4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

(2) DTC Codes, PCM Fuse Blown, Help Needed (03 gt) 50k mi

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 07:08 PM
dvs_03gt
4th Gear Member

Default (2) DTC Codes, PCM Fuse Blown, Help Needed (03 gt) 50k mi

Aye fellas, most of you know I have been battling with this problem for the last month or so.

First all started, was in traffic on acceleration, car hit a bad bog and I caught the loss by throwing the tranny into N. Idled out and acceled slowly back into traffic.

Later in the day, came off a red light, same thing with the accelerate + bog down, this time I stalled. PCM fuse blown giving me the symptom of -------- and a crank but no start with a continuous THEFT light flashing. Ford tried to say its the PATs, I changed my fuses (mega 30 green) and everything was fine.

Now weeks later after multiple driving tests, same bog symptom this time I even heard a backfire every now and then. Now I have 2 DTC codes coming up;

1) P0172 - System too rich ( how is this, how do i fix this? )
2) P0455 - Evap Emission Control System Leak Detected (gross leak) (what about this??)

where should I start???

Along with this now I am also hearing a slight tap sound from the block, it sounds like its a pin said the Ford tech, wtf is going on with this car, i barely drive it. When I do I barely get on her.

Shes mostly stock all mods listed. I mean I just installed a brand new jlt and thats it.. Same Superchips tune on 91 fuel and all..

HELP NEEDED.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:12 PM
dvs_03gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dvs_03gt

Shes mostly stock all mods listed. I mean I just installed a brand new jlt and thats it.. Same Superchips tune on 91 fuel and all..

HELP NEEDED.
oh btw i took off the entire accufab setup and put all the stockers back on same problem. Next is the tune gone and the jlt back to the stock airbox. I am confused. and Really not trying to pay 120~ bones to ford for a diag test for some bs input i already am finding out..
Old 07-28-2009, 08:21 PM
gunpig0313
3rd Gear Member

Your PATS is going bad/ is bad if the light is always flashing when the car is running. Also look around for crispy wires. I got the same codes about a year ago and my o2 sensor wire on the driver side was burnt in two places from the cats. It also blew a couple fuses

Last edited by gunpig0313; 07-28-2009 at 09:16 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:05 PM
mustangman03
3rd Gear Member

take ur superchips tuner off and run it with out it then make sure your gas cap is on tight for the evap leak but first i would try running the dog crap out of it to see if that helps but deffenately take off the superchips i have seen a few programmers fry pcms but try running w/ out it first
Old 08-05-2009, 05:48 PM
dvs_03gt
4th Gear Member

More input would be appreciated to help me understand whats actually techincally going on.

I can see my o2 sensors hanging? by the cats.. idk why maybe when i had the exhaust shop check that tap to see if the cat heatcover was loose again. Anyways im going under for pics and to see if they got burned up or something.

Secondly, I am going to remove the superchip, I need to remove my fuel pump fuse first, I have the diagram here, can someone confirm that I am taking the right fuse out. Send me another diagram to make sure this is the right one, etc.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:48 PM
dvs_03gt
4th Gear Member

Ford told me the PATs is fine.. so unless they dont want to fix it they are telling the truth.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:31 PM
StockD15b
4th Gear Member

whats a PAT? Im getting the same Evap code. let me kno what u did to fix this, im gonna buy a new gas cap tomorrow tho. good luck bud.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:08 PM
dvs_03gt
4th Gear Member

Have not been home for two weeks. Be back this week finally.. cannot wait to work on this girl again..

Anyways cmon guys i have over 1500 posts and been here on MF for a while can noone really help???

HELP if you see this and know.

Anyways looks up PATS man, cmon dont jump the post like that. Quickly its the Passive Anti Theft System of something like that, that works with a sensor and your pcm to make sure the keys married to the car are legit. Its silly in ways.. especially when they burn up.

This prob with the fuel cap code 0455 mentioned above has come and gone for the last two months. I am about to just replace the fuel cap with a newer better one since my oringal one was stolen and I had to replace it with some average one I found at autozone. If that doesnt fix it, what else could the problem be? Logically what would it be?

A cracked fuel tank? Fuel rail? or fuel pressure sensor??

next for the code on system to rich 0172 why? what does this mean?

burned up 02 sensor? Bad cat on my xpipe?

and lastly when i test the vehicle 2 of maybe 8 times on the WOT and bog down, had the PCM fuse blown? im so confused? bout to sell this car and get a vette if i cannot get these simple problems fixed. and i wanted to boost her with the p51 and the vortech. pshh im having too many second thoughts. shows what i got so far paying off a $17k vehicle with 55k miles. heh
Old 08-17-2009, 03:12 PM
dvs_03gt
4th Gear Member

more details if anyone can help.

i just did the oil same as always synthetic, i did the fuel inj cleaner by lucas

fuel filter was done about a year ago? maybe a little longer

barely drive the car.

just swapped on my new painted jlt, maybe the maf is bad? should i switch to another and see?

THE CAR revs fine on neutrual, i can rev her out whatever.

on gear she bogs when i WOT usually. if i drive sane she is okay, but at complete stops (like lights) if i give her gas too quickly she responds with a bog down and i have to catch her from stalling by shifting N quickly.

anyways thanks for anyone who reads this and helps or whatever
Old 08-17-2009, 03:21 PM
dvs_03gt
4th Gear Member

only other thing i can think before i ever faced this problem was i moved her once to a tire shop, when i drove her of a different flatbed trailer than usually she barely rubbed her cats and maybe the x pipe on the come up slightly onto the bed. i doubt this did anything but i still want to include it into this diagnosis.

ford is trying to charge me 115 dollars to do a maintence check on the vehicle. and 115 if i wanted to test for a faulty pats.

i am not trying to deal with these scams. please help! gracious!

Quick Reply: (2) DTC Codes, PCM Fuse Blown, Help Needed (03 gt) 50k mi