car. He said just welding the boxes isn't that necessary and the welding would potentially make it weaker.

Thanks,
Brandon
THIS is correct, but there are other advantages to having a spherical end on your LCA's. The fundamental issue with the Mustang 4-link rear end is the binding that occurs during articulation of the rear axle. An LCA that is solid and poly/poly ended will be WORSE in some ways than your stock ones for a DD ride. It will be stronger and less flexable, so an improvement for the 1/4 mile. It will, however, be a detriment to the twisties as the poly/poly bushings combined with a more solid arm than stock, will "fight" articulation and create more bind than stock ones.

I recommend you go poly/spherical and will be an improvement in BOTH the 1/4 mile and the twisties (I keep wanting to write **** so someone please contact Freud as I think I am boobing my mind)

As for torque box welding, If you plan on lots of launching, reguardless of your HP/T ratings, I think this is a good idea and can only help to prolong the life of your ride. I am sure some 1/4 mile guys will chime in with some thoughts on this.

Jazzer... thinkin' 'bout (.)(.)'s
Old 07-25-2009, 03:52 AM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Ok thanks. Well long story short I called MM and got another opinion from the horses mouth and I basically called the shop and arranged for an exchange of the HD ones for XD ones.

P.S. I think Jazzer is high lol
Old 07-25-2009, 07:19 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Old 07-25-2009, 11:21 AM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Originally Posted by StriderTacticaL

Thanks,
Brandon
Unless you are running big power (150+ shot or 600+rwhp) no need to have the torque boxes welded and it's a pricey job. I just had all my seams spot welded at the weak spots