4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Help, I lost a ton of acceleration when i put my CAI on!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 08:13 PM
HEAVYMETALMATT
2nd Gear Member

Probably got some crud on the maf during the install. The screen really is useless on aftermarket intakes. You might also have a loose seal in it behind the maf.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:31 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by loweredfourpointsix
i actually do have those charts and those are the ones i was talking about (the ones ima try to upload).. i have no reason to make stuff up especially on here.. lol. if i wanted to make stuff up i wouldnt be running a 13.8 right? and ill also try to dyno it once i throw the TB and aftermarket intake tube.. the one with no ribs in it. im not positive but i have a good feeling ill make more power from the less restrictive intake tube/tb.

it actually makes perfect sense (to me), less restriction in the intake= more air+more fuel= more power. im not claiming to know a whole lot but thats my reasoning behind my post. how would it hurt power?
back to back being the same day? the same shop? same weather conditions? theres alot of variables, and btw dimebag ran a 13.7 bonestock lol.

jus sayin.

btw arguing with cliffy about a 2v is like trying to pick an MMA fight with Anderson Silva.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:35 PM
Choppa
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
The intake path is much more than just a pipe, and replacing the OEM intake with "just a pipe" will as you have found hurt performance. The OEM intake is a CAI, and a rather nicely designed one at that.

The only aftermarket intakes that are worth anything are the JLT units and its clones that have been engineered to reduce standing wave interference-however don't expect miracles with those either because as I said the OEM intake is pretty good.
can this be explained a little more in depth? i have NEVER heard this as long as everything is hooked up right it shouldnt hurt performance and isnt the JLT "just a pipe" looks like pvc with a filter on it, people say thats the only CAI worth the money but to me its the simplest and the biggest eye sore of all the CAIs
Old 07-30-2009, 10:15 PM
GT03 TJS
3rd Gear Member

most of the CAI on the market are made out of some sort of metal....i know my old steeda one was.

now what conducts and holds heat better? metal or pvc style plastic (like the JLT).

you're essentially removing an already efficient rubber/plastic factory intake tube and slapping on something thats gonna soak more heat, i wouldnt be suprised if some people with metal intakes saw a loss...
Old 07-30-2009, 10:30 PM
loweredfourpointsix
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SVTeeshirt
back to back being the same day? the same shop? same weather conditions? theres alot of variables, and btw dimebag ran a 13.7 bonestock lol.

jus sayin.

btw arguing with cliffy about a 2v is like trying to pick an MMA fight with Anderson Silva.
back to back being on the same day... no.. same car, 2 weeks later, same dyno, same temp.... yes. im really not trying to pick a fight with cliffy im just saying what my car put down and this was on the same dynojet dyno. seriously whats my reason to lie? to look stupid? my point being, i was barely able to run a 13.8 with all those mods is proving that i dont have to lie.. i dont have to make things up.. i give it up to dimebag for running a 13.7 bone stock cuz i cant.. much less on a 90 degree humid day in southern california. but OP proved my point that it wasnt the intake that was hurting him.. he gained power after all. oh and i found my original dyno graph which made 226hp. i cant find the one after the intake which made 238hp. ill post both of them next to each other when i find it

Old 07-31-2009, 03:31 PM
lilcrate
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by loweredfourpointsix
back to back being on the same day... no.. same car, 2 weeks later, same dyno, same temp.... yes. im really not trying to pick a fight with cliffy im just saying what my car put down and this was on the same dynojet dyno. seriously whats my reason to lie? to look stupid? my point being, i was barely able to run a 13.8 with all those mods is proving that i dont have to lie.. i dont have to make things up.. i give it up to dimebag for running a 13.7 bone stock cuz i cant.. much less on a 90 degree humid day in southern california. but OP proved my point that it wasnt the intake that was hurting him.. he gained power after all. oh and i found my original dyno graph which made 226hp. i cant find the one after the intake which made 238hp. ill post both of them next to each other when i find it

Can you explain your exact intake setup to get that hp? I am wanting to get rid of the MAC 300 dollar hunk of scrap metal....
Old 07-31-2009, 03:41 PM
loweredfourpointsix
2nd Gear Member

its this
https://www.dragtimes.com/images-cla...0322663738.jpg

its only the filter and heat shield.. i got it for fifty bucks used
Old 07-31-2009, 03:57 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

I put this on my Cobra and didnt notice a damn thing... Just looked good.

You can make a dyno read whatever you want, and not every dyno is the same as the next. I'm not sayin your car didnt make those numbers, Im just saying that I dont think you gained 12whp from a filter swap
Old 07-31-2009, 04:21 PM
loweredfourpointsix
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
I put this on my Cobra and didnt notice a damn thing... Just looked good.

You can make a dyno read whatever you want, and not every dyno is the same as the next. I'm not sayin your car didnt make those numbers, Im just saying that I dont think you gained 12whp from a filter swap
theres a difference from "making" the dyno read number and taking the numbers that it gives you.. i initially made 226whp and i dyno'd it as soon as i put the intake on (it only took 20 min to install) and i made 238whp.. how am i making the dyno read those numbers? the dyno clearly stated i made 12 more whp. theres also a huge difference with your setup and mine.. 1.you prob have other mods right? mine was bone stock i had it less then a month. 2.yours is a cobra man. diff motor. 3. im pretty sure that heat shield is not there aesthetic reasons. im not trying to pick a fight im just stating exactly what my car put down and im behind it 100%..

226whp sounds about right for a stock 2002 2v no?
Old 07-31-2009, 04:36 PM
loweredfourpointsix
2nd Gear Member

by the way,
im sure you know TONS more then me and i respect that.
im just not gona say "ok i made that up, it only made 5whp"
it honest to god made 12whp on the Dynojet Los Angeles Pierce College.

i really hope i can find the dyno graph so i can show you

Quick Reply: Help, I lost a ton of acceleration when i put my CAI on!