4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Rebuild specs

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 02:26 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

IM not sure on the crank, that might be ok. I will let one of the guys thats making this type of power currently fill you in on the rest, as they would have better knowledge than I, and I dont want to steer you in the wrong direction.

edit: might try pm-ing sexynerd, or even trolling the svt forum and look for members with similar numbers to what you want to get to, and ask them>
Old 07-29-2009, 03:10 PM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

alright, well in any case, all good info, just trying to increase my knowledge before this build, and you've definitly done that.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:14 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Well lets see here, no way are u touching 500 lol you're gonna have trouble reaching 400whp without going the FR-500/cobra R intake which are incredibly expensive.

Really depends what kind of power you're looking for, Your stock B heads and intake actually flow pretty good for forced induction. If you're looking for the "best" you're probably looking at 03 cobra heads .w a port and a valve job, thats expensive though and it all comes down to how much power you wanna make.

You could buy a Vortec S-trim or Procharger P1 for pretty cheap used and make good power. If you are going to rebuild and plan on F/I you would be a fool not to go forged. 42lbs might be enough as long as u don't plan on going huge power, im going 60# myself, i already have a 255 pump which is coming out as it won't support what im going for, you might wanna try the SVT focus pump with a B.A.P (boost a pump). Honestly if you left the H/C/I Stock in a 4v and just turned up the b oost you could probably see 500whp. Granted if you did have ported H/I you could make more power under less boost but porting is expensive.

so really tell me what you're trying to make and i'll try to give you some insight as to what you're looking at.

Don't forget about the limits of your stock transmission, and if you plan on launching hard, your rear end.

oh btw, the stock crank is fine till like infinity hp lol.

Last edited by SVTeeshirt; 07-29-2009 at 04:19 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:57 PM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

alright now that i'm not doing that hahaha, supercharger it is. pretty much gunna buy everything, let it build up in a corner and shove it all in, in one shot. first thing first, rebuild kit.. forged dished since im boosting manly brand i assume, same with rods, gunna have just a bit less than infinity hp so crank stays the same.. still rebalance? which cams would you recommend with this build if we are doing s/t-trim? could port and polish head.. intake two you say? keep the stock?
Old 07-29-2009, 04:59 PM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

what i'm trying to do is have a MEAN street machine. 500/600hp i'd say is a nice goal. just something people will pull up to, look over, and then start crying. start with motor parts... then move to trans i guess, dont know to much about either.. even less about trans and rear.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:20 PM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

also not lookin to tub it out and put skinnies on the front or anything like that. just get as much as i can with a so call (normal) cobra haha. to the eye anyway. maybe if i have the room do real wide 18's in the future, but.. bout it. no remove back seat. just... like it is now, expept rought 300more hp. or twice as much. if i fall a bit short. 500 is ok too.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:07 AM
toolegit86
1st Gear Member

turbo it!!!

build bottom end and get valve train and cams I like 9500 rpm
build rear end a must!! and prepare for 6 speed swap the 5speed is not going to last

my .02
build bottom end h-beams and flat tops use a mls head gasket and arp studs
mild port and match take out the runners in the stock cobra intake and match all intake gaskets
run a vortech or procharger for $$$ reasons or if you can go wipple or kennebelle
dont waste your time on in take fuel pumps go aeromotive and rear sump belive me its way better
50 pound injectors and find a shop that tunes awsome

now if you can get a fmic and use nos as a intake cooler or intercooler cooler. and run water meth on the side

ive seen a lot of cobras over 500whp and its very common around where i live it all depends on how crazy your tuner is and how much money you want to throw at it

Last edited by toolegit86; 07-30-2009 at 12:21 AM.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:34 AM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

its my .02 that you do not need a turbo to reach your goals, i myself went T trim, i plan on ~20lbs of boost and i should be right around your goals right now, im building 03 cobra heads on the side (ported + valve job + cams) to be on the upside of 650 - 700whp after i get the car running. You could get a slight port and it'd be easier to reach your goals, ports for 4vs are quite expensive. If i go cams im going CMS Blower cams, i think they just released the 2.5 for the 4v im not too sure though, im not sure if they are even necessary to reach your goals thats another $1500 you could save (valvesprings included), but it would make it easier. Just make sure you know what you're undertaking before you do it, its taken me alot longer than i had planned but if your job is stable enough i say go for it and churn out another wickid 4v.

really i would stick with ur H/C/I for now and see how much power you make, if you want more port ur current **** or buy 03/04 H/(blowercams)/I.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:54 AM
toolegit86
1st Gear Member

i just said turbo because of the coolness and no one does it. yea the best route is to go the road most traveled. Syntrifical blower keep it easy and symple.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:40 AM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

well initially turbo was the idea, but the more i looked into it, the more work seemed endless, and the price just kept going up. S/C seems a bit more in my league. I too think i'm going to try to get a T-trim, figure out the port for heads and intake, and you recommend CMS blower cams. With those cams, would you get anymore of a rough idle, or just a slight, the blower is doing all the work kinda thing? i Believe this is the set up i'm going to be shooting for. As far as piston as rods....recommend manly's? besides pistons, rods, crank is good... anything else i need to be sure i don't pop the top on this bad boy?

Quick Reply: Rebuild specs