4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

5w-20 vs. 5w-30??

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 03:44 AM
pcs
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jjandascog
Some of the information in the stated post is good, but some is incorrect as below..

"Remember that oil flow is the only thing that does the lubricating"

Wrong, you can have all the flow you want but without pressure the bearings will not have an oil film between the bearing and journals and the bearings will wear out pretty quick.
well u cant have flow in the system with out pressure. flow in a system cant occur w/o a difference in pressure, hence the purpose of a pump. so if oil is moving or flowing their has to be pressure. the flow of oil in the system helps cool the bearings too.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:48 AM
pcs
4th Gear Member

i just stick to what ford engineered their engines to use 5-20 synthetic. u dont want to run thicker oil b/c the mod engine has very tight clearances and the higher weight oils dont flow as easily through the lubricating system and forces the oil pump to work harder to pump oil.

Last edited by pcs; 07-31-2009 at 05:34 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:58 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

well, looks like im switchign to 5w-20. I have been using 5w-30 in my exploder too,...guess i should look into that.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:20 AM
jjandascog
1st Gear Member

"well u cant have flow in the system with out pressure. flow in a system cant occur w/o a difference in pressure, hence the purpose of a pump. so if oil is moving or flowing their has to be pressure. the flow of oil in the system helps cool the bearings too."

No there does not have to be pressure for flow to occur nor does there need to be differential pressure. The gear pump in our cars (or most other engines) uses gears and the clearance between the gears and pump housing to push oil through the system. The cog(s) on each gear pushes oil around the outside of the pump housing creating flow, the resistance down stream of that flow creates pressure (known as head pressure). The clearance between the gears and housing determines the max flow rate for a given viscosity and also the max pressure the pump can apply. The pressure is not applied to anything until something is in the way of the flow, for example the clearance between the main bearing and journals will create a restriction, and therefore you can read a pressure.

I see you are in Yuma, I go there a lot for parachute testing at YPG, it is very hot there in the summer
Old 07-30-2009, 11:50 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

5w30 in the '03 Cobra
5w20 in the '05 GT ....really no difference IMO
Old 07-30-2009, 12:38 PM
HateWhatOwnsYou
2nd Gear Member

No there does not have to be pressure for flow to occur

what do you think moves the oil? "hopes and dreams" ?
oil doesnt natually just flow up from the oil pan, pressure pushes it up there.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:31 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

"well u cant have flow in the system with out pressure. flow in a system cant occur w/o a difference in pressure, hence the purpose of a pump. so if oil is moving or flowing their has to be pressure. the flow of oil in the system helps cool the bearings too."

No there does not have to be pressure for flow to occur nor does there need to be differential pressure. The gear pump in our cars (or most other engines) uses gears and the clearance between the gears and pump housing to push oil through the system. The cog(s) on each gear pushes oil around the outside of the pump housing creating flow, the resistance down stream of that flow creates pressure (known as head pressure). The clearance between the gears and housing determines the max flow rate for a given viscosity and also the max pressure the pump can apply. The pressure is not applied to anything until something is in the way of the flow, for example the clearance between the main bearing and journals will create a restriction, and therefore you can read a pressure.

I see you are in Yuma, I go there a lot for parachute testing at YPG, it is very hot there in the summer

So....then where is the oil pressure guage coming in to play here? How can there not be an pressure? That makes no sense whatsoever..

Heres what I think about oil pressure, this makes more sense
-->http://www.upmpg.com/tech_articles/motoroil_viscosity/

As far as the viscosity ratings go, here is a helpful link.

http://www.upmpg.com/tech_articles/motoroil_viscosity/

Last edited by devongarver; 07-30-2009 at 01:33 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:46 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

I just read a bit more on oil types, and now that I am reaizing it, the Castrol FULL SYNTHETIC I have been using for years, isnt even synthetic anymore. It was changed late in 98', and it is group 3 rating now, not PAOs. I think I am going to switch to Mobil 1...
Old 07-30-2009, 04:40 PM
pcs
4th Gear Member

not that im trying to insult your intelligence but a gear type positive displacement pump or any type of pump has to create a differential pressure to work. as the gear pump moves, like u stated, it simultaneously make a void, low pressure side (suction), and closes a void, a high pressure side (discharge.) fluids flow from a hi press to a low press side naturally so then oil at a higher pressure side from the discharge of the pump will flow through the system and end up at the suction of the pump, low pressure side. so flow will not occur in a system w/o a differential pressure. i think a positive displacement pump was chosen b/c the tend to maintain a constant pressure regardless of how fast they are spinning an operating characteristic of a pos dis pump. here is a colorful pic a gear type pos. displacement pump showing how it works.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:In..._gear_pump.gif
as for the weather, tell me about it. i just got here in dec from VA. its over 100f right now =( so im either inside with a/c or at the river or the pool.

Last edited by pcs; 07-30-2009 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:08 PM
mustangman03
3rd Gear Member

I run 5-30 in my with no problems and its an 03 w/ 120,000 miles on it however it is a full synthetic Amsoil to be exact. Also if you have a 05 up with the 3v in it, it is best to use 5-20 b/c of the VCT wich runs off of oil and it has to be a certain viscoscity to work properly but every man to their opinion

Quick Reply: 5w-20 vs. 5w-30??