4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

My results: 4.10 FR gears. MPG and RPM answers.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 12:22 AM
jishead
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: My results: 4.10 FR gears. MPG and RPM answers.

Keep in mind that I was diablo tuned and that I was intentionally trying to drive very steady to baseline the MPG/RPM before/after gears for everybody's info. My normal morning commute includes like 15 stops and a stretch of interstate like 12 miles long at 70MPH. A bit of variety. Like 18 miles total one way. We'll see what happens. I find that I hotrod less when I'm wearing Dockers and it's hot and the A/C is blasting and I just want to get to/from work. Although I must say my 4.6 is has enough torque that you really don't feel the A/C load especially with the Steeda UDPs. Just a mental thing I think. Don't like spinning the engaged A/C compressor at very high RPM's I guess. I kinda want the GT to last.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:23 AM
jishead
2nd Gear Member

If I ever get less than 20 I will sell the car or put the 3.27's back in. That includes a tank where I am getting crazy on a frequent basis.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:24 AM
jishead
2nd Gear Member

Are you at auto or 5-speed? Mods?
Old 07-08-2005, 12:40 AM
Quickshift_02GT
4th Gear Member

I get the same gas mileage as him with a virtually stock GT. I drive almost exactly the same way as he does. He actually said it quite well, like a machine. I watch WAY ahead of traffic to keep track of whats going on at all times. I drive at a constant speed without having to keep blipping the gas to maintain a certain MPH. I never use engine braking, always putting it in neutral and coasting to stoplights. I shift around 2200-2700 most times, and get on it occasionally in short bursts to 100-110MPH on onramps.

On average, with a healthy mix of both city and highway driving I get about 290-310 miles per tank. I usually fill up when it's about 11-12 gallons empty or less. If I had all highway miles and never got on it, I can see getting the mileage he does really easy.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:17 PM
Fat Nick
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: jishead

Are you at auto or 5-speed? Mods?
Check sig. Auto w/4.10, tb, plenum, sct, catback, ud's, cai, spacer
Old 07-08-2005, 09:58 PM
GSXRIntensity
4th Gear Member

Jishead...how do you figure 93 is not good for your car if you are already running 91 octane in your car?! I manual says to run 87 octane. I ran 93 in my stock '02 for 6mths & had hard starts and when I went back to 87 it immediated ran & idled better. I have since had a tune from Jerry from SCT & can't run any lower than 93 octane, but I have never heard of any problems from 91 to 93 octane. Enlighten me please.
Old 07-09-2005, 02:56 AM
jishead
2nd Gear Member

Yo, my question was to 'danteviking' who does not have a sig. You can see where it says in reply to danteviking. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 07-09-2005, 12:29 PM
jishead
2nd Gear Member

I knew that I should not have made that off topic remark about octane and get this started again but what the crap-it is my thread. OK. Here we go: Higher octane gas does one thing and only one thing. It makes your fuel detonate less readily (it makes the fuel less burnable). There is only one reason in the world to run increased octane in your fuel; to reduce the risk of detonation related to advanced timing, boost, malfunctioning engine, load, compression or whatever. In a perfect world, in theory, you should only run as much octane as you need. This is because running higher octane actually can cost more $$$ and yield less performance. So if you thoroughly tested a given 4.6 2v setup and were positive that it never detonates on 91oct, and if you could trust all gas stations to have that exact quality of 91 oct, then you would never ever benefit from buying 93 oct. And in theory, if you bought 93 oct from that same vendor, you would yield slightly less performance because the entire nature of octane is to slow down the burn or flame front. So I was commenting that I have tuned to 91 oct because there are very few 93 oct stations in Fayetteville AR area (this is another story but it has to do with our elevation about sea level, a town a few miles away does have 93 oct but I won't drive 20 miles to fill up). So, even knowning better, when in the St. Louis area, I couldn't resisit the urge to put 93 oct in even knowning that I was wasting money.

When we move a few towns over in a year or so, they have a shell station with 93 oct. I will then at that point experiement with bumping up my timing only if it buys me a couple more ponies.

Hope this helps!
Old 07-09-2005, 02:23 PM
JHonor
2nd Gear Member

Maybe by foot is heavy. I have an 02 GT vert with a 3:55 to 1 rear (because I want to supercharge it later) and I get about 225-250 per tank. I got closer to 300 a tank when the car was brand new, and I do a good mix of city and highway driving.
Old 07-09-2005, 04:52 PM
GSXRIntensity
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jishead

Higher octane gas does one thing and only one thing. It makes your fuel detonate less readily (it makes the fuel less burnable). There is only one reason in the world to run increased octane in your fuel; to reduce the risk of detonation related to advanced timing, boost, malfunctioning engine, load, compression or whatever. In a perfect world, in theory, you should only run as much octane as you need.
what helps is that I didn't know you had a tune, & now I know you live in an area that uses mostly 91. I know what the octane does. I do have to ask though, why did you bother w/a tune so soon for? I'm looking at a 85mm m.a.m., a cat-back, & an h-pipe, & that leaves you w/a sh*t ton of mods to do yet, so why the hurry for the tune? I know the predator can help w/the speedcal, & I am goin to assume you plan on a ton of other mods, so rather than wait on the tuner, you went on a got it early, so you can tune at your convenience? Aside from that speedo error, I don't think your mods warrant the need for a predator, but if you aren't done yet, it doesn't matter.

Quick Reply: My results: 4.10 FR gears. MPG and RPM answers.