4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Brake swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 09:03 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by a_penquin
after removing the axle shafts and swapping them, easyer to swap the hole rear in the end
Why would he pull the axle shafts to pull the brakes off?
I don't mean to sound like a dick but you are giving out bad info on this subject
Old 08-06-2009, 07:33 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by a_penquin
after removing the axle shafts and swapping them, easyer to swap the hole rear in the end

WTF are you talking about? You are going to confuse this poor guy, please, just stop typing.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:04 PM
a_penquin
4th Gear Member

Screw it, Im trying to save a guy a headache. The brackets are a solid plate bolted to the axle with a hole for the axle shaft to go through. He'll know he'll have to pull the axle shafts to remove the factory cobra brackets when he sees it, or realize the GT ones wont line up right and figures it out for himself. Been there on numerous vehicles, numerous times replacing this or that. Its a basic design used across the board to mount calipers. Have fun and good luck with the swap, listen to me or dont, I dont really care, its you putting time into it not me.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:21 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

I have nothing

Last edited by BraMas; 08-07-2009 at 08:53 AM.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:36 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

damn, he even started to have ME going for a minute their, I started to doubt myself.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:15 AM
xterm11
1st Gear Member

If you go with the 11.65 inch rotors you will need the cobra brackets that relocate the calipers. I am in the process of doing this swap and the brackets do not come off without removing the axles (which I found out the hard way half way through the job). If he keeps the stock rotors (9.5 inch i believe) then he can use the gt brackets. It is a huge pain in the *** and had I know I probally would have just stuck with the gt brakes in the rear and done the cobra's up front.

Last edited by xterm11; 08-07-2009 at 07:16 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-07-2009, 07:59 AM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BraMas
Why are you telling him he has to remove that bracket?
Because you got to remove the bracket to put this kit on to allow for the bigger Cobra rotors. http://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/pr..._id=477cPath=6

My buddy went though this, you gotta pull the axles to get the bracket relocated to allow for the larger Cobra rotor.

If he just put the Cobra caliper on the GT rotor, then yes he could use the stock GT bracket, if he goes with the larger Cobra rotor then he needs to do the bracket relocation kit and that does mean pulling the axles to do it.

Lynn
Old 08-07-2009, 08:02 AM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by devongarver
Oy, the brackets from the cobra, will bolt up to the gt, allowing the use of the rear brakes from the cobra, understand?
Only if he uses the GT rotors, if he uses the Cobra rotors then he needs the Cobra relocation bracket kit to allow for the bigger rotors so the calipers will fit.

Lynn
Old 08-07-2009, 08:10 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

We didn't say anything about using the cobra rotors, we said calipers.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:24 AM
xterm11
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by devongarver
We didn't say anything about using the cobra rotors, we said calipers.
Here is the original post:

Originally Posted by Dre's_pony
I have a friend with a wrecked '96 cobra and I was wondering if anybody knows if it would be possible to swap them for the oem brakes on my '00 gt or If it would even be an upgrade.

Thanks
he was asking about cobra brakes, not just calipers or just rotors. We are letting him know that if he wants the complete rear cobra brakes he will need to take out the axles to put on the correct brackets.

Just trying to let the OP know what he is in store for to do the entire swap.

Quick Reply: Brake swap