4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Manual Trans Temp gauge

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 09:46 PM
MyGt03
2nd Gear Member

Default Manual Trans Temp gauge

Hello everybody, got room for one more rookie/newbie?

Just bought my first ever Mustang GT "03" and it happens to be the nicest car I have ever owned. 40k miles, CarFax 1 owner, and obviously garaged kept. Bone stock. 5 Speed. Just ordered Pypes stainless O/R X-pipe, Splice in MIL eliminators, Borla Stinger Catback, and a BBK cold air intake kit. Oh I can't wait.

Wondering if I could get a question answered. Buying an A-pillar triple gauge set with three gauges. Im planning on keeping engine stock for the most part. The gauges I was wanting to get is Engine Oil Temp, Vacuum, and Trans Oil Temp.

My question is: can that trans temp gauge be connected to my manual trans gearbox? Gauge comes with 1/8 NPT Sender. Wanting to get set ordered, just need to know if it will even work.

Any info is GREATLY appreciated. Have feeling this could be first question of many to come. Will always search threads first. Please bare with me.

Thanks a million to each and all who post a reply. Would upload a few pics of new car if I knew how.

Sincerely,
Errol (MyGt03)
Old 07-26-2009, 09:55 PM
mustangman03
3rd Gear Member

welcome to the forums first off i wouldnt get a trans temp gauge if it was an auto i could see it then also dont get a boost gauge (vacuum). u can keep the oil temp, and get oil pressure the stock gauge doesnt read actual pressure and then you could get a coolant temp gauge but the vacuum and the trans wouldnt waste my money except for the vacuum gauge if it has a supercharger on it of some kind thats the only way
Old 07-26-2009, 10:14 PM
MyGt03
2nd Gear Member

Hey, thanks MustangMan.

They make two different vacuum gauges. One is boost and vacuum, and other is just vacuum. Or just all boost. Im certain I will never be installing turbos, Pro/Super Charger on my car. Not looking to make into a race car. I just want it to sound/look like one.

As for which gauges, I wanted to keep the stock gauges (oil press, water temp, alt charge) and not get anything I already have on dashboard. However, what gauge choices does that leave me with. Really want oil/trans temp gauges and the vacuum gauge would be mainly to give me a gauge needle that moves all around when stomping on and off the gas pedal. Sort of eye candy so to speak.

Although I appreciate your reply, you still didn't answer my question. Can that 1/8" NPT sending unit be connected to my manual gearbox?

Thanks again for any info.

Sincerely,
Errol (MyGt03)

Oh, and sweet ride you got there...
Old 07-27-2009, 06:36 PM
mustangman03
3rd Gear Member

I honestly dont know, but i dont think it can theres not that many holes in a manual trans.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:03 PM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MyGt03
Hey, thanks MustangMan.

They make two different vacuum gauges. One is boost and vacuum, and other is just vacuum. Or just all boost. Im certain I will never be installing turbos, Pro/Super Charger on my car. Not looking to make into a race car. I just want it to sound/look like one.

As for which gauges, I wanted to keep the stock gauges (oil press, water temp, alt charge) and not get anything I already have on dashboard. However, what gauge choices does that leave me with. Really want oil/trans temp gauges and the vacuum gauge would be mainly to give me a gauge needle that moves all around when stomping on and off the gas pedal. Sort of eye candy so to speak.

Although I appreciate your reply, you still didn't answer my question. Can that 1/8" NPT sending unit be connected to my manual gearbox?

Thanks again for any info.

Sincerely,
Errol (MyGt03)

Oh, and sweet ride you got there...
If thats what your looking for then look into some narrow bands air/fuel ratio gauges.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:11 PM
gunpig0313
3rd Gear Member

Dude I have a water temp on mine cause i hate the stock ones, but as stated before you don't need vacuum or trans temp there worthless. If your going for the ricer look its cool but your car is a muscle car not a Jap rocket.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:57 PM
grogan
3rd Gear Member

im running vacuum/boost, wideband a/f ratio, fuel pressure, trans temp, and water pressure. ( still deciding whether to switch water to a nitrous gauge for future)
Old 07-27-2009, 09:31 PM
MyGt03
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by gunpig0313
Dude I have a water temp on mine cause i hate the stock ones, but as stated before you don't need vacuum or trans temp there worthless. If your going for the ricer look its cool but your car is a muscle car not a Jap rocket.

No way, No how! I despise ricers. Im 36 years old, and a true classic fan. As a union proud man, I would NEVER buy a "Jap rocket"...lol Besides exhaust, only other thing I plan on doing to the interior is a Hurst Classic White shifter ****, (should be here any day now). Maybe a Steeda short throw. I just kinda like the look of gauges being up on the A-pillar.

When getting water temp gauge, does the stock one still function, or just ride on cold?

Thanks for the reply.

Last edited by MyGt03; 07-27-2009 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Forgot question...
Old 07-27-2009, 09:38 PM
MyGt03
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SilverNGrey4.6s
If thats what your looking for then look into some narrow bands air/fuel ratio gauges.
Thanks, will definitely look into that.

What about Exhaust Gas Temp? Is that mainly a diesel thing?
Old 07-27-2009, 09:38 PM
a_penquin
4th Gear Member

I like knowing more on the actual vitals than "normal" hence why my volt, temp and oil press is in the pillar. (plus the temp gauge gave out in the dash) Idk maybe its just me, but everything else is just about worthless unless you running high power numbers or adders.