4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

HELP! Suspension install issues.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:40 PM
marcuslee842
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
He has already jacked up the arm, but to no avail.

The bolt is "frozen" within the bushing and just spinning around. OP can't really get the WD-40 in there well to free it up either. What he needs is a tool that will tighten up against the threaded end of the bolt and back up on the opposite side, but AROUND the bolt head so it can be forced out. I would not be too happy hitting it with a hammer too hard. I would recommend OP gets a new grade 8 bolt from hardware store of the same dimensions, or get one from Ford. Then...
CUT THE F'ER INTO A 1000 PIECES

Jazzer
Wow Jazzer u just gave me a great idea! I think I can manipulate the ball joint press around the end of the arm to force the screw out! I can't wait to try it in the morning. My suspension was so shot that one of my shocks sounded like it had a ping pong ball in it. If you flip it upside down u can hear something in it drop and bounce a little. I really hope for a night and day in handling difference from this install.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:28 AM
SilvrStang
6th Gear Member

Beat the **** out of it man it will eventually come out. Buy a can of rustoleum. That stuff works great. WD40 is no match for it.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:39 AM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Has the op even tried what I said yet?
Old 08-13-2009, 10:25 AM
marcuslee842
3rd Gear Member

Rustoleum? I will try that if I can't get the bolt to come off. Stridertatical I tried your technique before I even posted but I still couldn't the bolt out. If would have used some brain power I would have been taking pics for a couple write-ups. I see people asking about ball joints all of the time and once I figured out how to use the press they were actually one of the easiest things I had to install. Way easier than the springs or steering rack bushings. Well i'm off to the garage to finish, I will keep you all posted.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:01 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by marcuslee842
Rustoleum? I will try that if I can't get the bolt to come off. Stridertatical I tried your technique before I even posted but I still couldn't the bolt out. If would have used some brain power I would have been taking pics for a couple write-ups. I see people asking about ball joints all of the time and once I figured out how to use the press they were actually one of the easiest things I had to install. Way easier than the springs or steering rack bushings. Well i'm off to the garage to finish, I will keep you all posted.
Paint????thats a new one to me...
Old 08-13-2009, 04:16 PM
marcuslee842
3rd Gear Member

Finished the front but the back is still giving me hell. I think I am going to have to remove the UCA's because I can't get the holes on the end that connects to the differential to line up. I probably should have did that end first i guess. I really haven't been able to make much progress with the lower control arms. I wish I knew someone around my area that could help me with this because I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:29 PM
marcuslee842
3rd Gear Member

I GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks to the air chisel! That is a load off my mind. I have been trying to get that off for days! I also fixed the problem with the UCA's. So I just have a few more bolts and I will be finished with this monster install! WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
Old 08-13-2009, 07:44 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Saweeeeeeet!
Old 08-14-2009, 10:20 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Hey OP, what KYB shocks/struts did you end up choosing? I am assuming they are matched to the lowered ride height of the springs you purchased? I am still debating about lowering my ride, as the roads are not very pleasant around here. But, after looking at those ford C-springs, I think i may be able to pull those off. Anywho,..I have waited on selecting the shocks/struts because of this dilema of mine lol.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:28 PM
marcuslee842
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by devongarver
Hey OP, what KYB shocks/struts did you end up choosing? I am assuming they are matched to the lowered ride height of the springs you purchased? I am still debating about lowering my ride, as the roads are not very pleasant around here. But, after looking at those ford C-springs, I think i may be able to pull those off. Anywho,..I have waited on selecting the shocks/struts because of this dilema of mine lol.
Well, the ones I have now are GR2's which are an OEM replacement. I got these because they were the cheapest and they are temporary. The beginning of January they will be tossed out for some Bilsteins. I just needed some shocks right away since mine were shot with 80,000mi on them. I ran into another snag today, the lca's didn't come with any bolts and the ones from the stockers are too big! So now I have to wait for a ride to take me to the nearest hardware to get some bolts! IF I would have known this I would have just cut the stock ones off instead of careful struggling to get them out and not mess up the threads on them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HELP! Suspension install issues.