4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

car wont go into gear

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 11:55 PM
disturbdgt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
How much freeplay is in "teh"¹ pedal, if you are seeing motion in the lever then it would appear the cable is not broken and perhaps the cable adjustment is far too loose (OEM quadrant/pawl stripped?).

Also, what "fluid" would you suspect might be low--this is a cable operated clutch?

---------------------------------
¹ - Keeping in mind that I am old, what is this teh thing? Is it considered "cool" or something, it's still 3 keystrokes so why not spell it correctly?
I was thinking that maybe the tranny fluid might be low, but not sure. I really think something is wrong, so I am gonna try to find a car trailer to tow it back to the shop and get em to fix it.

As far as "teh" maybe I should learn to use spell check more frequently, my apologies.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:00 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

lol dont use a dolly again...haha. Sorry, but really, When you push the clutch pedal down, the the clutch actually disengage? Just have someone push the pedal while you are under the car and see. If it does, its obviously not your clutch thats the issue. Another way, have someone put the car in gear, while its off, and try pushing the car while thye hold the clutch in. Should tell you if the clutch is or isnt disengaging.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:18 PM
disturbdgt
2nd Gear Member

ok just noticed when i turn the car on. there is like a chirping noise coming from the tranny and the clutch fork is bouncing up and down. everything is stock from the clutch to the cable and quadrant. I still cant get this thing to go into gear, does anyone have any ideas?
Old 08-05-2009, 12:57 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

did you test to see if it disengages yet?
Old 08-05-2009, 01:10 PM
disturbdgt
2nd Gear Member

well i haven't cause i havent had someone else to help me out yet with the process.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:15 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

bummer,...can you use a 2x4 or something to wedge the clutch pedal down and then get outside and push ?
Old 08-05-2009, 01:18 PM
disturbdgt
2nd Gear Member

ok ill try to do that. and when i begin to push the car should move right. and what if if it doesnt move?
Old 08-05-2009, 01:21 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Yes, you DID say you were able to put the car into gear when it was not running correct? If so, with the vehicle turned off, put car in gear, the wedge board on clutch pedal, then get out and push, but please do so on flat area where car wont roll away lol. If it does not move, then your clutch is not disengaging properly, which is why you can't get it into gear with the motor on.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:29 PM
disturbdgt
2nd Gear Member

yes it wont go into gear with the car on. but will with the car off. but if i leave it in gear and then turn the car on it will just stall out. i am gonna go try to see if i cant go push this thing now
Old 08-05-2009, 01:33 PM
disturbdgt
2nd Gear Member

ok so i just got my brother to help me, with it in 1st gear and the clutch pressed in the car will not move at all. so this means that my clutch is not disengaging right?

Quick Reply: car wont go into gear